www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old April 14th, 2009, 20:45   #1
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Default How To: Bluetooth phone/radio interface

For those of you looking for a cheap mod, stop reading this thread now.

This modification is for a 04-05 Passat already equipped with multi-function steering wheel.

Parts needed:
Bluetooth interface kit (purchased from www.1stvwparts.com). It is a Parrot CK3000 kit variation.
cruise/phone switch for multi-function steering wheel (1J0 959 537 G)

Tools needed:
4 inch long flat blade screwdriver
Torx T-20 screwdriver
Radio removal tool T10057

The kit comes with straightforward clear instructions and required parts except the switch noted above.

Read the instructions through first. Make sure you understand them. Look at the wiring harness supplied. One of the large connectors is just like the one that connects to the headunit in the car. It has a lever. Familiarize yourself with how that lever locks, unlocks, and releases from the headunit.

Put a key in the ignition and turn it enough to unlock the steering column. Turn the column 90 degrees right. Insert the flat blade screwdriver in the small hole in the back of the steering wheel. When it contacts the inner parts of the steering wheel, feel around so that it is on top of a spring wire and then lever the handle up away from the column. At the same time pull the air bag on that side (the cruise switch side) away. It will come loose. Then turn the wheel 180 degrees and repeat the process to fully release the air bag from the wheel.

Do not disconnect the wiring of the airbag. Just rest the airbag to the side in the steering wheel.

Use the T-20 screwdriver to remove the two screws circled in the picture below.

Now lift up the switch and bracket, press the tabs on the connectors to release them. The tabs are in the center of the wiring connectors pictured.

Once the switch is removed, unscrew the bracket screws with the T-20 screwdriver and transfer the bracket to the new switch.

Assembly of the steering wheel is the reverse of removal.

Once the wheel is assembled, you can turn the key to full "on" position and use VCDS (or equivalent) to validate the switches work. Select 16 - Steering Wheel and observe measuring blocks groups 001 and 002. Press the buttons and the displayed values will change.

Turn the key to the off position and turn off the radio.

Use the radio removal tool (one piece in each corner slot) and release the headunit from the car. Pull it out far enough to release the big wiring connector (much easier now that you familiarized yourself in the step above). Then release the antenna cable. It does have a locking tab on the connector. Do not attempt to just yank it off the radio.

Now you have your choice of how to mount the kit parts. I installed the cable by routing the in-car cable to the right side opening inside the radio location, then routing the supplied cable from the left side opening to the right side and connected it there. The small connectors for the blue and black boxes were routed straight back along the left side to exit the instrument panel above the go-pedal area. I connected the supplied cable's large connector to the headunit and the antenna cable, then reinstalled the headunit in the instrument panel.

Next I connected the blue and black boxes, and microphone, per the instructions. Turn on the car, and follow the instructions, along with your phone's instructions, for pairing the phone with the unit. Try out the functions.

Finally, I stuffed the blue and black boxes, plus the extra length of cable up behind the lower center console trim. I'm trying various places for the microphone and haven't decided on a final position yet. I'm also not sure yet that all the alleged fuctions work with the added phone button.
Old April 15th, 2009, 14:45   #2
rydogg
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Passat

MOGolf, how much does all that stuff cost?
Old April 15th, 2009, 16:05   #3
ozpassatwagon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOGolf
Parts needed:
Bluetooth interface kit (purchased from www.1stvwparts.com). It is a Parrot CK3000 kit variation.
cruise/phone switch for multi-function steering wheel (1J0 959 537 G)
Its $249 at the link he gave above...
ozpassatwagon05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 17:57   #4
MOGolf
Veteran Member

and add the cost of the switch. Either buy new at your favorite part place or find one (if lucky enough) in a scrap yard. The switch, new, at the same site is approx. $175. Together approx. $425.

(plus shipping of course)
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:55   #5
fitzski
Veteran Member

Good stuff, Glen.

What happens to the "Cancel" switch for the cruise control?
2004 Jetta TDI-PD [spice red, black leather, 5sp] (RIP)
fitzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 08:59   #6
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzski
Good stuff, Glen.
What happens to the "Cancel" switch for the cruise control?
see picture above. It becomes "MODE".
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:29   #7
fitzski
Veteran Member

OK... just didn't realize it would serve double duty (I figured MODE would be for phone functions only).
2004 Jetta TDI-PD [spice red, black leather, 5sp] (RIP)
fitzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:19   #8
dieselicious
Veteran Member

Default Bluetooth kit for VW Jetta TDI

I have a Passat and I just bought a 2009 Jetta TDI. I would like to use the bluetooth device suggested in this thread; Bluetooth interface kit (purchased from www.1stvwparts.com).

Will this work with my 2007 Passat and my 2009 Jetta TDI?
Thanks in advance.
dieselicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 14:17   #9
MOGolf
Veteran Member

According to their website, yes. Call them and ask to be sure.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:06   #10
Baleyba

Hi MOGolf,

Very interesting mod!
Thanks for sharing it!

Please can you confirm if "mode" button can be used to cruise control too or not ?

Is the sound quality of parrot kit is okay ? I have one in a other car and microphone isn't very good.

Thanks

regards,

Bal.
Baleyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:30   #11
dhuddleson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baleyba

Please can you confirm if "mode" button can be used to cruise control too or not ?
Please go look at post #6, as this was already answered.
2003 Jetta GLS 1.8T wagon (sold)
dhuddleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:34   #12
Baleyba

Re,

I've read this answer:

Quote:
see picture above. It becomes "MODE".
Sorry but it isn't very clear for me.

But what does it mean? "mode" can be used for cancel cruise or not ?
How to know if I want to use this button to stop speed control or to set up phone ?

I don't understand.

regards,

Bal.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 16:18   #13
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Fitzki asked "What happens to the "Cancel" switch for the cruise control?"
MOGolf responded "see picture above. It becomes "MODE"."

It does the cancel function for the cruise. I haven't found any other function for it. Just a different label.

Sound quality is good so I'm told. Microphone quality depends on where you locate it, and how sensitive it is to picking up background noise. You can always supply your own of a different brand. This one looks to be a Garmin microphone.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 16:22   #14
Baleyba

Hi,

thanks for your quick answer MOGolf.

last question:
How can you setup parrot and select differents choices in the vocal parrot menu ? Can you use all the alleged fuctions work with the added phone button?

thanks
Regards,

Bal.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 21:51   #15
SUNRG
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 28mpg@74mph: 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon

out of curiosity, why are people interested in this mod when you could very significantly upgrade the cars sound system, add blue tooth, add ipod control, keep the functionality of the steering wheel controls and all for less than this mod by opting for something like the Kenwood KDC-X993 LINK?

the kenwood has completely customizeable illumination too so you can get a very precise interior lighting match.

if you had to sacrifice the steering wheel controls to upgrade the sound that'd understandably be a deal breaker. but, since you can keep the SW controls with any number of hard-wire or IR adaptors it's not obvious to my as to why anyone would spend $425+ on hardware alone to add bluetooth to a Monsoon system?