2015 golf Sportwagen tdi phase 2 ??

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
What? Show me in the literature the word "mandated" at 70K, go ahead I'll wait. So you're saying at 70K the state won't let you register your car due to outstanding mandates?

VW designed a system to the least requirement they had to meet that was 80K federal emissions with the cheat software, now they need tighter emissions they know there is a higher % of premature failures, so they decided on a marketing ploy that many ate up, a crazy long warranty, and that's what warranties are marketing ploy written on a piece of paper that's it. They were also trying to move 2-3 year old cars at MSRP, they needed to pull every string they could to get people in the dealerships.

Why VW did two separate phase 2 is they are cheap and only want to replace costly hardware once.

What was mandated was phase 1 and that was just to sell NOS cars and those cars met an agreed standard. Phase 2A and 2B are just to maintain agreed compliance, there is absolutely zero reason why you'd have to get 2A. Are emissions better by adding that second o2 sensor?

No state barred and car registrations if they haven't had phase 2A or 2B performed on them.

Also comparing a Gen1 and and a Gen3 does zero but show they are two completely different emissions platform and VW didn't have 1000's of 2014 on the lots unsold.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
This is why I bought a stop sale 2015 in 2017. The warranty if worked right lasts a very long time. Assuming you have a decent dealer and are willing to stand your ground. Not to mention keeping maintenance up to date and not voiding it yourself with aftermarket tunes and such. I have had 2A done so far and at 36k miles.

moon1234

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6MT, 2015 Audi A3 Premium Plus TDI DSG
What? Show me in the literature the word "mandated" at 70K, go ahead I'll wait. So you're saying at 70K the state won't let you register your car due to outstanding mandates?

VW designed a system to the least requirement they had to meet that was 80K federal emissions with the cheat software, now they need tighter emissions they know there is a higher % of premature failures, so they decided on a marketing ploy that many ate up, a crazy long warranty, and that's what warranties are marketing ploy written on a piece of paper that's it. They were also trying to move 2-3 year old cars at MSRP, they needed to pull every string they could to get people in the dealerships.

Why VW did two separate phase 2 is they are cheap and only want to replace costly hardware once.

What was mandated was phase 1 and that was just to sell NOS cars and those cars met an agreed standard. Phase 2A and 2B are just to maintain agreed compliance, there is absolutely zero reason why you'd have to get 2A. Are emissions better by adding that second o2 sensor?

No state barred and car registrations if they haven't had phase 2A or 2B performed on them.

Also comparing a Gen1 and and a Gen3 does zero but show they are two completely different emissions platform and VW didn't have 1000's of 2014 on the lots unsold.

The EPA mandated the equipment change at 70,000 miles. NOT the states. THE EPA.

When a car goes in for emissions testing the manufacturer has to provide a progression curve formula. Meaning "What will the emissions be when the car has XXXX number of miles." The EPA then takes the cars that are submitted, notes mileage and then does the testing. They then look at the design life of the car that manufacturer has listed. For VW that is 150,000 miles. (We all laughed at that, but it was chosen for EPA emissions purposes).

The EPA then uses the progression formula and calculates if the emissions at the design life of the vehicle will still be compliant. If it will not, then the vehicle fails emissions.

For VW that magical mileage was around 70,000 miles. Meaning a car with MORE than 70,000 or so miles will emit more than is allowed. SO, in order to stay compliant for the "Usable Life of the Car" the DPF and other parts MUST be replaced at 70,000 miles.

This does not force the CONSUMER to replace at 70,000 miles, rather it forces VW to PAY FOR REPLACEMENT PARTS at this mileage to keep the car emissions compliant!

Get it now!!! If you do some google searching you can find the PDF that states the formula, how they arrived at the mileage and the stated "Usable Life of the Vehicle."

My whole post was explaining how we can use this fact to OUR advantage. We don't necessarily care of the car is emitting .019 g/mile or whatever the legal limit is. What we care about is "Is the car running fine, no CEL codes, no emissions problems." If the the answer is YES, then keep driving the car as long as possible before replacing the DPF and other emissions components that come with Phase 2b. You only get ONE swap for free so why not make sure you get the most miles out of the first one before swapping to the one and only DPF replacement you will get for free.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If it cracks or gets full of ash or otherwise becomes inoperable, you get one free at any mileage up to the warranty expiration date for your particular car. That could be one or ten or more, depending. At some point in the future it will also be cheaper for VW to buy you out rather than stock these parts and do the repair, in my opinion.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Again, searching VW literature, I have yet to find the word "must" or "mandated" anywhere.

Care to share examples of where you're seeing this?

Are you saying that with a phase 2A car at 70K I can walk in and demand a DPF without codes or CEL and VWoA MUST provide replacement because they are MANDATED? That's a good one.

moon1234

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6MT, 2015 Audi A3 Premium Plus TDI DSG
Again, searching VW literature, I have yet to find the word "must" or "mandated" anywhere.

Care to share examples of where you're seeing this?

Are you saying that with a phase 2A car at 70K I can walk in and demand a DPF without codes or CEL and VWoA MUST provide replacement because they are MANDATED? That's a good one.

https://www.vwdiesellookup.com/pdf/VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen3_Final.pdf

Yes you can demand it as that is exactly when VW is mandated to pay to replace these components. A dealer can NOT sell a vehicle unless phase 2b is completed when a dsg passes 40k miles or a manual passes 70k Miles. You can demand it when you car is past those mileage milestones.

That was the whole point of defining a mileage limit. When you buy a cpo vehicle you must sign a document agreeing to bring the car back at the respective mileage limit for the emissions modifications. I bought a cpo vehicle and that is how I know.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Still don't see the words must and mandated anywhere in that document.

Only thing that's close is this under cars that have less than 40/70K.

"We will notify you when it is time to bring your car in for the second catalyst replacement."

Which would imply they'll let us know we can get new hardware, they hold the cards and give you the green light, not you.

So far we've only received one notification knowing phase 2 was available which we recieved ph2a last May at 36K. Sitting at 53K today, still no new notification.

I'm not holding my breath, If I call up the dealer I'm sure they will say, no codes no parts.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
So far we've only received one notification knowing phase 2 was available.
Same here on my '15 GSW. New leftover car purchased in April '17. Hard to believe I've had it 3 years. Sitting at 13K so I obviously haven't taken it in for Phase 2. Probably never will.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you gotta get out on the roads more, especially now, it's wide open very little traffic.

Just stay in MA, we don't need more of the 'Rona up here!

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
Dang, IndigoBlueWagon, my stop-sale 2015 has 74k at 34 months old. Why buy a diesel and park it? I haven't done 2A or B, car has been perfect (except for the side seat adjustment lever that came off on my original 2015 as well).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Dang, IndigoBlueWagon, my stop-sale 2015 has 74k at 34 months old. Why buy a diesel and park it?
It's my next car, after IBW. Bought it because I figured it was my last shot at a new, diesel wagon with a manual transmission. And I like it a lot. But IBW won't die, and after 18 years and 410K miles, it's like an old shoe. I'll get around to the MKVII, someday.