Misfire running on 3 cylinders

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
cylinder 1 is always on the timing belt side of VW engines..

This failure was a result of piston damage, not a tuned engine.. loudspl's engine is easily putting out double the power of this Passat..

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
Ok I got the pictures to the yard and as it turns out they had the right pisron ready to ship.

So hopefully it will be here early next week. I'm not going to order the head gasket just yet until Jason has a "look see"
Hopefully everything will be in workable shape.
Thanks Thunder for keeping up and chiming in after all the ribbing we gave you :)

This car was driven hard , probably over double digits twice a week for short spells on the Autobahn known as I-684, where if you're not doing at least 80 you get flashed.

In the morning anyways, the evening is a different story, watch out.
Funny thing was it jus goes out from under you from 75 on up, major power band.

This has a BEW cam . At the rime the BHW cam was not available and it was very retarded until Jeff did the tune.
I don't believe the tune had anything to do with the crack.. I believe it was a combinarion of broken tip that made the pit hole you can see.
This probably weakened the piston and the coolant leak obviously didn't help.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
I pulled the manifolds off to take a look.

I thought these PD's didn't suffer from this.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
06' Jetta TDI dsg, 445,000 miles and counting!
Mine was just as bad...actually worse. My intake ports of my cylinder head had over a quarter of an inch on all sides with large chunks built up around the valve stems.

I got as much as I could with a dental pick and then I power washed the heck out of it to get the rest. The stuff is NASTY...and it will stain everything it touches so dont try this around anything of value. Once I got it all cleaned up and back together the car ran much better than before. Granted it had a bad head gasket but it was a slow leak and the seller stated that the car had smoked black for a long time indicating un burntw fuel. It does not smoke at all now.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
if you are going to have the head serviced and checked for warp, whoever does it will clean it. clean your intake manifold as it will be cruddy as well

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^ Whoever does it will clean it if you ask them.. hot tanking usually isn't free..

I try to bring clean parts to my local machinist.. He appreciates that and seems to do a better job..

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
Man this is pretty gummed up. I'm going to remove the electrical components and soak
This in a bucket of Kerosene.

On a side note, does anyone know anything about these washers? They are propane heated with a coil. The guy said the washer works but the burner for coil stopped working. So no hot water. Guy wants $150...

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hmm.. does he know what's going on with the burner? They're usually worth fixing.. Definitely worth $1500 but it's huge for just a pressure washer if you aren't planning on making it fully functional again..

As far as the gummed up parts go, don't bother soaking them in anything, just spray some simple green on them and blast them off with a pressure washer of some sort.. most of it will come right off..

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
soaking the parts in just plain water lossens up that stuff just fine overnight is best.
It then will just flush out with a garden hose

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok got everything cleaned up pretty good.

Hope to get this over to you Saturday Jason..

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
Tracking # ups says it will be delivered Friday.

I didn't order any of the gaskets yet or the bolts. I should probably change the the temperature sensor on the rear of Head and I need a new turbo oil feed line.

Maybe a list of what I need.
Is your plate pretty full at the minute? I can leave the car for a couple of weeks if you have room to store it.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok the UPS man just arived.

Looks like its in decent shape.

Jason let me know when you think you will have some room to accommodate this operation.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Rod weight compared to others is not critical. The engine has inherent imbalances so a little mass here or there is not a big deal. Length is a super big deal, but should be close. Measure and compare to other rods, or pop it in the hole and measure piston protrusion.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
weighing the old rod and this rod will give a pretty close idea if it will be a go.. Protrusion will be the all important factor.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I decided after much thought and getting turned down by U haul for car dolly rental to dig in and change out the piston and put this back together.

Sorry Jason :(.. You probably don't appreciate those jobs anyways finishing what a shadetree guy started. Akin to a half eaten sanwich I would say.

I got the frame dropped and engine mounts brackets off and the pan all out.

Luckily, if thats what you call luck, the piston was accessible without removing the gear driven assembly balance shaft.
This is a look from underneath

[/URL]
The bolts came off easily and slid the piston right up from top.
My scientific method of measuring for size. I clamped both pistons onto a straight piece of oak and sat them down on board.
They line up perfectly.
[/URL]

I'm awaiting the delivery the gaskets from ID parts tomorrow . I also got new thermostat and housing and the temp sensor in back of head.

Then the fun begins putting it bask together.
Does anyone have a tutorial on getting the timing correct after a dismantle like this?

Now to get his Honed.

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you didn't mention new rings, just gaskets. how does the bearing shell look?

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
x Head Gasket [3-hole] (B5.5 BHW) () = $38.95
1 x Head Bolt Set (BEW)(BRM)(BHW) () = $22.95
4 x Harmonic Balancer Bolt (A5 BRM)(B5.5 BHW) (BRM_harm_bal_bolt) = $4.40
1 x Coolant Temp Sensor Green 4pin w/Seal and Clip (A4) (a4tsensgr) = $12.95
2 x Connecting Rod Bolt (A4 BEW)(B5.5 BHW) (bew_conrod_bolt) = $11.00
1 x Turbo Install Kit (B5.5) (boltkit_(B5.5)turboi) = $9.95
1 x EGR Seals (A4-BEW) (BEW_EGR_SEAL) = $8.80
4 x Exhaust Port Gasket (turboexhportgasket) = $15.80
1 x Reinzosil Universal Sealing Compound (oilpansealant) = $13.95
1 x Fuel Filter Tee (A4)(B5.5) (fuelfilterteea4) = $12.95
1 x Fuel Filter [Hengst] (A4)(B5.5) (a4hengstfuel.jpg) = $23.95
1 x A4 BEW & B5.5 Oil Change Kit 505.01 (BEW_BHW_Oil_Kit) = $43.95
Drain Plug Standard
Oil Pentosin HP2
1 x G13 Coolant 1 Gallon (g12plpl_1gal) = $23.95
1 x Thermostat [OEM](A4)(A3)(B4) (a4thermostat_OEM) = $39.95
1 x Thermostat Housing/Coolant Flange (B5.5 BHW) (bhw_thermo_housing) = $18.30
8 x Copper Pinch Nut (13mm) (turbocopnut) = $7.60
1 x Turbo Oil Feed Line (B5.5 BHW) (oilfeedlineB55) = $81.00
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $390.40

Corey put a bunch of stuff together for me. Those 18mm bolts on the subframe are stretch as well but people have re used them. Maybe stick some thread locker and tighten up without the last quarter turn.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you were competent enough to get the head off, I'm sure you have it in you to put it all back together..

Getting the timing correct is no different than doing a timing belt job really.. Depending on when you're ready, I might be able to run up there and give you a hand setting up the timing belt if you're not comfortable with it..

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Jason, I appreciate it. I thought you might be a bit annoyed at me for trying this since it was supposed-to be coming your way. So I may take you up on that offer with appropriate compensation of course :)

I thought I read where you line up all the pistons center way in pot so they are even and similar for cam with valves. Then you know where you're starting from.
Could be wrong.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you may regret not ordering rings and since you are using the rod you got, you ought to throw in a new bearing at least. You won't regret the additional 140 bucks for these if you end up not having a "smoker".

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I 2nd that /\