2 problems

ballface

TDI
98 New Beetle
ok so I recently traded my Jetta for an NB and I have two problems that I have been working on that I could use some help with from the club

1. glow plugs. car is throwing glow plug CEL I think code p0380 from what I recall when scanning it the other day. I tested them tonight with a multimeter and from left to right they read: nothing, 1.0, 1.2, 1.0
first glow plug is obviously faulty and needs to be replaced but what would cause it to not read anything?

2. driver side door lock. the passenger door works perfectly fine; it locks and unlocks with the key and activates the alarm when locked. the driver side does not activate the alarm when locked with the key and will not turn to unlock. car did not come with a key fob so I cannot test if that will work and it is just the key cylinder that is faulty. has anyone else had this problem? I would like to fix it asap as I do not like leaving my doors unlocked nor do I want to have to go through the passenger door everytime I want to get into my car if I do lock them. sidenote: do not know if this is related, but I have noticed that the driver side window rolls up and down a little slower than the passenger side does.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
the glow plug could have been damaged when trying to be removed, they sometimes 'turn' within themselves(or within the main body), this could cause it to not have a good connection anymore.. hopefully it comes out easily enough. eg: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=381282

the door locks have known 'cold solder' issues in early mkiv's and bad switches throughout all the years.. if 98 is correct you're probably suffering from cold solder issues, if you search around you can see pictures of this, it can be fixed if you know how to solder. It could be both , look at the 'stupid $3 door switch' thread as well.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
the "nothing" reading should probably be rechecked. My faulty glow plug did have a higher than normal ohm reading.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Those are 2 common complaints.
Glow plugs are a simple repair, often at this age the harness may need replaced or re-built, they can get "crumbly".
The door switch needs the panel removed to get to it, in the mean time, never leave the key in the car with the doors closed, windows up, it can lock you out. Double tapping the unlock may be required before locking.

ballface

TDI
98 New Beetle
thanks for the input y'all, gonna order a full set of plugs tonight & just replace all of them and going to take the door apart this weekend to have a look at it

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
thanks for the input y'all, gonna order a full set of plugs tonight & just replace all of them and going to take the door apart this weekend to have a look at it
Spray them twice a day with PB Blaster or WD40 for a couple days.
I sprayed mine cold in the AM and hot getting home at night.
Mine came out real easy.
There's a torque spec NOT to exceed when loosening them or they may break off. :eek:

ballface

TDI
98 New Beetle
Spray them twice a day with PB Blaster or WD40 for a couple days.
I sprayed mine cold in the AM and hot getting home at night.
Mine came out real easy.
There's a torque spec NOT to exceed when loosening them or they may break off. :eek:
How many days should I do this and wait to take them out? My new plugs came in today and I'd like to put them in as soon as possible to get rid of that annoying CEL

ballface

TDI
98 New Beetle
I was going to say the exact same thing. If the OP bought a '98 NB and all it needs initially is a glow plug and a door latch, I'd say that's an easy start on a newly purchased northern NB!:)
Yeah it's been a catch for sure so far! Thing runs great but it's gonna need a little body work in the future as one of the rockers is pushed in and there's some big dents right above the drivers door

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Yeah it's been a catch for sure so far! Thing runs great but it's gonna need a little body work in the future as one of the rockers is pushed in and there's some big dents right above the drivers door
I replaced a set of really rotten rocker panels on my 2000 Beetle last year...posted quite a few pictures in this thread if you're bored enough to read through it. Good luck with the car. I kinda miss my Beetle.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=378342

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How many days should I do this and wait to take them out? My new plugs came in today and I'd like to put them in as soon as possible to get rid of that annoying CEL
I think I sprayed mine 4 or 5 days.
I wanted to be sure it penetrated. :D

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I like wonneber's approach, it works.
When you can, tap it with a small hammer right after soaking.
2 days minimum

ballface

TDI
98 New Beetle
I replaced a set of really rotten rocker panels on my 2000 Beetle last year...posted quite a few pictures in this thread if you're bored enough to read through it. Good luck with the car. I kinda miss my Beetle.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=378342
I was actually reading thru this thread the other day lol. Will definitely use it for help in the future when I do my own

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah I'm really scared of them breaking loose so I'll probably just do this spraying them up until the weekend just to be sure
I don't remember exactly but I think the max torque to take them out was around 25 -INCH- pounds. (not foot pounds)
Someone here will correct me if I'm off a bit.
Mine did not come close to that.

ballface

TDI
98 New Beetle
I don't remember exactly but I think the max torque to take them out was around 25 -INCH- pounds. (not foot pounds)
Someone here will correct me if I'm off a bit.
Mine did not come close to that.
Thanks, I'll try and remember that if it's correct when I go to take them out some time in the next couple days

ballface

TDI
98 New Beetle
Got my glow plug problem all figured out now. Got the new ones in and still had a CEL. I started working my way out from there and come to find out I'm missing the glow plug relay under the dash! Does anyone know the part number for the relay on my 98 beetle? Is it the relay 180?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got my glow plug problem all figured out now. Got the new ones in and still had a CEL. I started working my way out from there and come to find out I'm missing the glow plug relay under the dash! Does anyone know the part number for the relay on my 98 beetle? Is it the relay 180?
I would say look it up @ ID Parts
They are a trusted vendor.
I just got me timing belt kit from them.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, either you need both or either will work. You can call them or PM user IndigoBlueWagon or maybe someone will chime in. Seems strange yours was missing, perhaps they're under the hood? Also be sure to check the fuses, even the ones on top of the battery.