Accidentally started bleeding back-right brakes first instead of front-left; problem?

lukelbd

TDI
2004 TDI Jetta Wagon (BEW)
The service manual indicates that for my 2004 Jetta, I should bleed my brakes in the sequence opposite to the standard back-right, back-left, front-right, front-left. However I stupidly followed the instructions from a very popular youtube video before consulting my service manual, and started with back-right.

Is this a big deal? Should I start again in the correct order, and re-bleed the back-right line? Why does the service manual reverse the recommended bleeding order for 2001+ models?

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Doesn't matter, it's all to do with the abs pump as far as I can tell but as ling as you get the air out it's all good.

I think it's sometimes easier to use a particular method if the system is dry, fronts bleed a lot easier, rears tend to be awkward.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I've never bled the front ones first, unless I was only bleeding the fronts after doing some maintenance on them.

The only vehicle that I've worked on that truly required a strange bleed pattern was a bike with multiple systems, and that was just to allow bleeding of the linked systems. It had a third master cylinder tied to one of the front calipers, actuated by the rotor pushing the caliper up/forward under heavy braking, and applying some force to the rear disc automatically. It was an interesting attempt at non-electronic assisted braking, but fiddly to bleed.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Old school is RR, LR, RF then LF. I pushes air out the back farther from the master cylinder and then then you work closer to the front. It has worked for me for 45 years. I may be a dinosaur but it hasn't failed me yet.

VE1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLX 5spd
MK4s equipped with ESP use the brake bleeding procedure that is opposite of the usual. I don't know the reasoning behind this, but I do know that ESP cars have a master cylinder that is different from non-ESP cars. I'm guessing your car has ESP. If so, I'd do it the right way. It's easy enough.

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
My 2003 Golf does not have ESP and Bently recommends bleeding front to back.

Always wondered why myself and maybe there is a reason but like others have said, don't think it matters that much.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
What matters is how the brakes feel after you're done.

I recently replaced my rear calipers and, although I was using a pressure bleeder, I just couldn't get the brakes to work well until I used VCDS to run the ABS pump bleeding procedure. Of course, I introduced plenty of air into the system by disconnecting lines.

If you haven't disconnected anything and allowed air in, then I'd say it probably don't matter too much what order you bleed the brakes in. It likely only matters if there's air. Then you need to do it the right way to get it out.

For just pushing old fluid out with new fluid going in, I can't see how it would matter what order you do it in.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
The reasoning that I was given when taught the RR/LR/RF/LF pattern was to get the furthest out lines bled/flushed first, and then each caliper from that point on would be a shorter plumbing path and use less fluid.

This was more for flushing fluid out than just bleeding bubbles after pad replacement, though.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Whenever possible, follow the recommended order. Most vehicles are long to short, but there has always been exceptions.