BRM VNT Actuator Replacement Opions

nhkayaker17

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
I've got P0299 and P0101 codes giving me a CEL and Emissions Workshop alerts. I checked the VNT Actuator and it won't hold a vacuum so I figure I'll start with replacing that. What are my options to replace it? I've been looking online but have only found one place that carries the part. It's $369 but I'm not sure why it's so high.

Also, the OEM part number it lists, 03L198716A, also comes up as the actuator for the 2.0 TDI engines. Is this a mistake or do both actuators work for the BRM engine? There are plenty of part manufacturers for the CBAA/CBAB/CBDA/CBDB/CBBB/CBDC 2.0L part.

This is the only place I found that specifically lists the 1.9L BRM TDI VNT Actuator. Can you guys post others that might be cheaper or more reliable options?

http://www.idparts.com/vane-actuator-replacement-kit-a5-brm-p-3218.html

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Actuator on your turbo is not made to be replace and you can not purchase just that part. IDparts makes a modified actuator as you found which will work. That is the only option that I know about or replace the full Turbo.

Note some people have use silicone to rebuild the Actuator so that it holds a vacuum not sure if how that works out.

Good luck

R-Sixxer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 1.9L
"This is a vacuum actuator that pushes out under vacuum."

Shouldn't it pull in under vac?

These parts fail due to the diaphragm wearing out. I had my head/turbo out a while back and was able to fill the little cup underneath with silicone. Still holds a strong vacuum almost a year later!

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta

These parts fail due to the diaphragm wearing out. I had my head/turbo out a while back and was able to fill the little cup underneath with silicone. Still holds a strong vacuum almost a year later!
BRM push the rod out under vacuum. I am sure it is pulling from the bottom in that it is a vacuum but the way the rod moves is out/down.

nhkayaker17

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI

I checked around and apparently Hans Auto sells cheap Chinese made parts. for $129 I would've purchased a new part at that price but since the ID Parts actuator is $369 I think I'll try to repair the original.

My question to you is what kind of silicone you used to repair the actuator. Did you use a high temp silicone? The turbo gets hot but I'm not sure how hot the actuator gets/

Also, Do you think it is possible to apply silicone without removing the actuator? From the pictures I've seen, I might be able to get a nozzle or even a q-tip with silicone on it up into it while only removing the intake piping.

R-Sixxer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 1.9L
I checked around and apparently Hans Auto sells cheap Chinese made parts. for $129 I would've purchased a new part at that price but since the ID Parts actuator is $369 I think I'll try to repair the original.
My question to you is what kind of silicone you used to repair the actuator. Did you use a high temp silicone? The turbo gets hot but I'm not sure how hot the actuator gets/
Also, Do you think it is possible to apply silicone without removing the actuator? From the pictures I've seen, I might be able to get a nozzle or even a q-tip with silicone on it up into it while only removing the intake piping.
I just used what I had on hand, Permatex Ultra Black Hi-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker. You may be able to get a nozzle up into the cup and just goop it full and let it set. Perform a vac test after to ensure it worked. This is a complete bodge of a fix and if it works, great! (it held up for me) But if not at least you tried.