cell phones - ugh

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
If I notice the person behind me looking down frequently, I'll time it just right and about squish carpet with the brake petal, and hold it until they look up, then about **** themselves.

I love it.

Michigan law default, if you rear end you're at fault.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
So what's going on in front of you while you're playing games with the guy behind you?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The real problem is NOT what the driver is doing (eating, talking, texting, etc).
The real issue is what the driver is NOT doing - paying attention to driving the car.

Piloting a ton or more of steel on the highway at a mile a minute (or more), or on a busy city street requires undivided attention. Anything less than that is potentially dangerous. Anything that takes your attention away from driving is bad, but anything that takes you eyes off of the road in front of you is even worse. We are all occasionally guilty of being imperfect and breaking "the rules". We just have to remember to keep our priorities straight and our attention on the task at hand as much as possible.

Have Fun!

Don

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
The increase in accidents nationwide due to texting while driving is a well known fact. I work at a University, and I've actually witnessed one accident recently and hear about friends and colleagues getting rear ended by texters. It is even indirectly affecting insurance rates (no one admits to doing it!). It is really bad for teenagers, with deaths, every day. When I hear my text alert, I wait for a red light, or ignore it until I am at my destination.

However, I use bluetooth as seemlessly as having a conversation with a passenger. Steering wheel controls are instantly accessible, and my fingers know where they are now. Answering calls, and making calls is not distracting at all for me. I am used to it. Used properly, bluetooth saves lives because you do not have to take your eyes off the road any longer than it takes to check your speed (look at the speedometer). You don't have to find/touch the phone at all.

I am an extremely actively defensive driver (especially after getting nailed last November!). I can actively keep track of drivers around me while using bluetooth. I pause my conversation if any drivers get too close or don't seem to see be yielding. No problem. I do it all the time.

In fact, having two or more children in the car is way MORE distracting than making/answering a call using bluetooth! It is fantastic.

Nav, on the other hand, takes MUCH more attention to follow. Staring at your radio screen is dangerous. It takes your eyes off the road, and breaks your attention to the road much more than children!

I can change stations using the steering wheel controls, too. Much safer than reaching for the radio.
And that's one of the reasons I don't care for phone based navs. The integrated puts all you need to know in the MFD that gets seen on a guage scan, and also audibly . . . never requiring a look at the radio screen . . .

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
So what's going on in front of you while you're playing games with the guy behind you?

I use the rear view mirror, keeping my face forward at all times, a quick eyeball twitch left and right...

Not looking down at my lap, steering with knees while trying to touch a tiny bity screen, making sure there no typos before hitting send....

We both know there's a huge difference and just because I'm using the mirror to catch a highly unsafe action doesn't make or put me in the wrong compared to looking at the rear mirror to check for a vehicle behind me that isn't "texting" or for any other reason....

In all honesty i have a terrible habit of hitting all 3 mirrors with my eyes every 30 seconds or so. Keeps me updated if I need to make a quick correction with my driving...

Looking through only the windshield doesn't tell me ****, that's how I know about the idiots behind me!!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
And that's one of the reasons I don't care for phone based navs. The integrated puts all you need to know in the MFD that gets seen on a guage scan, and also audibly . . . never requiring a look at the radio screen . . .
many cars with built in nav don't have the MFD screen to glance at for directions but only display on the radio screen. That's why I still prefer a separate garmin/tom tom/(your choice). I mount it in the bottom left corner of the windshield. Where the NC inspection sticker used to go. I can see the directions without taking my eyes off either the road in front of me or the mirrors.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
If I notice the person behind me looking down frequently, I'll time it just right and about squish carpet with the brake petal, and hold it until they look up, then about **** themselves.

I love it.

Michigan law default, if you rear end you're at fault.

and you better hope they don't have a dash cam.

Brake checking someone is also illegal and will make the accident YOUR fault.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
You do all that with "a quick eyeball twitch"?

I use the rear view mirror, keeping my face forward at all times, a quick eyeball twitch left and right...
We both know there's a huge difference and just because I'm using the mirror to catch a highly unsafe action doesn't make or put me in the wrong compared to looking at the rear mirror to check for a vehicle behind me that isn't "texting" or for any other reason....
I don't know any such thing.

What you say you are doing requires as much or more attention as the clown texting is devoting to his phone.

Trying to justify it by saying you are catching a highly unsafe act is just silly.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
and you better hope they don't have a dash cam.

Brake checking someone is also illegal and will make the accident YOUR fault.
Hahaha. Wrong.

I rear ended someone from 2 other ****s with road rage in front of me.

Me and the guy I hit both argued he was brake checking and being unsafe.

His excuse? Rabbit crossed the road.

Would a camera made a difference? Probably. Probably not. But then it's only what the camera can catch at that point.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I try to always remember the first rule of Italian driving. Makes my driving much less stressful
What'sa behind, is not importante

... except that if circumstances warrant a quick slow-down, it's worth a check behind to see if what's behind has any chance of stopping. If there's a dump truck back there, it may be better to run a stale yellow light than to stop and get flattened.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Heck, in Charlotte, no one slows for yellows. You'd better be watching for what's behind you if you are even thinking of stopping for that just changed red light. I was leaving for lunch the other day and when my light turned green, the first car went. There were then four cars in the intersection. Three from the cross street and him. Not sure how no one ended up trading paint.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What'sa behind, is not importante
... except that if circumstances warrant a quick slow-down, it's worth a check behind to see if what's behind has any chance of stopping. If there's a dump truck back there, it may be better to run a stale yellow light than to stop and get flattened.
Agreed.. I'm typically aware of what sort of vehicles are behind me, usually 2-3 cars back at all times, so that's definitely a consideration when I'm deciding whether or not to stop short for something. I'd much rather run a light or run over a racoon than get pushed a few hundred feet by a truck that couldn't stop as quickly as me.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hahaha. Wrong.

Would a camera made a difference? Probably. Probably not. But then it's only what the camera can catch at that point.

Around here it makes all the difference since you can see the minute or so leading up to it. It's pretty obvious when it's a legitimate panic stop versus brake checking. A judge will rule against someone brake checking almost every time in this neck of the woods

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Hahaha. Wrong.

This is getting better and better.

I think you should spend less time worrying about cell phone users and more time looking at what's in front of you.

Then you won't rear end people even if they are playing games.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
For the record, I wasn't messing around. I don't think I even had a phone at the time.

They both passed me playing games. Guy2 tries to pass guy1. Guy1 swerved into oncoming lane to block Guy2, and brake checked. Guy2 rear ended him. I was the caboose, I had to wait until last moment to find out where they would stop swerving . Actually was watching them for a few miles until they passed me. I tried to dodge the headache. Lost a headlight trying to counter dodge them.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Voice commands works fine in my car.