Intermittent key stuck in ignition

TDICube

Veteran Member
2006 Jetta TDI with DSG. After turning off the engine, the key will intermittently stick in the ignition. I move the shifter and switch the car from on and off then I can remove the key.
Is this an interlock or key/ignition issue?
Thanks in advance,
TDICube

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Just for clarification, is it getting stuck with the gear selector in Park? Just asking, because IIRC you cannot remove the key with the gear selector in any other gear. I can't confirm though, I no longer have a car with DSG and an ignition key.

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
I had this symptom about a year ago. it progressively got worse. one morning last January i could not turn the ignition at all to start. I tried all 3 keys. the lock had actually failed. had to have a locksmith come out, which was cheaper than the dealer. good luck

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
Does it do it to all spar key's

TDICube

Veteran Member
Thanks for responses!
Two keys were sticking
Some tea was spilled around shifter; squirted some WD-40 around shifter button and lightly lubed key with WD-40.
Key has not stuck after lubing.
TDICube

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
I had this experience this week. This past weekend, the key in ignition became difficult to turn. This morning the key would not turn past the accessory/wheel unlock position. Same thing with spare key, so it is definitely the lock and not the key. I ended up calling a tow truck to tow car to dealership for lock repair. I'm hearing that it may be a few days wait for a new lock to be keyed and delivered.

I had this symptom about a year ago. it progressively got worse. one morning last January i could not turn the ignition at all to start. I tried all 3 keys. the lock had actually failed. had to have a locksmith come out, which was cheaper than the dealer. good luck

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
Update on my ignition lock issue: The ignition lock and steering wheel lock are broken; repair will be $512. Ouch!

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
This happens to me also, but luckily during 3 year warranty
I see a lot of these posts re key cylinder issues on VW
Car towed to dealer, had new cyl rekeyed to match original
Must be that German engineering.

esteeze

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 Jetta TDI
Finally repaired. Was without my vehicle for 9 business days... 8 of which were just waiting for the new lock and related parts to come in. Fortunately, I had easy access to another vehicle during that time.