Amateur Radio Install

AtlantaRene

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG w/Sunroof and Nav
After 2 years of owning my Passat. I am finally getting around to installing an amateur radio in the car. I have worked out the details of the antenna and I have a plan for the display, etc. The two items remain is the best way to route a fused power line directly from the battery to the trunk.

First, I understand is a spot to get through the firewall but I was wondering about the Gassers that have the battery in the trunk if there was a better way to route power cables. Secondly, I am looking for a place to mount the radio either under the back deck or against one of the sidewalls in the trunk.

If anyone has done this and can post examples to their work, I'd like to get started on the project this weekend.

Thanks,

AtlantaRene

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
What radio, Brand/model?... Several hams here that might jump in if you give us some details!
For a 50 watt VHF/UHF you can just go to the fuse box to the left of the steering wheel.

Comet makes a nice vertical that is not too big or small. (Comet SBB-5(NMO or VHF mount))

Or were you thinking of HF? Have you seen the new Icom ID-5100? GPS, D-Star and a huge touch screen.

Bill

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
I have a midland that came with a power supply that plugs into the lighter. I can easily unattach it and put a battery back and have it dismounted. I ran the k40 antenna with a magnetic mount on my trunk. Cable thru the trunk then back seats and under floor mats.
Love it. Especially on longer work commutes

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I have a midland that came with a power supply that plugs into the lighter. I can easily unattach it and put a battery back and have it dismounted. I ran the k40 antenna with a magnetic mount on my trunk. Cable thru the trunk then back seats and under floor mats.
Love it. Especially on longer work commutes
I am assuming you are talking a CB, with a max output of 5 Watts? They are talking about HAM radios. The portable 2M's are 50 Watt. Not something you typically want going through your lighter port for long periods.

AtlantaRene

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG w/Sunroof and Nav
I am planning on installing a ICOM ID-5100 FM/D-DSTAR VHF/UHF radio. It's maximum current draw is 13 Amps. I normally direct feed to the battery due to the current draw and I occasionally operate with the key off. The antenna mount is a Diamond HRKS and the Comet SSB-5 is one of two antennas I use. I have a short and a long antennas depending on what I am doing. I plan on using a suction cup mount for its big screen (If it works).

I hold a General class license but haven't done HF mobile -- maybe in the future.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
As an old ham that has not been on the air for a while just where can I find repeater frequencies and wht it takes to get on the 2 meter and 400MHZ bands. My father-in -law left me hos old radios years ago and I just pulled them out to see about hookin gthem up.
There is a Yaesu FT 757 GX and two two meter/440 rigs.
I have no idea about current methods etc.
I have an Advanced and 1st class commercial and understand the techincal side of things, just havent been in a QSO for many-many years.
I live in the Mobile AL. area.

Thanks,

KE4MD.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
The ARRL still offers thier repeater directory, both on paper and electronically.

- Tim

Vmwalker

TDI
2013 Passet TDI SEL Premium Reflex/Moonrock
Radioreference.com has a good listing of repeater frequencies and any tones needed to access them.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
As an old ham that has not been on the air for a while just where can I find repeater frequencies and wht it takes to get on the 2 meter and 400MHZ bands. My father-in -law left me hos old radios years ago and I just pulled them out to see about hookin gthem up.
There is a Yaesu FT 757 GX and two two meter/440 rigs.
I have no idea about current methods etc.
I have an Advanced and 1st class commercial and understand the techincal side of things, just havent been in a QSO for many-many years.
I live in the Mobile AL. area.

Thanks,

KE4MD.
http://w4iax.net (Mobile Amateur radio club)
http://www.w4iax.net/repeaters.htm (Repeater list, 75 Mile radius of Mobile Alabama)
List of Ham Clubs in the region. http://www.w4iax.net/links.htm

That should get you started! Have fun!

Bill

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6M MKVII, 2011 Golf TDI 6M (bought back)
There are a few repeater apps for android and iOS as well. I'm searching for a mobile antenna solution. I'll probably go with a hitch mount solution. I don't want any damage to my paint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
There are a few repeater apps for android and iOS as well. I'm searching for a mobile antenna solution. I'll probably go with a hitch mount solution. I don't want any damage to my paint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HF or VHF/UHF?

By all means use a hitch mount for HF, or a Comet/Diamond hatch mount for VHF/UHF.
Hatch mounts do not damage the paint, but do shade it so that over a period of years the rest of the car can fade....!

Bill