How low will Sirius renewal offers will go?

numl0ck

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
How long have you been without your trial subscription? Mine expired 6 weeks ago. I got a few calls before it expired, which is when I told them I would renew for $77. At that point in time, they weren't willing to honor that price, so I said "Never mind, then. Give me a call when you are willing to sell it to me for $77, and I'll renew at that time."

Surprisingly, I haven't heard from them since. I would have expected Sirius to be all over me to sign up by now. :confused:
It expired early September. I called before it expired and told them I wanted the $77 price, but they wouldn't give it to me at that time, so I let it go. I got a few phone calls and tons of mail before it expired, but none of them went any lower than $150/yr so I walked away. Why it's turn on all the sudden, I have no idea, but I'll take it! :eek:

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Since I have 2 2010 models I tried to get two 3 yr deals, with 50% off the second. I even spoke to the manager, but they were not willing. I just wasn't interested in tying up that much money. They don't seem to be in the mood for much haggling these days. There are too many other options, IMHO, to justify giving that much money to Sirius.

puffy

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
So here's a fun one....

Driving into work this morning, listening to NPR on the FM radio when I hear the "bong" artist/song alert; I look down at the stereo and sure enough “Channel 21, Phoenix”. I tap the button and I get a "Subscription Status Changed" message, which I acknowledge and now I'm bopping along to Phoenix on Sirius. :confused:

I never renewed, they don't have my credit card info...so is this another demo period or maybe a mistake?? I'll take it, for as long as it lasts. :D

Wow! I'll have to check if my 2011 JSW has a way to set an artist/song alert on Sirius. The only receiver this has worked on for me was my first Sirius receiver unit. It was one of those stand-alone units that you then play through the stereo with an FM transmitter. All of my other cars with built in Sirius (Range Rover, Porsche (911 Carrera but I had them install the Cayenne satellite radio unit in it), Jeep) have never had that ability.

siriusxmfan

TDI
2011 Black JSW- "BOND"
They will Lower

Had to chime in here. Called to Cancel three radios in the house, and one in my wifes 08 Jetta(We bought a 2010 Jetta TDI on Halloween) anyway, they screwed up and Charged me for renewal, along with a cancellation fee, needless to say, I was ripped. After 90 minutes on the phone, I got one year of Sirius for $60.00. Now I get multiple "Please come back" letters and emails. Last week, we bought my 2011 sportwagen, They will give me 3 months free, they will move the $60.00 a year subscription to my sportwagen, My wife did a lease on her TDI and got 6 months free. I really like satillite radio(Obviously) but their system is a mess, it depends who you talk to when your on the phone. I keep a running list of what radio is up next for renewal. I never, ever pay full price. I have two xm receivers that plug into those radios I mentioned earlier that I had canceled, they all have an AUX port, when I had my chevy, I got those two receivers for free and got home kits from ebay. When I go to cancel, they then say, well, for $19.99 for 5 months, you can have service, and I take it! It does chew some time, but well worth it. One time that actually went through and canceled it. I knew they would call back, and they did, I got even a better deal then as I made it sound like my world had come to and end when they made no renewal offer. Like I said, it depends who you talk to. And as always, be polite, that helps for sure.

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
My Sirius is back on for a free trial, after my initial 6 months expired in September.

I'm not sure how long the free trial is for, but I think I'll take advantage of the $77 annual renewal next time Sirius turns off the service.

Last edited:

Skyhook

TDI
2010 Jetta
I have been watching their stock tank. One would think that they should take what they could get at this point.

At this point there overhead is fixed. They are banking on a certain percentage of new car owners to keep their subscription active and keep the cash flow going. Without that in with the auto manufacturers my guess is they would be doomed.

I now have to question whether or not my "lifetime" subscription will actually outlast the radio, or will they go bust?

numl0ck

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^ That's why I don't want to sign up for the lifetime subscription. Their business model is flawed, and unless things change, they won't remain financially stable.

mike100

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 6M TDI
I had a number of repeat calls at inopportune times, but the last one I had a minute to ask them about the half price offer at $77 plus fees. They said no way so I said they were gonna have to let the service expire.

I have another car with XM that I only drive once a week- gonna let that one go to. The service is nice, but radio is still pretty much free.

I know some people are getting the discount- I might have to try a different rep. I was kind of blunt as I didn't want all the conversation- give me the $77 deal or I'm done- yes or no. They said no- so it's gone. I haven't had another call from them.

RPS99SHO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I have only had one call. I told them to cancel when they didn't bring the price down. I got an email a few days ago offering 6 months free. I will renew with that deal once the free Sirius goes away. My free trial expired a week ago but I'm still getting most of the channels.

RPS99SHO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
My free 6 month trial ended today (7 months after buying the car). I called and they offered me the $77/yr deal before I even mentioned I got an email about it.

Maybe now is the time to try and get the deal if your subscription has expired.

~ Roman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
I called them (just to be different) and asked to renew. They could not find my ESN, so I was transferred to a supervisor whose starting offer was 77/yr with an 11 dollar performance tax, and a 2 dollar fee to have them send me a paper bill (Use a credit card and you get *auto renewal at the then current rate* for-evah. efff that.

RPS99SHO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I called them (just to be different) and asked to renew. They could not find my ESN, so I was transferred to a supervisor whose starting offer was 77/yr with an 11 dollar performance tax, and a 2 dollar fee to have them send me a paper bill (Use a credit card and you get *auto renewal at the then current rate* for-evah. efff that.
Yep, I made sure not to give them a CC and request a paper invoice via snail mail. I do not want them auto-renewing on my CC if I forget to cancel in a year.

~ Roman

Biffster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
My intro service ended last month. Sirius wanted me to renew for $155/yr. I let it expire. Now they're offering half off; $77/yr. I didn't listen to Sirius very often but I'm thinkin' about it at this level. Should I hold out longer? Will they go lower yet?
I just received my $77 "50% off" yellow letter in today's mail.

I let the free subscription expire on November 26. The calls began about one month before the expiration, and the letters before that. They made various offers, but they were all in the $150+ range. I said I wanted a better price, but they wouldn't budge, so I refused -- stating that it's not worth $13/month to me.

I think the key is to be patient and wait for the $77 letter to arrive. So you'll be without Sirius for 2-3 weeks, but everything else works fine, and the SD slot works GREAT!

$77/year is worth it to me, but that's about it -- that, and I have a thing for the number "7" :D

sportwagen rick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 SportWagen
My free trail expired about a week ago. I've never received a call or letter. I was thinking about calling them an asking about the $77

Biffster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
My free trail expired about a week ago. I've never received a call or letter. I was thinking about calling them an asking about the $77
Hey Rick,

If you have not received ANY calls or letters that would mean your dealer never gave Sirius your contact information. I would give them a call (have your radio's ESN handy). I was never able to reach anyone that would give me the $77 offer, so I decided to wait... and it paid off.

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Whoa whoa whoa. No calls? Then you need to call and activate the trial subscription, wink wink. Sirius doesn't know when the car was sold... don't be crazy - just call em up and tell them you want to activate the 6 month trial.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Anyone got the current promo code handy?

numl0ck

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
My accidental "free" subscription ran out, and the following day I received the yellow letter for $77/year (which comes out to $90something after taxes and fees) and I caved and resubscribed. Pandora was just a little too much of a hassle when driving around town.

As far as I remember, there is no promo code, just call and say you want it. She didn't ask me for a promo code, it was their "current promotion."

RPS99SHO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Whoa whoa whoa. No calls? Then you need to call and activate the trial subscription, wink wink. Sirius doesn't know when the car was sold... don't be crazy - just call em up and tell them you want to activate the 6 month trial.
I got an extra free month this way. Bought the car in may and registered with Sirius in June. My subscription expired about two weeks ago.

~ Roman

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold
The next time someone is negotiating a renewal could you please ask if they will include the best of XM, (MLB) and internet access? Thank you.

medic1530

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I bought my 2010 Jetta TDI in Oct '10. When I called to activate the Sirius promo they told me the promo lasted 12 mo.s not 6 mo.s. Who was I to argue?

myzamboni

TDI
2010 4Dr TDI Golf (CW)
The next time someone is negotiating a renewal could you please ask if they will include the best of XM, (MLB) and internet access? Thank you.
They charge extra for internet access now:(

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
I got an extra free month this way. Bought the car in may and registered with Sirius in June. My subscription expired about two weeks ago.
~ Roman
how funny my name is Roman as well,
i took delivery of my car beginning of June, and its been over 6 month now *(by about 10 days) my SIRIUS is still working fine. does it always expire on exact date of 6 month? or will it happen any day now?
i wasnt going to renew if Howard left, but now that he's staying ill be willing to pay $77/year.
also, since i bought my car, my cell phone # has changed. i informed my VW service guy at 5K check up, but im sure it has nothing to do with SIRIUS, and i also moved from my old address so i dont think they will be able to get a hold of me. should i just wait untill SIRIUS stops working and then call them to update all the info/renew, or try to update my contact info now?

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
also, since i bought my car, my cell phone # has changed. <snip>, and i also moved from my old address so i dont think they will be able to get a hold of me.
Man if it only it were that easy. :eek: This is a Sirius company, with Sirius telemarketers on staff. I've had better luck dodging bill collectors, the BATF, and my mom than I have had dodging Sirius telemarketers and mailings.

The mailman will sell you out. They will find you. Don't get nervous and 'jump' and it may last a little longer.

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
how funny my name is Roman as well,
i took delivery of my car beginning of June, and its been over 6 month now *(by about 10 days) my SIRIUS is still working fine. does it always expire on exact date of 6 month? or will it happen any day now?
i wasnt going to renew if Howard left, but now that he's staying ill be willing to pay $77/year.
also, since i bought my car, my cell phone # has changed. i informed my VW service guy at 5K check up, but im sure it has nothing to do with SIRIUS, and i also moved from my old address so i dont think they will be able to get a hold of me. should i just wait untill SIRIUS stops working and then call them to update all the info/renew, or try to update my contact info now?

They will still send you mail, and you can always call them as well. If you have a new phone number, the LAST thing I would do is let Sirius have it.

My last car had Sirius and the trial. I did not renew just as as I wont be renewing in this car. Just not worth it to me. Anyhow, Sirius was HORRIBLE with their tactics. They kept calling and calling and calling and calling and calling...at least 1x a day, for close to FOUR MONTHS before they quit. After the first 5 times I actually picked up and told them I didnt want it and to stop calling, they never did stop calling. Gave it a couple weeks thinking maybe just needs to get through their system, but eventually realized they werent going to stop trying. I had to create a ringtone that was nothing but silence, add them as a contact, and assign them that ringtone to stop being bothered by them. That was the only good way I could find to block them. Absolutely rediculous!

Biffster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
I just took the $77 deal. When she said that the service will "automatically renew at the then-current rate for my convenience" (probably the $155 rate) I asked if I could opt-out of the auto-renewal, but still get the $77 deal. She avoided the question and said that it was for my convenience so I could enjoy Sirius without interruption. When I reiterated my question and said that wasn't an answer she put me on hold and came back about 30 seconds later, saying that I could opt-out of the auto-renewal if I wanted (which was later stipulated on their recording, for the record).

So, I got the standard $77 "50% off" deal *and* no auto-renew, so I can do this dance again this time next year and not have to worry about paying the full-boat price automatically because I forgot to cancel the automatic charge.

Total was $85.32 with taxes, etc.

RPS99SHO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
If you request to be billed via snail mail and personal check as opposed to giving them a credit card they cannot automatically bill you.

Biffster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
If you request to be billed via snail mail and personal check as opposed to giving them a credit card they cannot automatically bill you.
Sure, but now I don't have to wait and I don't have to worry about an auto-renew charge for the full amount showing up next year :D