DIY Headlight Restoration How To Guide

02jetbox

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Finally a solution to my problem! I've been using the 3M headlight kit for the last year now and I've had to repeat the process 3 times. Believe it or not I was so fed up with having to redo it that before I read this I was considering shelling out the coin for new headlights. I should know better than to get ahead of myself before I check out the TDIClub Forums :eek: gotta say I do agree with K5ING, I am curious to see how they look after 6 months or so..

mikey141414

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A 2015 Nissan Rogue, 2017 Sonata Plug in Hybrid
Alright, 6 months and 29 days later, I am still very happy with the results. I can see some scratches have appeared, but not really that noticeable. They have definately lasted longer than the 3m kit I have used in the past. Here are a few pics I took today.

Ben Montoya

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI
Thanks for the update. I did 400, 600, 800, 1500, alcohol, and the same clear coat you used. I couldn't be more impressed with the results! Unbelievable.

Shouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GL - 185k
Maybe I missed it somewhere but are you finding the clear coat at a regular auto parts store?

get dustd

TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi
ha ha love the arcade fire since funeral. Just saw them play. unbelievable. anyways I wonder if a real mixed automotive clear would be tougher or maybe there is something else out there like industrial out door clear. I know automotive clear is soft so it can flex but the headlights really don't need that flex.

Last edited:

Shouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GL - 185k
Just did this a couple days ago. DId 400, 1000, 2000, alcohol, 4 coats of clear coat. I wasn't overly impressed. The clearcoat didn't go on 100% clear. It's not yellow or anything, just not 100% clear. I'm not sure if this is to be expected or if my painting skills suck. Wondering If I should try and clean it up w/ 2000 sandpaper or go straight to polishing.

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
Diy

XPel or LaminX headlight laminate. Also protects your headlights from stone chips. Get the best price on Amazon.com

Shouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GL - 185k
Took some fine polish and a wheel to the headlights today. Came out great. See how well it holds up. Can't imagine why it wouldn't hold up as good as the stock UV protection.

Captain Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
ha ha love the arcade fire since funeral. Just saw them play. unbelievable. anyways I wonder if a real mixed automotive clear would be tougher or maybe there is something else out there like industrial out door clear. I know automotive clear is soft so it can flex but the headlights really don't need that flex.
automotive clear is NOT naturally soft, you're supposed to add a flex additive to it when painting plastic bumpers and similar parts.

I dont know what the crap in the cans is, but I wouldnt use it anyway.

400 grit on very faded lights, or do a 600/1500/2000 grit pattern, buff them out on an 8" wheel and they look new again, been doing it for years on dozens of different cars. I just posted this pic in another thread, I did this.... well yesterday I guess...

Shouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GL - 185k
automotive clear is NOT naturally soft, you're supposed to add a flex additive to it when painting plastic bumpers and similar parts.
I dont know what the crap in the cans is, but I wouldnt use it anyway.
400 grit on very faded lights, or do a 600/1500/2000 grit pattern, buff them out on an 8" wheel and they look new again, been doing it for years on dozens of different cars. I just posted this pic in another thread, I did this.... well yesterday I guess...
So no clear UV protected coat of any kind?

Captain Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
So no clear UV protected coat of any kind?
I don't do it because clear coats chip and peel and scratch just like the plastic will, whats the advantage?? and unless you go and wetsand and buff the clearcoat after it cures, its going to look a little cloudy or orange peely, you can see it in mikey141414's closeups, I can even see horizontal sanding marks in the 2nd pic down....

In the long run, its more work than it is to just wetsand and buff, at least IMO.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
As Upsbroke said...why not put some of that protective headlight film on there...either when the lights are new, or after fixing them up like Captain Morgan does.

I've had 3M stuff on my lights since I bought it. It's a simple matter of removing it and putting new stuff on when you need to. The lights look as good as brand new.
Plus the stuff seems to be very resistant to fading and yellowing.

I've actually never had to remove it. One of my headlights was replaced a few years ago (bumped into a deer) and the other still has the same film on it from when I bought the car new in 2001. The old light is a bit faded when compared to the new light...but it's not a huge difference. The fading seems to be related to small pitting and scratches that have accumulated in the film over the years. I'm eventually going to replace the film on the old light...I just haven't gotten around to it yet...not a priority.

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
X Pel or Lamin X

Like THAT GUY said. I put clear laminate on all of my family's vehicles several years ago. They(headlights) still look the same as the day I put the laminate on. Don't make my mistake though- buy the kit of Amazon.com- much cheaper!

The J

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I just used the harbor freight kit with the drill bit attachment, 2 wet-sanding pads, and a polishing pad with a polishing compound. It was a simple, 20 minute procedure, and cheap at hf prices. The lights look brand new. I will be following this up with a Plastic-X buff and a clearcoat and hope to never have to do this again. Thanks for all the posts on here. Good info!
So while they looked great, they did get cloudy again after a few months. So every 3-4 months, I spend 15 minutes and use Meguiar's Plastic X and the HF abrasive pad drill attachment that had come with the HF headlight kit. Works quickly and makes them look new again.

I will do the clearcoat next time I'm due however.

schumacher62

TDI
2003 wagon, 2009 sedan
thanks for all the input about clearing up and cleaning headlamps guys. however, i have decided simply to replace the headlamps rather than undertake a job which clearly will need renewing and further maintenance annually.

so i found these lamps on sale. i would appreciate any feedback about the install, build quality and even if they will fit my 2003 tdi wagon.

lastly, are all 2003 gas jetta, tdi and jetta wagon lamps the same part number? i dont have foglamps, so i am guessing the 45.95 model will work. if anyone is interested, there is a code for 10% off and free shipping running right now.

http://www.go-part.com/volkswagen-jetta-c-55_863.html?year=2003#HL_

schumacher62

TDI
2003 wagon, 2009 sedan
and i realize we are a thrifty bunch, but some things are best left to those willing to be paid for the effort. here is a san jose guy who only does headlamp restorations, and he is mobile. 60 bucks, two year guarantee.

http://www.lightsavers.org/

mikey141414

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A 2015 Nissan Rogue, 2017 Sonata Plug in Hybrid
That is a great deal on replacement headlights. $90 for the pair is about half of what ECS wants. I would be curious to see how well they fit. I have gotten very cheap parts that required some finessing with an exact-o knife to fit properly. Small price to pay though! If they work out, I would go ahead and get the laminate protector sheets put on. May as well use that money saved to really have a long lasting product.

Thanks for the link! I might jump into that at some point.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Anyone needing replacement headlights (stock) could advertise for them here, or especially on the Vortex. It seems like with everyone putting aftermarket lights into their Golfs and Jettas, there should be tons of fairly new stock lights gathering dust in garages all over the country.

ConvergenceFreak

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon GLS w/ 5-speed swap
mikey141414 kindly replied to my inquiry about how this clear-coat-on-plastic-headlights process had fared for him:

I have kind of gotten out of the TDi game and justed logged in today to put my wifes car up for sale.

I actually sold my black jetta a little over a year ago and the lights were a bit hazey. I still feel like doing the sanding process was worth it considering how bad mine were from the start and the amount of time and money invested to do the cleaning. i think while I had the car, I only did the process once or twice. I started doing a bunch of other cars for awhile so I don't remember exactly. Hope that helps!