factsonfuel.org

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Just found this web site called facts on fuel. It explains how ULSD will affect our cars and explains everything about the phase in period, as well as the EPA regulations.

Additionally, it has an interesting chart showing how taxes affect the price of diesel.

http://www.factsonfuel.org/diesel/index.html

EDIT: As far as taxes are concerned, New York and Alaska stick out. Alaska having the lowest and New York on the other side of the spectrum having the highest.

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Just found this web site : Which appears to be sponsored by the oil industry. It does not really say who set it up.

It should be noted, that while they indicated the link between crude cost and final price, they did neglect to acknowledge that there was a general increase in cost between the two (oil company profit) based on their figures.

As far as taxes are concerned, New York .. having the highest. Actually I believe Hawaii had the highest.

Atjoer

TDI
2001 New Beetle, black
Joe_Meehan said:
Just found this web site : Which appears to be sponsored by the oil industry. It does not really say who set it up.
The domain name is registered by the American Petroleum Instutute (API).

Go to their main site for more interesting facts about fuel.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Its api.org, not api.gov. Its not a government entity.

The Americian Petroleum Institute is in Washington, DC and is the trade assoiation that represents Americian oil refiners and their interests. This group is against alternative fuels, taxing big oil, etc. I interviewed with them once for an API Standards developer position.

--Nate

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver

Well surprise, the oil industry presents in formation that infers that they are not making any big money off the current price of oil. :)

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Joe_Meehan said:

Well surprise, the oil industry presents in formation that infers that they are not making any big money off the current price of oil. :)
Makes sense to me: it certainly explains why the oil companies are making record profits.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
What I found interesting and did not know before was that you actually get more volume of the total products from a barrel of crude than when you started because of expansion.

So a 44gal barrel yields more than 44gal of petro products - interesting!

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Variant TDI said:
10% profit on sales is a record?

I spent 30 years as a tax auditor. In some industries 3% profit is fantastic. I might add that creative accounting can somehow change a very high profit to almost nothing. Accounting is an art form for some.