TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Jeff told me a while back that he has a tune available for the 535d. Tempting.... :)

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
I think Jeff said he can get 240/340 or something like that from the 328d.
Wow - I too need to chat with him! I had a loaner 340i and I gotta say that despite making a claimed 320 horsepower, it felt a lot more powerful than 320 horspower! Love the 328d, but a few more ponies wouldn't hurt.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Wow - I too need to chat with him! I had a loaner 340i and I gotta say that despite making a claimed 320 horsepower, it felt a lot more powerful than 320 horspower! Love the 328d, but a few more ponies wouldn't hurt.

They're getting a pretty stellar torque curve out of their turbo gas engines these days. I think peak torque (~330lb-ft) is available at just 1500RPM and it's pretty flat for several thousand RPM. I'm sure that helps it feel a lot faster than 320HP.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Yep; been eyeing it and almost bought it a couple weeks ago (Dinansport). My only concern is it just increases rail pressure, which isn't a very smart means of tuning a CR Diesel ;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Haven't heard about that yet. And the N57 issues with carbon seem to be varied. Some people claim (or do) have trouble at 60K miles, some drive over 100K without any issues. I may do the walnut blasting on mine at some point. BMW also improved the swirl valve during production and that's supposed to help.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I talked to my Wifes Cousin who is a Master BMW tech now a Service writer and he said they have had carboning up problems and Ad blue problems on the N47 engines said the engine itself is strong

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
I talked to my Wifes Cousin who is a Master BMW tech now a Service writer and he said they have had carboning up problems and Ad blue problems on the N47 engines said the engine itself is strong

What Adblue problems have they had? Do you know?

The E90 had a problem with the Adblue reservoirs and the vent clogging up with dried crystals of urea (correct me if that's wrong I may not be remembering that correctly, I wasn't really that interested at the time, just saw it in passing). But as far as I know the F30 only has one reservoir and doesn't suffer the same problems seen in the E90. Am curious what I can expect for the F30..

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Are there any good tune options for the 335d? JR tune is smoky and throws limp modes, BPC tune is for full emissions-deleted cars really, and not much else yet that I can tell. The euro tunes are wimpy and not worth the money.

VWMike is working on a full tune. Anyone else have good potential tune options?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
What Adblue problems have they had? Do you know?
The E90 had a problem with the Adblue reservoirs and the vent clogging up with dried crystals of urea (correct me if that's wrong I may not be remembering that correctly, I wasn't really that interested at the time, just saw it in passing). But as far as I know the F30 only has one reservoir and doesn't suffer the same problems seen in the E90. Am curious what I can expect for the F30..
Exactly the same as this description...and the main reason I bought a CPO car and extend service warranty

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Are there any good tune options for the 335d? JR tune is smoky and throws limp modes, BPC tune is for full emissions-deleted cars really, and not much else yet that I can tell. The euro tunes are wimpy and not worth the money.
Although Jeff works with folks in Europe for his 335d tune that keeps emissions intact, I wouldn't exactly call it wimpy. But I'm more used to low power cars so the 335d stock was pretty impressive to me.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Exactly the same as this description...and the main reason I bought a CPO car and extend service warranty

I guess only time will tell. But, as far as I know, the F30 has only a single Adblue reservoir and therefore wouldn't suffer the same issues that the E90 saw. But maybe it's more complicated than that..

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D

Do you know anything about Malone tunes? I'm planning to purchase an X5 later this year (hopefully).

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
We've been tuning these for over a year now and have great files along with custom unlisted stuff. Mark has done a couple newer 535 and 328s as well, not to the point that we'll be selling them publicly just yet. Have also tuned our transmission and it works wonders, have a true manual mode now and can use 1st (although it's looking like 2nd will be needed for launching without a diff). Took us longer to get to market as we wanted to make sure everything was done right. Our standard stage 2 does not smoke much, and we do not tamper with any of the safety protocols or protection features. I have personally installed exhausts on these and tuned a lot of cars. They're monsters.

With just a downpipe: EMP drop was much smoother with the DPF off
https://i.gyazo.com/4f08934e2ef720ea8fd8036a5c8e0d17.png

With stock exhaust:
https://i.gyazo.com/5e3c570e9fe6f6ac743f8c4773eeb78b.png

For comparison, MK6/7 TDIs typically put down around 170HP/300lb-ft tuned. MK6 APR stage 2 + Golf Rs have done around 275hp/300lb-ft, and I had a E39 V8 M5 in same day and it put down 320lb-ft or so with mods. I will also be bringing in competitor cars with a variety of tunes to compare not only power figures but data readouts. Going to take awhile as it's going to be a full on essay and daily operations take up a lot of our time.

I'll be doing water meth and other modifications in the near future. This is on our normal consumer grade tune, there is another 50lb-ft or so to be safely made. Keep in mind the percentage differences versus a peak number posted from a dynojet. This isn't a dyno queen tune, that's just what I pulled off the car first try. Zero smoke with stock hardware, bit of a puff launching off the line with it loaded around 2000 with deletes, no smoke normally. What we sell publicly is always aimed as an OEM + file but we can do track focused files if requested. Files are done in house and done right the first time, no need to have a back and forth with some European company or update from a 2.8 to 2.81 to 2.82 etc. We have a set of ohlins and plenty of other goodies for this 335D and will be tracking it this summer along with some other toys. One of which is fully caged and has no traction at legal speeds ;)

Last edited:

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI 11 335D M-Sport

Where did you get this info from?
JR likes having low smokes tunes, but has tunes to suit all needs. My 335d I sold to a friend has a JR tune and isn't very smoky because he didn't want it to be that bad. Talk to your tuner and tell them what your looking for and they will tune it to your liking. Also he has never gone into limp mode from the tune.
BPC also has a stage 1 for keeping full emissions intact.
The top 2 bmw tuners are JR and BPC. They are currently having a nice horsepower (or torque?) war lol. And everyone is benefiting from it!
Also a really great semi open source transmission tuning program that just came out. Allows you to break 800nm!

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Do you know anything about Malone tunes? I'm planning to purchase an X5 later this year (hopefully).
No personal experience with the 335d platform, but I know they have stellar reputation for Tdi's. I tried a JR tune through AARodriguez, but it fills up the DPF and throws limp modes. I can't use the extra 'tune' power without throwing a limp mode (implausible rail pressures seen as injectors stay open too long and EGT skyrockets too) or filling up the DPF. My car does 3-4 regens/week which is really excessive for my 175 mile/week commuting.

Edit: commenting on temporaptor's last post: yeah, they are in a HP/torque war....about where Tdiclub was back in 2001 or 2002! Super primitive, lol. We gots a LOOOOOOONGGG ways to go.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I have difficulty telling when my 335d is in regen. Guess i should get a scan gauge if I want to know. But I can only recall one time when I know it was in regen. Other times fans are running for the A/C, but I don't know if it's in regen as well.

I haven't driven through a full tank of fuel with RC in the car yet, but FE seems about the same as before the tune. No limp mode or codes.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Jeff always takes his time and knows what he's doing, curious to see how far he goes with this platform, know whitbread is up to some stuff as well. It's fairly hard to notice DPF regens on the car since they always sound like tractors. It's audible, but only just, and hard to tell unless at low speeds. EMP/EGT is a clear giveaway though. Ran a DEF delete + DPF intact with regen tune on this 335D for a year and a bit without issue.

The only 'person' that will benefit from that horsepower war is BMW, motors are 11k or so to replace. Just wait until the temperatures start going up this summer.

Last edited:

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jeff always takes his time and knows what he's doing, curious to see how far he goes with this platform, know whitbread is up to some stuff as well. It's fairly hard to notice DPF regens on the car since they always sound like tractors. It's audible, but only just, and hard to tell unless at low speeds. EMP/EGT is a clear giveaway though. Ran a DEF delete + DPF intact with regen tune on this 335D for a year and a bit without issue.

The only 'person' that will benefit from that horsepower war is BMW, motors are 11k or so to replace. Just wait until the temperatures start going up this summer.
Competition always is good for the consumer, makes all the vendors / tuners bring their A game. As a tuner I could understand how you don't like that. But as it stands now JR has the fastest tune for the 1/4mile on record. 11.68 1/4 @ 125.7 MPH. And BPC has the fastest 1/2 mile speed @ 145mph.
https://youtu.be/wVz4BAAJbRg
https://youtu.be/wKULAAoBjYk

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
No personal experience with the 335d platform, but I know they have stellar reputation for Tdi's. I tried a JR tune through AARodriguez, but it fills up the DPF and throws limp modes. I can't use the extra 'tune' power without throwing a limp mode (implausible rail pressures seen as injectors stay open too long and EGT skyrockets too) or filling up the DPF. My car does 3-4 regens/week which is really excessive for my 175 mile/week commuting.

Edit: commenting on temporaptor's last post: yeah, they are in a HP/torque war....about where Tdiclub was back in 2001 or 2002! Super primitive, lol. We gots a LOOOOOOONGGG ways to go.
Curious what stage tune you ran? That sux, that it didn't work out for you. They are making crazy progress on the bmw diesels. You can now tune you transmission. When I sold my 335d 2 years ago there was only jr doing tunes. As soon as I sold it the aftermarket really took off. Great group of guys on the diesel bmw forums. Just like Tdiclub here.