Variance in Performance/milage "new" 2015 tdis

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
Is there a lot of variance on individual cars of the same model? Several people here have reported having more power in the "new" cars than their older models.
I and some others here have experienced the opposite.
I wonder if i should go test drive some more vehicles and see if there's a difference?

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Is there a lot of variance on individual cars of the same model? Several people here have reported having more power in the "new" cars than their older models.
I and some others here have experienced the opposite.
I wonder if i should go test drive some more vehicles and see if there's a difference?
Be patient and wait for the real world data to start flowing in.

Last edited:

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
I feel my new Passat has less power but quite a bit better fuel economy than the 13 Passat I sold back. YMMV.

TJD_TDI

TDI
2012 JSW
I wouldn't be shocked to hear that this is a fair degree of variance. If you let a whole group of TDIs sit for 2 years in varying conditions, then give a diverse set of a dealers the job of reconditioning them with some degree of discretion, you end up with some cars that are like new and some not so much.

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M RIP, 2015 GSW SE TDI 6M, 2015 Q7 TDI
Also depends on what you are comparing it to. Also depends on what transmission it has. I've read a few comments that on the DSG cars the throttle response is different, and you really have get onto the throttle to get it to go.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Also depends on what you are comparing it to. Also depends on what transmission it has. I've read a few comments that on the DSG cars the throttle response is different, and you really have get onto the throttle to get it to go.
That's not encouraging to hear.

Hey, you're a neighbor of mine.

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M RIP, 2015 GSW SE TDI 6M, 2015 Q7 TDI
That's not encouraging to hear.

Hey, you're a neighbor of mine.
What's not encouraging, the throttle response thing? But with the DSG, it should learn your driving techniques, right? I've never had one, I always go for the manual.

Neighbors indeed!

Mama Roneck

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
I'm guessing the transmission plays the biggest role in this question. Both of my Sportwagens had/have 6MT, and the 2015 certainly "feels" faster and more responsive than the 2011.

I thought I read that the Phase 1 fix changed the shift pattern for the DSG which may affect how fast it feels. Is that correct?

NB: also a neighbor.

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
What's not encouraging, the throttle response thing? But with the DSG, it should learn your driving techniques, right? I've never had one, I always go for the manual.
Neighbors indeed!
So it is fair to say it would improve after breaking in. As in, the DSG learning that i don't want to put it to the metal to take off?

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
A 2015 is faster. Period.

If you want to go faster, you will have to step on the pedal more.

Its likely that pedal response and throttle control have been damped a bit in order to have most people take off slower and get better mileage. That is what "eco" mode does on newer cars that have it. Akin to a driving a Prius.

The power is there, but its likely the newest models just have a different throttle response that you are not used to.

Its not something I'd be worried about, if the car seems good for you otherwise.