Urgently need replacement key fob

jimigunne

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM
for my 2006 Jetta TDI. It grew legs and walked away from house.
A new one can only be obtained from a VW dealer? Can it be purchased for far less from internet site, and the taken to a dealer to program it? I guess I need the title or registration papers to prove that I am the owner. Or something more? What should this cost on the internet, and from a VW dealer? Might not be able to wait for a better price on the internet, as the car is just dead in the water until I get replacement key fob. This key fob uses an actual key that folds up like a switch-blade, and the remote part of fob has three buttons. I looked into the price of getting a spare key fob for our Prius, and it costs about $250.00! Thanks!

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
I'm not sure if it includes our model year, but for 2009 TDi,
I'm pretty sure you need to go to the dealer. They place the order for the replacement key, along with your VIN, so it will get cut correctly, then gets sent back to the dealer.
The dealer will then ask you to bring any other keys you have for the car and then they all get reprogrammed at the same time at the dealer.
If later on you find the lost key, it will no longer work on your car.
I think that's pretty much the process.

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 210k miles
This is one reason I deleted the immobilizer function in the computer. I can use non-programmed keys.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Jimigunne You are in a bad spot. You need to tow the car to the dealer or have a locksmith if you do not have another key. You will need to get the car married to that new key. Its around 75.00 for the key without the remote. You can buy a used remote on ebay for around 15.00. The dealer can charge upto 1 hour of time to program to car. If lucky, it will be a 30 minute charge.

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
Tip

Saw on a locksmiths website that indicated if you took a nice closeup photo of the actual metal key, that he could cut an accurate replacement, if you sent him the photo ( and proof of ownership)
You still would need to have the imobilizer chip reprogrammed by the dealer though.
Btw, lots of folks refer to keys as being have to be "laser cut", but in reality are cut by a type of spiral bit milling machine.