Maintaining Intake System Deposits to Improve Performance and Emission Control

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Intake System Deposits Can Affect Performance and Emissions Control

Deposits have formed in engine intake systems (carburetors, fuel injectors - diesel / gas, intake manifold, ports, and valves) since the beginning of the spark-ignited internal combustion engine.

In today's modern engines, these deposits can affect engine performance and upset the emission control system designed by the automobile manufacturer.

Fuel Injector Deposits

Deposits that form in fuel injectors can restrict fuel flow and distort the spray pattern. This upsets the fuel-air ratio in individual cylinders since deposits do not form uniformly. When the air-fuel mixture in the engine cylinders becomes imbalanced, the oxygen sensor, which only responds to the average of all the cylinders, tries to correct the situation, but usually makes it worse. The result is a degrading of driveability as exhibited by rough idle, hesitation, and stumbling, a decrease in power, a reduction in fuel economy, and an increase in unburned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide emissions.

Intake Valve Deposits

The formation of deposits on the tulip area of intake valves also can be detrimental. Under cold start conditions, the porous deposits can absorb enough fuel to cause first lean and then rich air-fuel mixtures which can degrade driveability. Intake valve deposits can cause unburned hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and oxides of nitrogen exhaust emissions to increase.

Furthermore, if the deposits are very heavy, power at maximum throttle can be reduced because the deposits restrict the flow of the air-fuel mixture into the cylinders.

The use of an aftermarket concentrated deposit control additive to remove the critical deposits can help restore the performance of an engine and the control of its emissions to the level designed by the auto manufacturer.

By Lew Gibbs http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/frame.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lew Gibbs works in Chevron Products Company's Product Engineering Department. Lew has authored numerous technical papers on diesel and gasoline deposit control. He is currently Chairman of the SAE Fuels & Lubes Technical Committee on Fuels and Chairman of the ASTM Gasoline and Oxygenated Gasoline Specifications Section.

[This message has been edited by Turbo Steve (edited February 13, 2000).]

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
There are only two possible sources of gunk in the intake system in our cars.

One, is the PCV system. See "Intercooler Cleaning" - and it's possible (though not legal in many areas) to do something about it so it doesn't happen again.

Two, is the EGR system. This one is tough. Much has been talked about what the EGR does to our engines, but no known solution that doesn't cause a "check engine" light.

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg
I think the article is talking about Chevron's naptha-based Techron whick VW and BMW recommended a while ago to combat intake valve deposits on gas engine cars. Additives in gas makes this unnecessary now, I think.

I think some of those diesel fuel additives have naptha, don't they?

So all we have going through our intake valves is air. I never saw it like that before.

S

SkyPup

What GoFaster is saying is that on a direct injection diesel, there is no fuel deposits on the intake valves due to the fact all the fuel is injected into the combustion chamber after the intake valve has closed 100%.

As he stated, the only deposits are sludge blowby from the PCV valve and soot from the EGR valve. In addition, there is NO WAY to clean the intake tract with an additive of any kind, since all additive only go into the fuel system and NOT the intake tract. DO NOT POUR ANY FUEL IN THE INTAKE TRACT, your diesel will expolde from over revving!!!

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg
Yes, it is lighter fluid. I remember discussing that with someone years ago when I bought some Techron. It think it's also moth balls. Maybe you could just pop a couple in the tank once in a while (just kidding).