Steering wheel vibration

MikeyT

TDI
2011 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
I just purchase a 2011 Q7 TDI and a have a slight vibration in the steering wheel during acceleration. I brought it to the dealership and they say vehicle is operating as designed. Don't know if it's because of the diesel engine. I just can't see a Audi having this kind of vibration. Any help would be appreciated.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
It's impossible for me to know what your definition of slight is, but I can tell you that my 2010 Jetta TDI, which is nowhere near as "premium" as your vehicle, exhibits no detectable changes in the steering wheel vibration under any conditions. So, if you are detecting vibration, my assumption would indeed be that something is wrong.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
Dealer wants to avoid warranty work. First step is road force tire balance and 4-wheel alignment.

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
with the windows down,(and preferrably between a couple of buildings)do you hear any tapping or knocking noise or a hum accompanying the vibration?

MikeyT

TDI
2011 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
All 4 tires were road force balance. It is definitely a engine vibration because the vibration increases during acceleration. Test drove a 2013 TDI and it did the same thing. So I guest it's the diesel engine. And no tapping, knocking or hum.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I have a 2009 Q7 TDi. On my 4th set of Michelins. No vibration.

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Steering wheel shake has been experienced by a number of owners of Touaregs beginning with the 2011 model -- earlier models don't seem to experience it. Didn't the Q7 also change body styles starting with 2011? Might do some reading on ClubTouareg if you haven't already.

vfrav8r

TDI
2006.5 TDI Special Edition Jetta (A+), 2010 JSW TDI (short lived), 2010 Touareg TDI(C -hard on tires), 2014 Jetta TDI- TDI (little de-cultured)
You found the Achilles heel of the heavy weight German SUV, it eats tires. Tire cupping, noise, vibration you name it and I found this on the VW and on my 2011 Audi Quattro, that it's not covered by any warranty. VW threw some money toward the problem and that was appreciated. Now even when the rig is aligned properly. You look at the tires and the tread looks good, run your hand over the tread and it goes up and down. I call it the 'green door' an area of speculation. Is the cause?; the tire manufacturer, the heavy weight of the vehicle, Light Truck Tires v P Metric, American roads are only 9" thick or geometry, no no it's how you drive... It took some of the charm out of the very unique SUV.

Last edited:

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
You found the achillies heel of the heavy weight German SUV, it eats tires. Cupping, noise, vibration you name it
^ This ^ - plan for new tires every 25K or less at $1K+. The factory Pirelli's started "feathering" at 17K. At 22K, they are down to 3/32nds, with a constant "Wa-Wa-Wa" noise at speed.

The 19" and 20" are sensitive as hell with regards to balancing and alignment.

Since I don't tow, drive fast, or carry lots of gear - I'm shifting to 255/55/19's from the factory 265/50/19's (Porsche N0 spec). 1.3% difference in size, and $75 - $100 cheaper per tire, with more options, with only a slight drop in weight carrying capacity per tire - well within limits.

Good luck. Depending on the mileage on the current set, you might want to consider new shoes, Road Force balanced, with a proper 4 wheel alignment at a shop that has the right equipment. Michelin Lattitude HPs and Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas get good comments on ClubTouareg. I personally don't like Pirelli.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I have a Touareg 2012 TDI and have not had the problem,BUT there are tons of posts from those who have had the problem. Most seemed to get this resolved with road Force test and making sure the proper Ft lbs of torque USED ON EACH WHEEL NUT. I BELIEVE THAT ON THE TREG it's 133 ft lbs. Hope it works for you. I'm just about finished with my GY LS original tires at 28K miles,which I'm ok with. I do worry about getting new tires and having vibration start.