2007 Audi A4 2.0T>>>3.0 V6 TDI CATA Swap

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 RS4 Titanium 3.0TDI & 2013 Touareg TDI & B6 S4 BHW Swap Biturbo
so im finally gonna start a build i wont be able to update much untill june because i have to finish a very big job for a customer before i can play with the car:( This swap has been in the planning stage for a quite a while i have always enjoyed tdis but all ive ever owned was 4 cylinders. I really love the sound and the power of the v6 common rails. And i figured a b7 a4 would be a good recipient for this. I wanted a b8 a4 but parts availability is more expensive and i still love the style of the b7 platform.
My intentions with this are to break the 500hp 800 ftlb mark but i should get it running first ..

less than 2 days after buying the car running i only put 50kms on the 2.0t

engine almost out of car gotta love 4cyls

done!!!!!

this was suppose to be the recipent of the 3.0tdi but i rolled it last august not my fault i was payed out good from insurance:) and i bought it back for 1000$ i am using it for converting my new car to titanium S line . for those of you that dont know very rare car to find expescially in blue :(

now for the most important part 3.0 tdi CATA from a 2009 touareg with only 15000kms this is basically a crate engine :)

Last edited:

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
As far as the swap goes I have a wiring harness and ECU EDC16 I will be using parts from a BKN and/or ASB engine codes i ordered engine mounts all parts will be sourced from Europe mainly poland
anyone that's interested in doing a swap like this don't buy a Touareg motor a lot of parts need to be changed in order for this motor to be functional in a B7 but due to the fact this motor is mint I'm going to challenge myself and learn about this engine inside and out.

Last edited:

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
Also the cata is a better engine than the asb/bkn it has revised timing chain guides for more reliability. I will be reverting it back to the older CP3 pump . Capable of more hp and reliability imho.
I will also be removing the swirl flaps,egr,dpf,cats the upper and lower oil pan sumps will need to be changed as well as the rear mounting flange .

Lucian189

Veteran Member
TDI
3.0 TDI CR
As far as the swap goes I have a wiring harness and ECU EDC16 I will be using parts from a BKN and/or ASB engine codes i ordered engine mounts all parts will be sourced from Europe mainly poland
anyone that's interested in doing a swap like this don't buy a Touareg motor a lot of parts need to be changed in order for this motor to be functional in a B7 but due to the fact this motor is mint I'm going to challenge myself and learn about this engine inside and out.

Of yes ...I have got an Phaeton engine...this was a big mistake.
A lot parts does not fit -engine mount wiring harness hoses all of them ,alternator with water cooling will fit, but water cooling not,turbo aspiration hose ,aspiration junction from servo pump and list goes on .
You will need ecu from B7 3.0! In my case ecu from a6/phaeton does not like the gas pedal from b7 .

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
new progress

interior ripped out for cleaning and upgrades

done black roof liner swaped all sline trim steering wheel seats navigation coulor fis cluster bose speakers swap. time to move on to brakes

suspension all removed for sandblast and powder coat

rear caliper mount brakets

before

after

all new wheel bearings new hardware abs sensors

rear suspension out

glassbead blasting ..

Last edited:

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI

fronts painted

on the car new rotors

rears painted

installed with ferrari parking calipers

basically you would never know this car is from canada the underbody is new again the car will never see winter again..

i dieselized the filler neck cut off the evap related junk. and added my own vent line

ready to move on to engine

Last edited:

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
engine time

beefy rods 30mm wrist pins 60mm big end

pistons delipped compression should be around 16 to 1

back in the block

vht wrinkle painted rocker covers

Last edited:

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
as of now im waiting on parts from europe and i waiting for the dealership to get my headgaskets and other gaskets then the engine can be mostly assembled..

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
You sure don't mess around,looking good ! Hopefully the engine won't be to smoky with the lowered compression.

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
You sure don't mess around,looking good ! Hopefully the engine won't be to smoky with the lowered compression.
I am hoping that to i have done alh pistons before with good luck
Its either i machine them off now or melt them off later .

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI

Made up my oil feed adapter fitting 1/8 npt

I ended up not using that china ebay fmic heard bad results i bought a good high density one to replace it

Still waiting on right side headgasket apparently its back ordered and im waiting on arp head studs

Last edited:

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI

Engine is slowly getting back together :) put the oil filter and cooler housing back in i also modified the coolant pipe to clear the water cooled alternator relocating the spigot

Last edited:

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
This is my new favorite build/swap. Next time you are working on the motor can you send me accurate dimensions of the block? I am wanting to swap it into something. Width is my big concern. Head to head width.

Thanks!

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Yeah maximum width, and depth would be great.

Trying to see if the 3.0 will fit. Currently have a 2.7t for mock up.

iwannajettatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Brilliant Black Audi Q5 3.0TDI, 2014 Tempest Blue metallic Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2002 Blue Eurovan Weekender BHW TDI
Anymore news on this beast? I have lots of things I want to stuff a 3.0 tdi into. I'm interested how you'll get all the electronics to work, the 2007 car had less of a canbus system than 2009ish onwards. Or have I been out of the loop long enough that there is a tuner who can now standalone the edc16 for these motors?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Mercrusier used these 3.0 motors with a stand alone computers. You could hook them to your vag com.

iwannajettatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Brilliant Black Audi Q5 3.0TDI, 2014 Tempest Blue metallic Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2002 Blue Eurovan Weekender BHW TDI
Interesting. Would they have the right program to function in a manual shift vehicle? I know the auto ECU programs typically need to be tuned to the manual maps, I wonder if Malonw or any of the other tuners would be able to access the Mercruiser software and edit it? That would be killer.