Audi Allroad 1.9TDI with 6spd. - Project Thread

MKIV_TDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2002 Golf TDI, '89 Audi 200 Wagon Quattro 2.5 AEL TDI
Hi everyone!

I'll be easing my way into a new project over the next couple of weeks, so I thought I'd start a post up to document/share and pick your brains over here when I run into an inevitable snag!

I used to have an '89 Audi 200 Quattro wagon that I swapped a 2.5AEL into that was super utilitarian that I sold 3 years ago almost to this exact week....

...and I miss it terribly. It had been through moving kids to college, to remodeling my house, my daily driver for several years, etc... so I've convinced myself that I need another one.

I've got a spare 1.9ALH laying around the garage with around 80K miles on it. And I bought an Allroad that should be quite a bit more comfortable than my '89 Wagon ;) (Bixenons, heated everything, air suspension, etc etc...)

Just pulled and sold the 2.7T engine this weekend... Notice how the old wagon was a greenish color (Lago Blue I think the name was?) and so is the new one? ;)

Here's the 1.9 turned on its ass. Using an Audi A4 oil pan/pickup tube.

6spd transmission off of the 1.9 AVF engine in Europe...

And random stuff that I'll use/modify/trash as we go along...

I'm going to need to bump the HP on this engine though.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

Has this been done before? I haven't really searched to see if anyone has done this conversion here in the states. If so, feel free to point me in that direction if a build thread exists so I could take a peek!

Thanks!

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Both nice cars! The Allroad has a different R&P ratio, I think it's 4.375 rather than 4.11 or 3.89 that are common. I guess you have this covered?

MKIV_TDI

TDI
Yea, I think! I bought an Audi A4 (B6) 3.0 Rear Diff with a 3.89 ratio.

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
As for upping the power, depends on your driving profile. For 99.9% of my personal driving style, I drive for economy, therefore keeping revs low so a GTB2260VLKR in a single stage could never make sense. But notice I said "in a single stage." :D In any case, 11mm pump and big injectors are musts to move the Allroad's 2+ ton girth. I think 200 HP is the minimum worthy point of entry, 250 to match the stock 2.7. :)

MKIV_TDI

TDI
As for upping the power, depends on your driving profile. For 99.9% of my personal driving style, I drive for economy, therefore keeping revs low so a GTB2260VLKR in a single stage could never make sense. But notice I said "in a single stage." :D In any case, 11mm pump and big injectors are musts to move the Allroad's 2+ ton girth. I think 200 HP is the minimum worthy point of entry, 250 to match the stock 2.7. :)
TDIMeister, the ALH I'm using came off an automatic car, so from my understanding, it's already got the 11mm pump, right?

Also, are you talking 200HP to the crank, or wheels?? I've only just started looking into power mods for this powerplant, so I'm not really sure which the "tried and true" way to achieve that is.

I've got two turbo's laying around the garage with super low miles on them. One from a W211 Mercedes Benz 320 CDI, and another from a W210 Mercedes Benz 300 Turbo Diesel. Can I use either of these?? :p Or should I sell them and used a "tried and true" method? The VNT17?

NMForester

TDI
2004 2.0TDI Passat Wagon(5 speed MT est completion 11,2016), 1991 Dodge Cummins 5.9L TD, 2002 Allroad (PD130, 6 speed MT)
I am planning a similar swap. I have a 2002 Allroad and am looking at droppin in a US 2.0TDI BHW.
There are a number of TDI into allroad posts on this site, and others. I don't have them handy but I can list them next post.
What trans code do you have? I was thinking of going with the 6 speed I have (with a really tall 6th from Advanced A) but figure it may be better to import on from Europe (Code DQS).
I was wondering what Flywheel/clutch package you were planning on. I was also wondering if the stock PP/clutch disk would fit a flywheel from a 1.8T.
Thanks for posting. Good luck

MKIV_TDI

TDI
Hey all -- so I've tried to reach out to RocketChip tuning for advice/ideas/and services, but he's not replying.

Any recommendations for a "tried and tested" way to 170hp? VNT17 and PD150 intake? What else? Planning on having the engine/tranny in the car very soon.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I am planning a similar swap. I have a 2002 Allroad and am looking at droppin in a US 2.0TDI BHW.
There are a number of TDI into allroad posts on this site, and others. I don't have them handy but I can list them next post.
What trans code do you have? I was thinking of going with the 6 speed I have (with a really tall 6th from Advanced A) but figure it may be better to import on from Europe (Code DQS).
I was wondering what Flywheel/clutch package you were planning on. I was also wondering if the stock PP/clutch disk would fit a flywheel from a 1.8T.
Thanks for posting. Good luck
IIRC the DQS is FWD not AWD. The DQT is AWD for sure.

MKIV_TDI

TDI
Some more pics:

In the meantime, I've also rebuilt all of the CV boots on all 4 axles as preventative maintenance. I've also modified the power steering line so that it will line up where I need it to be.

I'm assuming RocketChip is no longer around? i've emailed, facebooked them, etc... no response.
I've reached out to Kerma and Malone, and I'm still looking for feedback for some tried and true way to get 150+ whp without needing to tear into to block and beef up internals. I'm looking for safe, reliable power.

Thanks! Stay tuned!

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Talk to Mike at TDTuning (sales@tdtuning.com) He has helped me with my conversions including my 2000 A6 2.7t 6MQ which now has a BHW mated to a DQT in it.

Last edited:

k_harley

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2005 Audi S4, 1997 Audi A4 Race car, 2004 Passat TDI 6MT 4motion
I finished a 2003 allroad with a PD130 about 6 months ago.

Its a lot easier to used a pd swap that was meant for a b5 / c5 / b6 chassis from the beginning.

Stock 130hp is OK, but I'd want more for sure if it were my own car.

Good luck, looking good so far.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
I'm assuming RocketChip is no longer around? i've emailed, facebooked them, etc... no response.
I've reached out to Kerma and Malone, and I'm still looking for feedback for some tried and true way to get 150+ whp without needing to tear into to block and beef up internals. I'm looking for safe, reliable power.

Thanks! Stay tuned!
Jeff is still very much in business. You can find him at ImpexFest this weekend in Cockeysville, MD.

Dave

MKIV_TDI

TDI
Guys, a few more pics, and trying to figure out a spacing issue between the engine/tranny.

The 016 allroad 6 speed manual tranny had a 11.2 mm spacer.
We measured the 016 vs the 0A3 and a are identical: input shaft , throw out bearing, slave cylinder, etc.
When we assemble the 0A3 with the ALH the pressure plate spider is pushing against the new through out bearing too much and we can't even turn the engine let alone to install the slave cylinder.

As of today the 15 mm pilot bearing is in the crankshaft. We would need to put a pilot bearing into the DMF flywheel. What bearing? Part number?

MKIV_TDI

TDI

So, I'm more or less ready to wrap this up.
I still need to decide on intake/turbo/ and a tuner...

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
I am looking into similar swap my self either allroad or Passat. Where in CT are you, I'm in NY along the ct border and would be interested in checking it out and possible helping you out.
Thanks,
Deo

MKIV_TDI

TDI

The driveshaft cut and bolted up for a test fit. Now to get it welded and balanced...

MKIV_TDI

TDI
So, let's find me a turbo to fit!

I just came back from a 3 week vacation in Europe and brought back a PD150 intake with me. So I've got that intake, a BHW exhaust manifold. So LET'S GET ME A TURBO!

MKIV_TDI

TDI
So it's been a while since I've posted -- just a lot of projects going on so this has been a "work on it here and there" type of project.

But today was the first start!! The engine has been sitting in my garage for at least 8-9years until this project started... so I hoped for the best!

She's alive!!

It's got a high idle -- around 1130RPM's. I'll start piecing it together, I've got to get my tune file from KERMA, and we should be wrapping things up soon!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Nice - looking forward to seeing the final product.

Tach work? coolant temp, Speedo etc?

MKIV_TDI

TDI
Nice - looking forward to seeing the final product.

Tach work? coolant temp, Speedo etc?

The tach does work! And I must have gotten something wrong with the throttle pedal 'cause I've got no throttle... maybe that's why rev's were so high? It probably defaults to 1100ish if it sees no pedal hooked up?

I've got a 100k timing belt kit on the way, I've got APR studs for the head that I'll install, and I'll button up the front end.

stp359

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 4motion tdi 6speed
You need a TDI gas pedal. I did the same swap in my Allroad but with a BHW engine. I got the whole car and transfered everything needed.

MKIV_TDI

TDI
Well I'm using the allroad factory pedals, but I did swap the TDI control module into it... hmmm

Last edited:

MKIV_TDI

TDI
It's alive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBumGrGzAMI

It rolled out of the garage under its own power for the first time in a very, very long time last night around 10:30pm.

Did a quick tour of the block a few times and I'm throuroughly happy. Not nearly as underpowered as I expected, and I've still got to send the tune out to Kerma :)

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
Cool !, congrats! More info pictures etc. I prefer your engine choice over pd's most seem to swap.
Thanks,
Deo

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
I couldn't say for his, but with my swap, I kept the 2.7t pedal, then modified the end stops on the pedal to match the TDI pedal output. Reads 0-100% in VCDS and has been working perfect. I had the TDI pedal assembly, but it was the floor mount MK5 pedal and I didn't feel like making that work in the C5 A6 or buying something.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
I used the pedal from a Passat. 3 bolts then plug and play