Radiator fans not working

cbatterman

TDI
1997 Passat
I have a 1996 Passat TDI and the electric fans are not working. I cannot even get them to work with the Air conditioner on High. The fuse is OK.

Does anyone have an idea of what I should check first?

thanks
Chris

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Are you sure you checked the right fuse? They are easy to reverse while looking at them. Also check the AC fuse. Recharge the a/c. Have them add dye to see where it is leaking. If that is problem it is most likely the compressor shaft. You are most likely going to have a vw place or professional a/c shop do it. Could also be a a/c pressure switch.

You "newbies"
don't bother to tell what area of the country you are from so I can't recommend anybody. There are some individuals around who can help you.

cbatterman

TDI
1997 Passat
I think that I have found the problem.

Checked the fan motor input from the control module. It is getting 14 volts. So I tried to jump the motor and it did not work.

Guess the next order of business is to replace the fan motor. Any ideas on a vendor for one?

Chris

JB

Well I am in the UK, with an Audi A4, essentially the same car and I've the excact same problem.

I took my car to an air condition person (today) and he said that my AC was fine (pressure tested etc.) but the electric radiator fan was not working, which is why I have a problem.

The fan looks difficult to get off!!!

Can I test it using VAG com? I know there is a test sequence, but can I see if the fan should be on. Is there a specific tempreture sensor to activate it?

I really do not want to replace the fan only to find it is not being activated.

Anone any bad expirences of eurocar parts and their OE parts?

Thanks.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
The fan is activated whenever the AC button is pressed. Though I'm sure the A4 has different wiring, there is a fan control module and a pressure switch for the fan. There is also a (hidden) temperature switch to turn off the fans if the ambient temp is low. I've never seen it personnally, just seen it referenced in the diagram.