Cabin Air Filter...

Jeepmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI GLS
Can you buy these at a local auto parts store or do you have to order them from one of those online stores? Looking to replace my 2003 Jetta's cabin fresh air filter after about 112000 miles without changing it.:eek:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Jeepmb said:
Can you buy these at a local auto parts store or do you have to order them from one of those online stores? Looking to replace my 2003 Jetta's cabin fresh air filter after about 112000 miles without changing it.:eek:
Lot of loyal vendors to this site carry the correct brand and have fast shipping. Check out Dieselgeek and tdiparts. You won't be disappointed.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I've not been able to find one on the shelf at local auto parts stores, but NAPA may be able to order one for you.

Note that allowing the filter to load up like that is putting a major strain on the blower motor.

Please post pictures of the 112K mi filter. that should be interesting to see.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Jeepmb said:
Can you buy these at a local auto parts store or do you have to order them from one of those online stores? (snip)
__. My little corner of NC isn't a paragon for getting good quality auto parts (or anything else) but what I've found from the local stores fits perfectly but the parts don't have the little trim "niceities" and don't have the charcoal layer. I usually get this kind of thing from World-Impex (the service is good and shipping is less expensive) -- the filters from them are noticeably better quality than "auto store".

__. I don't think that the filter had ever been changed on my '03 when I got it (off-lease at about ~114K). The heater/AC fan blower motor was so gummed up that it kept burning out resistor packs. Changing filter is a *good thing" to do!

Jeepmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI GLS
Well my filter was so bad i just sort of poured gravel and dust out of it:) . I vacumed out the filter and wiped the grime off of it but it is still having a hard time sucking air through so it definatly needs replacing. How do I tell if there has been any damage to the blower. The last and very recent owner was very ignorant to the condition of the car (ex. Leaking rear brake, leaking head gasket, THIS).

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Jeepmb said:
Well my filter was so bad i just sort of poured gravel and dust out of it:) . I vacumed out the filter and wiped the grime off of it but it is still having a hard time sucking air through so it definatly needs replacing. How do I tell if there has been any damage to the blower. The last and very recent owner was very ignorant to the condition of the car (ex. Leaking rear brake, leaking head gasket, THIS).
__. If the blower runs and doesn't burn up the resistors, I'm going to guess it's OK. (PS Some people have successfully resurrected blower motors by oiling the bearings. I'm guessing that that would be more successful if you've caught it just when it was beginning to be gummed up but if it works ...)