Need help with Error codes

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Hello,

I just turned 120,000 miles and got two error codes. Used the Ross Tech cable and VCDS.

Codes:

008194, Particulate trap bank
P2002 -007 Efficiency below threshold - Intermittent

001025 - EGR System
P0401-001 insufficient flow

My local dealership told me that the repair would be over $2300 I was only a few hundred miles over 120,000 miles. I said that my extended emission modification warranty expired at 120,000 miles.

Can anyone let me know what this repair involves? And would someone please provide a link to the part? Supposedly it’s the diesel particulate filter. Also if there are any video links that may help.

Thanks for any helpful advice

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, big job. Are your tailpipes sooty inside? That is usually the quick telltale sign.

I drop the subframe and take the passenger side axle loose from the transmission and swing it out of the way. Then you have plenty of room.

This is what it looks like removed:

Last edited:

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
I was searching online and YouTube

How do these diesel particulate filter cleaners work?

I see that Wurth makes one. Do they work?

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
I just put my index finger inside the tailpipe and it had black soot on it.

I also watched a video using the VCDS program to run the regeneration process

Is there any way to put a cleaner into the system to help clean out the DPF?

I’m self employed and haven’t worked in months due to the Covid insanity here in NY State

Do I have any other options?

oilhammer

TDI
Your local dealer. That's where we get them from, and probably the only place that sells them.

Or you could look into a delete. :eek:

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Look into a delete? Not sure what that means

Are there any tutorial videos showing how this gets replaced? I don’t have access to a lift. If I attempt to do this myself I would be working underneath the car up on jackstands.

I also looked under the recommended mechanics list. The only place on that list is in Syracuse New York. That’s probably seven hours away. I will never use my local VW dealer again. They double filled my transmission at 40,000. When I did it myself at 80,000 I got 9 quarts of transmission fluid when I drained it.

Does anyone know of any recommended TDI mechanics in the Long Island area? 516 or 631 area codes?

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
That would royally suck to do on the ground. I'm sure it can be done, but it would not be fun. I know I'm spoiled.

Delete means you take off the entire exhaust system post-turbo and replace it with a straight pipe, get the ECU lobotomized, and never have to worry about this again, the car will run better, use less fuel, and you can even double your OCI. This is not legal. But lots of people do it.

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Once again does anyone know of a decent TDI mechanic in the Long Island area?

And I’m going to ask the same question again: Will any of those cleaners buy me some time to help clean out the DPF? Or possibly using the VCDS program to run the regeneration option?

oilhammer

TDI
I do not know of anyone in your area, hopefully someone else will chime in.

The sooty tailpipe is the telltale sign that your DPF is internally broken. There is a TSB for this. Cleaning it won't do anything, because it is broken. And if you leave it like it is, it will also take out the de-NOx catalyst as well as the secondary catalyst, because neither one of those was ever intended to ingest the raw PM passing through your broken DPF, nor is the EGR system, which is why you have the EGR flow problem.

MikeH31324

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door 6MT
Time to delete or sell and move on. It can be done on jack stands. I just had my car up on some 6 ton stands and it was super easy to remove the subframe and transmission. With the subframe out of the way the DPF is very easy to access.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Yep, big job. Are your tailpipes sooty inside? That is usually the quick telltale sign.
I drop the subframe and take the passenger side axle loose from the transmission and swing it out of the way. Then you have plenty of room.
This is what it looks like removed:
OH- Do you remove the sensors before removing the DPF, or do you just unplug them and pull out everything at once?

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Time to delete or sell and move on. It can be done on jack stands. I just had my car up on some 6 ton stands and it was super easy to remove the subframe and transmission. With the subframe out of the way the DPF is very easy to access.
I would like to explore the delete option.

I plan on keeping this car for many years.

Would someone please post any helpful tips how to do this?

I am self employed and haven’t worked in the past three months. They’ve scared people and many are not letting tradesman into their homes. I don’t have the money now to replace the DPF.

Any helpful advice on how to do this delete would be greatly appreciated!

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
I have one question:

Does doing the delete make the car fail an inspection emissions test in New York State?

I’m reading threads about this Malone stage 2 kit. Would someone please explain how this works with a DPF delete?

Last edited:

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
I've done two delete jobs so far and they're not hard, especially if you can get access to a lift.

That being said, If you were to lower the subframe a bit to gain more space (rather than just unbolting the axle from the trans) I can't imagine it would be all that bad replacing the bad DPF with a good one.

I've got two DPFs available (50k and 65k on them) and I'm pretty sure Oilhammer has a bunch of good second hand ones as well. Buying a lightly used DPF from a member on here is probably your most cost effective option. A delete and tune is about $700-1000 on the low end.

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks for the information. I plan on keeping this car for many years. I don’t have access to a lift. I have a question about the NY State inspection emissions test.

Will any of these delete modifications pass an inspection/emissions test? I’ve watched them do the inspection test. They plug a cable into the diagnostic port under the dashboard. They don’t put anything in the tailpipe or put it on a lift.

Are there any other modifications which people have used to pass a yearly inspection test? I’ve read some posts about a Malone system 2 tune and a Rawtech kit. At this point I would rather go that route IF in the long run I have less headaches.

Once again what stuff would I need to buy to get this done? I’d prefer to bite the bullet and forego the expense. I would also be looking for someone here to do the work.

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Is there any way a delete will pass a NYS emissions?

I’ve read some posts about this Malone Systems “Tune”. Do any of of these after market systems help a “delete” pass an emission? In NY state they don’t put it on a lift. They just plug in to the diagnostic port under the dash.