1Z/AHU Power Steering Delete With AC, How To Drive Water Pump?

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
goto the samba.. ask how to adjust the alt/gen on a bug.. or porsche 911/912.. the shims allow for the v area to be wider/thinner to make belt snug..

and imo.. rolling a v belt on to it a bad idea.. how would ya know the belt broke before ya cook it ? rolling it on you can break the inner structure of sald belt.. allowing it to come off while driving..

Belt Broke? How is it going to be any different with a two piece pulley.. The pulley going to send you a text when the belt takes off?

I think anyone that has ever worked on aircooled vw knows how the two piece pulley works. Finding one another story.

If you have ever run a cement mixer.... you dont have time to mess with adjustments. you roll a belt on and keep going, as with a lot of equipment.
Belts are tough. If you destroy one rolling it on you are doing something wrong,

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI

here's the serpentine setup i came up with for my van

ALH crank pulley, spaced out ~3mm, ALH 120a alternator, VR6 WP pulley (spaced properly), 1.6 d t belt tensioner via custom bracket held on by lower alt bolt ... stock accessory bracket modified by removal of tensioner and cutting off boss ... can't recall the belt number but it is NOT a common belt, seems like it was for a cobalt w/o AC ?

Last edited:

specialed1995

TDI
1Z 1.9 TDI from 1996 B4 Passat

here's the serpentine setup i came up with for my van

ALH crank pulley, spaced out ~3mm, ALH 120a alternator, VR6 WP pulley (spaced properly), 1.6 d t belt tensioner via custom bracket held on by lower alt bolt ... stock accessory bracket modified by removal of tensioner and cutting off boss ... can't recall the belt number but it is NOT a common belt, seems like it was for a cobalt w/o AC ?
Thank you so much!!!! I believe this will be the perfect setup for my Saturn TDI conversion, it eliminates the V-belt, which makes things simpler just having one belt, and I won't have to worry about clearance issues for the extra belt.

Do you have any details about the bracket you made. I'm guessing it's just a piece of metal with a hole to bolt to the alternator and a threaded hole for the tensioner bolt right? And the 1.6 timing belt tensioner acts as the belt tensioner too.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
can't remember the details but it's basically a chunk af aluminum machined with a step and two bolt holes, one counterbored for an allen alt mount bolt and the other threaded for the 10mm tensioner bolt... plans include making a new stepped bracket that spans both alternator bolt holes... also the ALH balancer and alternator are not neccesary but do provide a good underdrive on both components and the ALH crank pulley is much more reliable

Last edited:

harpy

TDI
1998 Jetta
Reviving this thread to try and figure out what solution ended up working. I’m deleting my ps pump for this ahu swap so I’ll need to run my wp with a v belt rolled on or some other setup.

Seems the pulley someone mentioned is still available

https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/products/Volkswagen-VW/V-belt-pulley/5138892/068121029A.html

Thank you so much!!!! I believe this will be the perfect setup for my Saturn TDI conversion, it eliminates the V-belt, which makes things simpler just having one belt, and I won't have to worry about clearance issues for the extra belt.

Do you have any details about the bracket you made. I'm guessing it's just a piece of metal with a hole to bolt to the alternator and a threaded hole for the tensioner bolt right? And the 1.6 timing belt tensioner acts as the belt tensioner too.