Vago-Tacho

Uncle Milty

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA GLS TDI
I am kind of slow and forgetful and have only one key for my MK4 Jetta TDI, and no key or radio codes. Not a good place to be!

I have a blank key and can get it cut, I am also willing to pay a reasonable fee for a dealer supplied key.

I bought an "E-bay" cable and it came with a disk of software, wow what a messed up presention that disk is.
VWTools and VAG-Com 409.1 do work with this interface, but the software I want to use, VAG-Tacho, will not work for me.

Anyone I could vist have a working version I could use for a few minutes? Anyone care to send me a PM to discuss my problem?

Thanks!!

blackmagic16

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, Black
Not meaning to hijack this thread.

But i have a key (just the key, a vallet key i guess) and it will unlock the car dis-arm the security when used in the door. But it wont start the car. It will turn over, start then die after 2 seconds? What is the problem?

If maybe someone could answer my question along with Uncle Milty's that would be great

Uncle Milty

Veteran Member
TDI
So I can tell that the cable I have will not work with Vag-Tacho because it does work with the shareware version of VAG-Com and also with VWTools?
Well bugger, it came with 2-3 different versions of Tacho too!

blackmagic16,
sounds like you need to have the imobiliser chip programed to your car, just like me. Knowing the year and model is important to programers, I think.

Once again I ask if anyone in the Maritimes has a VAG-tacho that I/they can use to program my keys, or do I have to e-bay it?

Uncle Milty

Veteran Member
TDI
Got my VAG-TacXo cable today.
Very nice cable quality, nice strain relief, with all the pins in the OBD2 end, and it's a stright USB, not a serial/usb. The mini cd only has one program on it as well, nice change from the Com cd that was full of programs that wouldn't work.

I have a few OBD software programs. It will be interesting to see if they work with this cable, they didn't work with the serial/USB VAG-com cable that has the missing pins. It works fine with 4.09 though.

HarmonicRichness

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI
11 year old thread, I hope I get a reply!

Hi, Nova Scotian here, wanted to follow up with this and see if anyone here on the coast has a Vag Tacho cable, I’m eager to get my Jetta rolling with the help of some enthusiasts. I have a 3D printed key and an ID48 chip to program! Would happily share my key blank design!

themightyquinn

TDI
1999 New Beetle Black
11 year old thread, I hope I get a reply!

Hi, Nova Scotian here, wanted to follow up with this and see if anyone here on the coast has a Vag Tacho cable, I’m eager to get my Jetta rolling with the help of some enthusiasts. I have a 3D printed key and an ID48 chip to program! Would happily share my key blank design!
The 3D printed key sounds really interesting.

As far as Vag-Tacho, do you have a (authentic) VAG-Com cable? I bought a VAG-Tacho cable years ago, but had difficulty getting it to work. I ended up using my Key-USB cable to pull the SKC. Once you have the SKC key programming can be done through the VAG-Com software. This is true for a MK4, unsure if later changes make pulling the SKC more difficult/impossible.

https://sites.google.com/site/imnuts/

Not direct help, but may be helpful if you already have a VAG-Com or at least expand your search a bit as you don't necessarily need a VAG-Tacho.