Ea288 150HP head of VS ea288 240HP head

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
2.0 TDI CR SWAP ALWAYS FOR SALE
anybody can come up with the USA 6 speed manual Starter motor part number for that 2015 2016 TDI mk7 US part number?

Thx

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
anybody can come up with the USA 6 speed manual Starter motor part number for that 2015 2016 TDI mk7 US part number?

Thx

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
Nope that is not it! The clutch and flywheel has changed and the nose of starter has a thinner shoulder near by the gear.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The old cr head has capability to reach 290-300 in stock form.
With porting and camshaft it will go over 400hp. Too much of a trouble in swapping heads ..not even sure is possible.
Just wanted to add that Darkside tested out a ported head on a customer's GTD with 2260 then 2872. Couldn't get over 286bhp. The CRUA/CUNA is designed with max efficiency, not performance unfortunately. Probably a daunting effort to think of test fitting CUAA head. Would love to see someone try though!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Syncrogreg, what did you end up with?

It can be done....but its a drag. The old engines can in fact make excellent power. I really like the CUAA(and have done a ton of research on it), but they are just different enough, that the swap wouldnt be as easy as one would think. Are you looking for a particular benefit that the CUAA offers?
Are you saying the CUAA head could be swapped onto a CRUA given one could be sourced? Not cheap at all for the few I've seen, so maybe not worth the effort.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Well if ds werent able to get the max out of it that doesnt say that head is not good for more than that, or restrictive.

Remember that there is always somebody outhere that will prove you wrong. It will happen.
Soon we will have a go at this engine to see how much we can squeeze out of the cp3 pump and a better turbo.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
They made 253bhp with GTB2260 and stock fuel pump followed by 286bhp with CP3, headwork, and GTD2872. Both of those turbos are capable of far better on the older motors not to mention the mere 30hp bump with all that extra work. I think that says enough about the head layout being a major limiting factor at play, no?

The valves being located one behind the other vs side by side (when looking from the front) is for swirl rather than performance.

I'd love to source a CUAA head, but everything I've seen has been a small fortune.

Last edited:

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
The gtd2872 is not the best of turbos ..not much to add.
A good tuner had a go at it and it make sky high EMP , worse than the gtb2565 , he had to stop at 380hp on 3.0 engine.
So for what it costs ..waste of money.
I can find CUA head but they are not cheap, nor is the shipping to US for such a heavy package.

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
They made 253bhp with GTB2260 and stock fuel pump followed by 286bhp with CP3, headwork, and GTD2872. Both of those turbos are capable of far better on the older motors not to mention the mere 30hp bump with all that extra work. I think that says enough about the head layout being a major limiting factor at play, no?

The valves being located one behind the other vs side by side (when looking from the front) is like Best Buy only opening one door on Black Friday, you're only getting but so many folks in the door.

I'd love to source a CUAA head, but everything I've seen has been a small fortune.

My CUAA engined car made 290bhp at the crank with just a simple remapp and no other mods. There was only 1000miles on the clock when it was done.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I've seen your thread about that, impressive for sure! Would still love to hear some input from those that know more than myself whether a CUAA head will transfer over.

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
This is my favorite so far! The 2260 with a plain stock engine makes 253HP. This is awesome in my opinion it makes for a super simple and robust setup.

The previous engine would stop flowing at around 235-240hp.

So for the installs with zero internal mods in mind the EA288 will get the best power with just 1 turbo!

My CUAA is being delivered next week it's going in the bug for pikes peak. It looks like 330HP with just the turbo mod.

For me that plan to sell my VW bug as a production choosing the best engine that require no internal mods make sense.... For now.

Talk very soon!

Greg

The valves being located one behind the other vs side by side (when looking from the front) is like Best Buy only opening one door on Black Friday, you're only getting but so many folks in the door.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Keep in mind those are BHP figures. Their Dyno of GTD1752vrk on 1.6CR was 234bhp. Translated to CRUA at the wheel on my car was a mere 190/330.

Awesome you got an entire motor!

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Cua for sure is ready for 400+ hp with no mods. Tuning it will not be easy.
I would have kept the biturbo setup. No gains in going single bigger.

I might get into ea288 soon and the head swap is the first on my mind.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Those CUAA engines are getting pricier...definitely run the dual turbos if you can....but at least you have the basic engine and harness...thats a big deal in and of itself....hope you are running the native ECU.

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
After some testing I'm happy to find out that MK7 Cvca ises 4bar Map sensor from factory ;-) different part number than CUAA but same spec!

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
The engine I'm using right now is brand new crate engine VW 2.0 TDI MK7 with just a Garrett GTB2260VK and develop (222WHP/265BHP)

I'm also about to fit the European version MK7 that come stock with 240BHP and much stronger internals and factory ported head. This will make it easy to reach 400BHP.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
nice sizing/placement for perspective!

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
Anybody know of a good flywheel clutch pack with 8 holes that would work with my b5 Passat transaxle?
I can only find 6 holes for single mass flywheel. And the 8 holes are extra thick...
Thx

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Oh SNAP..... @Syncrogreg
You are this guy

I guess you sorted things out since this post. LOL

Bravo!

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
So awesome.... nah, I don't do social... but I do read about tech here and there and I did see a video on hoonigan or somewhere a few years back on the bug.... I've also trolled your site.

I'll have to follow closer!
Awesome stuff!

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
I see all the talk about the US EA288 not having VVT, my 2015 CRUA Golf has the VVT as it broke last year dude to not running correctly from horrible dealership warranty work that they made me pay $1400 to fix.

then the CP4 they replaced had an issue which threw the timing off so now I may have bent/damaged valves. That I’m googling info on and brought me here

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure where anyone said the CRUA/CVCA didn't have VVT, because it very clearly does. CUA version of EA288 does not and is a VERY different head.