i belive i have a vnt-15 turbo, what are my performance upgrades?

andreyGTA

TDI
2002 Golf 5 Speed
Whne my turbo blew last year my father ordered from tdiparts.com a VNT-15
The imahe looks very familiar to what he showed me last year.

In any case, what can I do to increase performance.
I am aware of
manual boost control- i saw one online and i do not know how one would adjust it to say 18PSI since the knob has no markings....

blow off valves? do tdi need them?

please enlighten me with what is possible as I am debating on .205 or .216 nozzles

dieselfueler

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD100 Jetta Wagon
It's a diesel not a gasser. Diesel run lean by their nature more boost or air will do very little for performance you must add fuel to get power the upgrade path for ALH's is :

Nozzles
clutch (just nozzles will make your stock clutch slip)
chip/remap (RC,Alligator, E.G)
bigger turbo
intake and exhaust upgrades
intercooler

Please take the time to read up on upgrades and look at what others have done. No need to try to reinvent the wheel, do what others have done. Bigger is not always better, huge injectors without the correct upgrade will smoke,not make power and kill MPG's. Do not try to adjust boost yourself (you'll be buying yourself another turbo or worst a motor) or buy a "ebay" tuning box (a total waste of money) there are several great vendors on this board that would be more than willing to help you find the upgrade path that best fits your goals and budget with proven and quality parts. They support this board and try to support them.

the search function is your friend here.

QUOTE=andreyGTA]Whne my turbo blew last year my father ordered from tdiparts.com a VNT-15
The image looks very familiar to what he showed me last year.

In any case, what can I do to increase performance.
I am aware of
manual boost control- i saw one online and i do not know how one would adjust it to say 18PSI since the knob has no markings....

blow off valves? do tdi need them?

please enlighten me with what is possible as I am debating on .205 or .216 nozzles[/QUOTE]

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
dieselfueler said:
the upgrade path for ALH's is :

Nozzles
clutch (just nozzles will make your stock clutch slip)
chip/remap (RC,Alligator, E.G)
bigger turbo
intake and exhaust upgrades
intercooler
Here's a path.....

Nozzles.
Clutch (G60/VR6)
Muffler delete/ Cat back upsize exhaust to 2.5
Chip/remap/tune (stage 2??)
cat delete/Downpipe upsize to 2.5
VNT 17
Chip/remap/tune (stage 3)

Its kinda nice. You can do these one at a time. Each upgrade will make a noticable difference and you'll be addicted. Birthday money=nozzles, aniversary money=clutch, sneak some money aside that the wifey dont know about = exhaust, sell some junk on ebay=remap/tune, Christmas = downpipe, income tax refund=vnt 17 If you see what I mean.

But to start with you should install EGT and boost gauge so you can protect your car from meltdown.

Last edited:

dieselfueler

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD100 Jetta Wagon
Yep a boost and EGT gauge is a good thing to help keep an eye on things before they happen but before/or at the sametime as the chip. a boostvalve will help keep things under control. The money thing is so true once you start adding performance stuff you'll want more it's additive.