Veg oil / sunflower oil uk cars

my slow golf

TDI
Golf 130
Hi would a VW asz 130 bhp engine cope with neat vegetable oil or sunflower oil as fuel or would i need to use additives such as petrol or the likes? JUst for curiosity purposes. Been debating this for a while with some friends.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
That is "straight vegetable oil" or "SVO", and you really don't want to be running a modern high-technology diesel engine (like your "pumpe-duse" or P-D engine) on that. Blending it with gasoline won't solve the problems and creates some new ones. There are conversion kits out there that claim to be able to run these engines on SVO (generally they start the engine on regular diesel and heat the vegetable oil up, and switch over to heated vegetable oil after a warm-up period), but reports of success or failure are very mixed.

dunk-s3

TDI
a3 pd140
dont both with the svo, its just about as cheap to use bio in the uk

svo is 60-65p /L wholesale or in the supermarkets, and you can get bio at about 60-65p/L delivered. i run my pd140 on a b80-b90 mix in winter and b100 in summer. only problem is a slightly slower start in winter - it needs to turn over for 5 secs or so to start rather than the first crank on diesel.

had to change the fuel filter after the first 3 tanks when it stopped pulling due to blockage/fuel starvation due to the liberated tank/pipe crud.