www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old January 11th, 2019, 08:14   #1
jesus_man
Veteran Member

Default Culprit of intermittent engine shut down on cold starts?

So his scenario has happened twice while under my ownership. The first time to my wife as she was attempting to take her parents to the airport and second time was yesterday to me.

I had used the car to run the kids to school, get some errands ran, and return home; about a 45 mile adventure. Temps that morning were fairly cold; in the high 20's, but there were no hints of issues.

Early that afternoon I get in the car to go get the kids from school, temps now in the 30's. I started it normally, but it ran rough for a second then died. hmmm. So I turn off the key, and cycle it back on and allow the glow plugs to do their thing for about 5 seconds and I start it again. It takes about 5 seconds of cranking before it fires. Still running rough, I begin to back out of the driveway. As I switch from R to D, the car dies again. I restart again after more than normal cranking; puzzled as to what is going on. There is no CEL or any indication on the dash. I restart again, this time backing into the driveway, popping the hood and not seeing anything that would seem to cause issues. The engine appears to be running normally again on this startup. So I close the hood, say a little prayer and head out. The car ran normally from there on. This morning, temps in the low 20's I feared it may not start but it did normally and ran great.

I'd love any advice. I do have VAG-COM, but am a very novice user. I have owned the car 11 months and I did not get any service history. I am at 112k miles and I know the timing belt R&R is around the corner. I have changed the oil regularly with the right stuff from idparts.com and am making plans to replace the fuel filter.

Thanks!

2009 JSW TDI DSG - sold back to VW
2002 VW Passat Wagon, 6spd, silver Family hauler! - Euro Spec

2006 Jetta TDI Bought 6/25/06 (traded in 10/2009 @ 43mpg
jesus_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 08:38   #2
Swinging Steel

Fuel Economy: 50-NMS, 43-Wagon

That just happened to me this week. Probably too much water in your lower intercooler pipe...passenger side. Make it a regular maintenance task to drain it and wipe out the sludge. maybe every other oil change. be thankful it didn't hydrolock. I guess it's a common issue...see the first sticky in this forum. Seems like some people get away with drilling a small hole in the bottom of the pipe, but I wonder how that doesn't affect the turbo's performance, because that whole line delivers pressurized air. My first issue didn't occur until 85k....so I just plan on draining it every other fuel filter change. Good luck with the car.
Swinging Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 08:52   #3
piotrsko
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46 city/56 hwy so far wonder what the Golf gets

A 3mm 1/16 hole isn't going to leak worse than some of the seals, but it's enough to drain the pipe fairly fast.
piotrsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 10:05   #4
jesus_man
Veteran Member

It was worth the shot, but there was very little water in there. Some sludge that I cleaned out best I could, but only 2 or 3 drops of water.

Back to the drawing board.

Old January 11th, 2019, 14:34   #5
Matt927
Veteran Member

TDI(s): several

Block your lower grill during cold weather. Problem solved.
Matt927 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 15:00   #6
jesus_man
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt927 View Post
Block your lower grill during cold weather. Problem solved.
I fear it isn't that simple.

Old January 11th, 2019, 19:33   #7
INSW20

I had something like this happen when ambient temps were 30F, but my car was facing bright sunlight (my ambient air temp display on the dash showed 56F). Not sure if the sun heated something to the point there was a mismatch between measured and actual air temp which then caused improper fueling/timing? Just an idea.
INSW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2019, 08:15   #8
jesus_man
Veteran Member

I had experienced a small fuel leak from the outlet of the small pump near the coolant overflow tank. I discovered that I did not tighten it well enough before as it was loose again. So I got more serious about tightening it and will check that after a few days to see if it's still holding.

It's plausible that the leak might cause my issue, but it wasn't that much of a leak unless fuel was siphoned out of the injection system??

No problems since that day and the car handled the 5" of snow we received Friday night quite well!