solid lifters

shanky887614

TDI
vw caddy arl
ive got a 1.9tdi bassically the same as the pd150

now i was thinking of fitting uprated valve springs when when do you normally need to fit these?

im going to fit oversized valves and solid lifters anyway as i can get both for €300

now the springs are €200 on there own so was wondering when you need them.

im going to be running a gtb2260 hybrid so should easily be pushing over 350

Sent from my ASUS_X00ID using Tapatalk

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I'm not familiar with the ARL.
I wonder how the clearances get adjusted. Shims? Ugh.

shanky887614

TDI
vw caddy arl
I'm not familiar with the ARL.
I wonder how the clearances get adjusted. Shims? Ugh.
got it all sorted through a fb group.

long story short rosten sell solid lifters abd the shims you need and they are a straight fit

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
this is a topic for Frank06
springs are upgraded when you want to go higher in RPM, Bigger valves are for some serious work, If you did bigger valves and not a port and polish with a CNC, you wasted some serious cash for no reason.

shanky887614

TDI
vw caddy arl
this is a topic for Frank06
springs are upgraded when you want to go higher in RPM, Bigger valves are for some serious work, If you did bigger valves and not a port and polish with a CNC, you wasted some serious cash for no reason.
€18 a valve for oversized so might as well :)

solid lifters are the same price as the valves

Last edited:

Ken140TDI

TDI
Golf mk5 GT TDI
I have just bought a cam from frank06. I also have fitted the solid lifters from Geir at Rosten.
If you fit the solid lifters you will also need the upside down lash caps. And you will need special valve topping tool to machine the lash caps to get a valve clearance.
I’m an engine reconditioner so it was not too hard for me. I also had to make up a dummy valve stem to place the lash cap on to to machine it and this had to be a perfect fit.
I see no reason to fit uprated valve springs unless you are going to be Reving the engine past 5500 rpm.
If you are not going to need that sort of rpm all you will do is cause the cam to wear out much faster.
The oversize valves the Geir at rosten does are 1mm larger than std and are the largest size valves you can fit on the std inserts in the head.

Just a few other points for you.
You won’t get more than about 280 bhp and keep the head on with std head bolts. You will need arp head studs. And the only place to buy those is darkside.
Another point is that the limit of the std of 150 arl injector nozzles is about 280 bhp. So you will need uprated injector nozzles from firrad which you cant fit your self. As the injector has to be calibrated and set up on a proper rig.
Then your into some serious money for tuning to get it all to work properly.
I’ve spent a good few years learning to map my own cars with non std injectors and to do it right takes months of work using an afr gauge and calculating the duration maps onthe pc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shanky887614

TDI
vw caddy arl
Pushing easy 350+hp with a 2260? That sounds dangerous high EGT, and over the limit of the turbo.
I have just bought a cam from frank06. I also have fitted the solid lifters from Geir at Rosten.
If you fit the solid lifters you will also need the upside down lash caps. And you will need special valve topping tool to machine the lash caps to get a valve clearance.
I’m an engine reconditioner so it was not too hard for me. I also had to make up a dummy valve stem to place the lash cap on to to machine it and this had to be a perfect fit.
I see no reason to fit uprated valve springs unless you are going to be Reving the engine past 5500 rpm.
If you are not going to need that sort of rpm all you will do is cause the cam to wear out much faster.
The oversize valves the Geir at rosten does are 1mm larger than std and are the largest size valves you can fit on the std inserts in the head.

Just a few other points for you.
You won’t get more than about 280 bhp and keep the head on with std head bolts. You will need arp head studs. And the only place to buy those is darkside.
Another point is that the limit of the std of 150 arl injector nozzles is about 280 bhp. So you will need uprated injector nozzles from firrad which you cant fit your self. As the injector has to be calibrated and set up on a proper rig.
Then your into some serious money for tuning to get it all to work properly.
I’ve spent a good few years learning to map my own cars with non std injectors and to do it right takes months of work using an afr gauge and calculating the duration maps onthe pc.

i already have arp head studs and have some firad injectors.

a friend of mine has mapped a load of setups with firads so shouldnt be too bad.

a standard 2260 will see 300bhp.

a 2260 hybrid with bigger wheels can see 350

by the way darkside are not the only ones to sell the headstuds and there are more than 1 version of the studs

Ken140TDI

TDI
Golf mk5 GT TDI
Really ??? I spent ages looking. Had several sets from other places that said theirs fitted but none did.
I hate buying from darkside as I find them not very helpful and expensive.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Multiple places to find studs. I put them 2 years ago when ds did not even had them available.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I don't understand the solid lifters thing. Is the oil pump overdriven on the CR motors like on BRM motors where it'll pump up the lifters and stall the engine on cold oil?

Is it about the newer two stage lash adjusters that leave some valve lift on the table? You can take out the secondary bits and they function like a normal hydraulic lifter again.

shanky887614

TDI
vw caddy arl
I don't understand the solid lifters thing. Is the oil pump overdriven on the CR motors like on BRM motors where it'll pump up the lifters and stall the engine on cold oil?

Is it about the newer two stage lash adjusters that leave some valve lift on the table? You can take out the secondary bits and they function like a normal hydraulic lifter again.

the 1.9pd engine is not a common rail engine and the hydralic lifters wear quite often and are heavier than solid lifters

smoking

TDI
A5 3.0 TDI quattro + Golf II AFN + Golf IV ASZ
The fastest PD owner on the planet said that solid lifters were too much trouble too maintain for a race car...and went back to hydraulic lifters and still runs under 9.5S on the 1/4 mile so you should be golden :)

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
the 1.9pd engine is not a common rail engine and the hydralic lifters wear quite often and are heavier than solid lifters
Are they really heavier? Even full of oil... they're made of sheetsteel rather than the thick heavy steel puck used for lash adjustment on the solid lifters

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
The fastest PD owner on the planet said that solid lifters were too much trouble too maintain for a race car...and went back to hydraulic lifters and still runs under 9.5S on the 1/4 mile so you should be golden :)
LOL, just convinced me out of them on my build.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
When you get into head work/ performance there is so many opinions about what’s good and not. Everyone thinks heavy duty springs are the best when they aren’t. Don’t see the point of solid lifters when the hydraulic ones work just fine. Just buy buckets to match the valve and cam combo. Any company such as COLT will know what to install for best performance and longevity.