White smoke and running rough :/

Flooormatt

TDI
VW golf tdi
Mk4 tdi golf:
I recently installed pp520’s from KermaTDI. Had them pop tested and they worked fine. When I installed them the car started right up but idles with a little white smoke and even though it sounds ok I feel like t could idle a little better. THe really problem is when I try to rev it. It produces a lot of white smoke and runs really rough, at first I thought this was due to air in my fuel lines so I replaced the fuel filter and it fixed the air issue, however it still runs poorly. I think I may need to make some adjustments to the air/fuel ratio.

I wanted to get a tune for it, would this possibly fix the bad fuel/air ratio problem or is t something else?

Thanks to all those who can help out.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I wanted to get a tune for it, would this possibly fix the bad fuel/air ratio problem or is t something else?................
It might, but I would get it sorted out before tuning. Try getting the IQ number a bit higher (5?). There may recommendations over in the TDI Power Enhancements

Assuming the car was good before and the nozzles were not replaced in an attempt to solve a different issue.

Flooormatt

TDI
VW golf tdi
Where's the timing and what's the IQ set to?
Thanks for the reply, and I’m not sure. I have no experience with checking timing and IQ. I was wondering if maybe the timing had slipped a little bit or something. The car has 230,000 miles on it. What kind of equipment would I need to check? Or would I need to take it in?

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
VCDS software and the interface cable from ross-tech.com. If you're going to be working on and modding these cars you should have it.

Chinesium cables can be had for cheap but you get what you pay for.

Flooormatt

TDI
VW golf tdi
It might, but I would get it sorted out before tuning. Try getting the IQ number a bit higher (5?). There may recommendations over in the TDI Power Enhancements

Assuming the car was good before and the nozzles were not replaced in an attempt to solve a different issue.
I was driving it before I swapped the injectors. It did produce a little white smoke occasionally before. It also felt pretty sluggish, like I couldn’t merge on the highway faster then 60-65 mph. I swapped the injectors hoping this would solve the issue. I’m not to familiar with these cars, I know that stock thier only 90 horsepower but I didn’t think it’s be that slow, maybe I’m wrong. I’ll have to get the timing and IQ looked at

Flooormatt

TDI
VW golf tdi
Alright so quick update. issue a purchase from Ross tech and got the IQ turned up to around 5.2. The timing was all good, just above the blue line. The engines idle improved and and I could gas it up to about 1600 rpms before sputtering kicked in again... it as rough this time but still not good. White smoke still there as well. I ran a auto scan and it threw a p0102 code on the maf sensor. My initial thoughts are either a bad maf sensor or a leaky vacuum hose. Any thoughts? Help would be greatly appreciated!