axle removal?

commanderjjones

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS, silver 5-speed
I'm getting ready to replace my axle. Looks like the bolt is similar to a torx bit, but it's not. What do I need? Hoping it's not something special. I've been wrenching on stuff a long time and have never ran across one like that before.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
12 point, triple square and xzn are all names for it.

You should be able to get it locally at an auto arts store. They often come in a 4 pack with different sizes.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
I'm getting ready to replace my axle. Looks like the bolt is similar to a torx bit, but it's not. What do I need? Hoping it's not something special. I've been wrenching on stuff a long time and have never ran across one like that before.
Not a Torx, but if you are referring to the six bolts that hold the inboard end of the axle into the cups - those are 12 point hex (or some people refer to them as "triple square") - you can buy a metric 12pt driver bit (or a set of them).

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
.......................... I've been wrenching on stuff a long time and have never ran across one like that before.
Well then you know, you're never done buying tools. Some of the real expensive cars will even come with some of the special bits.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Could be either 10 or 8, I think 8 is more common. Depends on your transmission / year etc.
All my 03 manuals have been 8.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Volkswagen has been using these since 1968... hardly anything "new". Lots of cars have them in various places now. Better than an Allen or Torx, that's for sure.

I hope you are not putting a store bought Chaxle in there. :(

XZN or Triple Square is the fastener type. Your car should be a #8. Same as a 1968 auto-stick Beetle or automatic Type 3... and ALL of the IRS cars from 1969 onwards.

Last edited: