Boost log graph

rpm-inc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 beetle, 2015 golf s
I don't have excel and wouldn't know how to use it if i did. Could somebody graph it for me and post it here? I can email the csv file. Thanks!

rpm-inc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 beetle, 2015 golf s
Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
The 2 boost graph's are very close together.
I'm not an expert but Mine vary from each other more.
I also may have a bit of sticking in the turbo.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Actual boost is dropping off when it shouldn't be. Not sure what that little spike drop is there, but that ain't right either. N75 looks "lazy" to me: don't ask me what that means (it just "looks" lazy- might be because boost doesn't look like it's real quick, hence the N75 doesn't have to react quickly?).

I believe that Malone's instructions say to run from 1,800 rpm to redline, in third gear; burying the pedal and keeping it that way.

Here's a graph from my son's car, stock tune but T4 nozzles (note how boost shoots up an is knocked back down and then holds very well to Requested):

https://log.malonetuning.com/chart/...DmsKbw6NmUsOWwpnCrWrDuwnDoQd3w6PDgsKWwo0AAAA=

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Actual boost is dropping off when it shouldn't be. Not sure what that little spike drop is there, but that ain't right either. N75 looks "lazy" to me: don't ask me what that means (it just "looks" lazy- might be because boost doesn't look like it's real quick, hence the N75 doesn't have to react quickly?).
Could this be a bad MAF sensor?
Would MAF logging with the boost & N75 help?
Maybe a look inside the EGR valve to see if it and the intake are clogged?

rpm-inc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 beetle, 2015 golf s
Could this be a bad MAF sensor?
Would MAF logging with the boost & N75 help?
Maybe a look inside the EGR valve to see if it and the intake are clogged?
I can do another log. Previous owner said he cleaned the intake when he deleted the egr/asv. Should probably do a log with the n18 connected to the turbo actuator?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
What's the story on this car?

The requested Air numbers look problematic. And the N75 doesn't look like it's doing what it should: max change % is low.

Can you log per Malone's instructions? (they call for a 3rd gear pull from 1,500 rpm to red line)

rpm-inc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 beetle, 2015 golf s
The car is a 2000 beetle that I bought with a blown 01m. Put a 5 spd in it and timing belt. EGR was deleted by PO. i have put about 4k miles on it since then.

After posting, I did realize that the maf actual is probably following actual boost, not the other way around. At this point I am thinking something is sticky with the actuator or vanes, causing the boost to over and undershoot. I have not done any testing on this. Maybe this weekend. Car has about 140k miles on it.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
They all look fine to me. If you're purchasing a tune from Malone, they should be able to give better analysis (ask). Getting everything squared away before a tune is just smart.
I remember visiting a local guru for service, he had just finished a chip session with Jeff from RC, he had no less than 4 TDIs in the yard awaiting further repair.

rpm-inc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 beetle, 2015 golf s
OK, thanks. I don't think the boost should be fluctuating as much as it is?????

rpm-inc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 beetle, 2015 golf s
https://log.malonetuning.com/chart/229948#H8KLCADDl33CpVoCA8KLwo4FACnCu0wNAgAAAA==

Boost is supposed to change slightly as it cycles on and off?

Crawled under the car and the circlip is missing. Ran the same test while under the car, and the lever doesnt go to the stop. I can pull it to the stop about another 3/8" or so.

I drained the intercooler about 4k ago when I did the timing belt. Drained it again and got about 2 table spoons. Also, oil is seeping from the boost hose connection above the timing belt cover. Thinking I should just get a new turbo?

rpm-inc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 beetle, 2015 golf s
Got the actuator off and it is a mess. Rust hole and rattling around inside. Vane lever moves freely. Put a new garrett actuator on and it hits the stop at 19 in. Doing the basic settings test, it cycles all the way now. So now n75, vacuum lines, and actuator are all new. New log today.
https://log.malonetuning.com/chart/230267#H8KLCADCqcOFwq5aAgPCi8KOBQApwrtMDQIAAAA=

Disregard the on off log. Is this considered normal now? Seems like the dip after the overshoot is a bit much?