New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

Nwb2TDI

TDI
2015 Golf
New Guy Here!

Hi Everyone,

This is my first TDI.. Just got a 2015 Golf 2.0L TDI (highline). I love it..and of course the extra kms I get. Since I drive 120 KMS per day, a tdi made sense. I'm looking forward to reading over the info on this site to get tips and tricks and help in the future. Ive always lowered and changed wheels on my dubs so Ill probably be doing that soon (yes I know I will lose some fuel efficiency).

Do many guys lower and add larger wheels on their TDIs? I cant seem to find many people who do...

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The kids over on vwvortex are really into that lower and bigger. We at Fred's, not so much. Haven't had the pleasure of a 2015, but the older ones were too low to the ground to begin with. But hey, get it the way you like it.

Nwb2TDI

TDI
2015 Golf
sounds good... hard filtering through all the non TDI stuff on vortex. I heard the TDIs have a low sitting motor. I will be adding a skid plate just to be safe

Thank you!

1slicks4

TDI
2006 Beetle TDI
Hello From Tulsa, Ok

Hello everyone,

Thanks for letting me join the board! My name is Jake. I am from Tulsa Ok and I own a 06 TDI BEETLE and 01.5 Audi S4.. My S4 is a toy and my wife drives the beetle. Never had to work on the beetle because well because its never needed fixed. My audi I've rebuilt front to back and upgraded all over the place. I have a full vag VCDS setup and help my locals all the time ( time permitting).. read quite a bit on this board before joining and there is a lot of helpful info here. I hope I can contribute to something.. Again thanks for the add!

Tosh3.0

TDI
B5.5 Passat
Hey. From Toronto Canada. Trying to put my Passat back on the road..she's a 05 b5.5 tdi. Blue in color. Love the car but the auto took a dump. Not giving up on her as a manual tranny is about to go in her very soon.

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
Good luck and welcome!
Hey. From Toronto Canada. Trying to put my Passat back on the road..she's a 05 b5.5 tdi. Blue in color. Love the car but the auto took a dump. Not giving up on her as a manual tranny is about to go in her very soon.
Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
How do you like the duece? Always wanted to drive one....
Popped my diesel/tdi cherry 2 weeks ago with a 2016 Touareg tdi. I have only ever driven diesels in the Army (duece and halfs, hmmwv, Mraps, etc). I also have a 1991 Syncro westy that is getting a 1.9 bsw swap in the fall. Looking forward to absorbing all the knowledge here.
Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

race777

TDI
2008 vw jetta tdi
New to forum

Recently bought a 2008 vw jetta tdi, been searching and reading the forum, lots of information, thanks to those who have contributed. Sam

CladNKaos

TDI
VW Jetta 2010
Hello, everyone!
I just purchased a 2010 Jetta TDI approximately 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately, you guys are about to be hearing a lot from me as I attempt to remedy all of the issues and concerns I currently have with it. Otherwise, it's a fun ride and I'm looking forward to some of the work as a hobby of sorts.

Thanks to all of you in advance for the help I know you will be or already have been in simply reviewing your problems! xD

Thorpe

TDI
2005 Passat
2005 Passat (major issues)

Hi.....New to the forum, and sadly I was just told by mechanic that the oil pump chain has come apart in the engine. Not sure what to do now or even if this can be fixed. Any suggestions please. My concern is even if it can be fixed could there be damage that is unseen in engine and be a waste of money if I do address and fix. Or is new engine definitely needed. Please help.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Hi.....New to the forum, and sadly I was just told by mechanic that the oil pump chain has come apart in the engine. Not sure what to do now or even if this can be fixed. Any suggestions please. My concern is even if it can be fixed could there be damage that is unseen in engine and be a waste of money if I do address and fix. Or is new engine definitely needed. Please help.
Do a search for Balance Shaft Module. Depending on how long it ran without oil pressure, at a minimum it will need to have the BSM deleted or replaced with a geared unit. Check out the B5.5 Forums HERE.

Last edited:

partsman

North of the Cheddar Curtain(Wisconsin :) )
TDI
04 Passat GLS
Hello from South East Wisconsin, USA

Erick, AKA Partsman(parts for short). Have sold parts for a very well known parts supplier for almost 26 years,been in the business since I was a young man! lol

My 04 Passat TDI GLS has been Very good to me,except for the trans going out for the 3rd time last month. But it's only 2 really, because they didn't rebuild the torque converter correctly the 2nd time.

BSM Delete in 2013. Over 100K miles on it. Very Happy!!! Thank You Mr. Addison for all of your help. RIP my friend!!

I have driven 160,374 miles in it since 02/18/2012. Loved almost every mile!!

Anyway, That's all for now:D

h1h0silver

TDI
2003 Jetta
Hello everyone!

I am a US based lifelong diesel fanatic. I bought a 2003 Jetta TDI at a fairly decent price with 158,000 miles. Luckily has not been a money pit, but it did need some TLC. Injection pump had the gaskets replaced in the injection quantifier(?), and was calibrated to 3.2 on VCDS. New vacuum hoses and fuel return hoses, new MAF, N75 and a/c clutch field, MANN air and oil filters, new fuel/ water sep., cleaned intake, changed trans oil with VAG oil from dealership ( when I picked up the Castrol stuff the dealerships use), and some good Michelin Defender T+H tires.

All in all, I got the cruise control working, the a/c cold, restored to a steady 50mpg ( I drive 150mi round trip to work every day) and I couldn't be happier.

Hope to not only find help, but also contribute as well. I have a lot of experience in diesels, and take pride in doing stuff right the first time.

To me, though the ALH is wayyyy wayyy more advanced, it is similar to the DI Kubota and a Dihatsu ( on a tractor and commercial mower I own) in terms of the "basics" of diesel maintenance and troubleshooting. So, from an early age, I learned how to NOT do a lot of things specific to diesels.

Thanks everyone!

Zoomie00

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Good morning!

I'm a new owner of an 06 Jetta TDI. Couple of things that need attention, EGR delete without associated computer delete and an airbag light on. After reading here I'm confident I can tackle these!

Veteran of several boards such as this, but my first diesel and really first small vehicle overall.

HakkenSlash

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Good morning, Eveyone.

Last Saturday, I purchased a 2015 Golf TDI Sporwagen off the lot and it only had 10,865 miles.

It's an SE TDI, and has the DSG gearbox.

Within three days, I'd put the Malone stage 2 on it (Turns out the Mk VII's don't need the DSG flash!) and tweaked VCDS to get the gauge sweep as well as the windows convenience features.

The county I live in is pretty strict about emissions, and this one is a post-dieselgate auto anyhow so I should be alright in that department.

Looking forward to messing around with this car, as I'm going to stiffen up the suspension and reinforce the body until I can go bombing around corners at a rate that should add some more grey to my hair.

Cheers, and look forward to a long and entertaining stay here.

-HakkenSlash

RX8TDI

TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI
Hello!

The whole thing is worth the read, and I’m sorry if it’s not!

I am 19 and I have a 2001 Jetta TDI and was introduced to fuel mileage and range last September, I went to this after daily driving a 500 whp Honda Civic, that I built before I got my license, on E85 and getting 14 mpg on an 11 gallon tank. On a reallly good tank I could get a little over 200 miles on a tank... rarely.... So I love the range of the TDI cars!!!!! I put larger tires on the front to bring back the rpms for cruising 79 mph, the best mileage I’ve gotten with speedo correction due to the tires is about 45ish mpg. Over 600 miles on a tank. It was awesome.

I have been in the diesel industry since I was in elementary school, our neighbors and family friend have a Duramax pulling truck that I always helped work on. I went to my first big pull with them in 2nd grade in Indianapolis and from then on I always wanted to be a part of it. The trucks name is Cummins Killer and is now on the 3rd version since I have been around and competes in the Super Stock Diesel Class and making around 3,000 horsepower with a single 5.250” turbocharger. Through this sport I met so many people and made so many connections and that is how I got my job while I go to school.

During high school I built my 500 whp Honda Civic and bracket drag raced it, my best pass was 11.29@130 mph in the 1/4. I also built a 1986 Mazda RX-7 turbo 4.8 LS swap. I have been fighting little issues here and there. Been to the track a few times with it, my best pass so far was 10.43@132 mph, and there’s lots of room to grow once I get tuning figured out.

I go to school for mechanical engineering at Kettering University in Flint, MI. We go to school for 3 months then engineering related work for 3 months, off and on like that for 4.5 years.

During my work term I work for a diesel performance company, whose name I will leave out for now anyways. We focus on common rail diesel fuel systems and engine calibration for high horsepower diesels. Dragsters, off shore racing boats, trophy trucks, drag racing semis, pulling trucks and every thing in-between.

While at work I have extra money so I’m always looking around on Craigslist, I found an RX-8 that supposedly ran for $700, I was like alright. Even if it doesn’t it’s a good shell for a swap. Of course the rotary was trash. Now I was looking for a good swap for it. I was minutes from just going to buy a turbo ls to slap in it, but I already had done that and it was too easy, mainstream, and basic. Not to discredit it!!!!!!!!! It still take a lot of work and I couldn’t have done it without my dad’s help. But I wanted something unique.

There just so happened to be a 2010 2.0 TDI engine from a Jetta with 140,000 miles on it for sale with everything for $600. I was sold. It was definitely different. I figured I work for a diesel company, I should have a performance diesel car.

I have set lofty goals, it used to be 250-300 horsepower. But my goal is now 300-500 horsepower.

Engine build so far.....

Block Line honed
Bores honed
Rings Gapped.. top 0.024” and second 0.035” better a little big than a little tight.
ARP main studs from Nissan L20 engine
ARP head studs from a 6.7l 24 valve Cummins with the top of the stud shaved down around 0.5” to miss the cams, I used the factory washers, not the ARP washers
Integrated Engineering Tuscan Rods with ARP hardware
Stock cams
Stock springs
Stock head

Engine management......
After long debate with myself and searching. It seemed very difficult to tune a stock TDI ecu yourself. I want to do a full engine dyno tune at work... after some digging I think I can get my hands on a Bosch MS 15 Sport Stand-alone ECU to get around the tuning struggles. This led to other issues though, the stock injectors are Piezo.... ugh.... I now needed to find solenoid injectors to take the place of them. As it so turns out, we have been playing with the new Duramax L5P injectors a bit. And I got lucky enough that it was able to fit right in the VW head with a small amount of milling! I was ecstatic to see this work out.

Fuel System......

Injectors: Modified L5P Duramax injectors
High Pressure Fuel Pump: 5.9l Cummins CP3 pump fits with a lot of grinding!!! I was so stoked to find this out because that is a pump we know well and I didn’t want to have to buy a kit and a funky smaller CP3.

Turbos....
I’m going to build my own compound turbo kit, most likely going with a slightly bigger than stock size high pressure turbo, the buy a 64xx don’t remember exactly what.. from a coworker as a low pressure turbo to feed the high pressure turbo. Might be a touch big, but we will see.

Transmission.....
I plan to attempt to build my own adapter plate to mount it up to a T56 transmission. I might end up just buying one though if it works out that way.

I still have a lot to work out and questions to ask and get answered. To name a few...

Is there a place to post build threads on here????

How is that alternator controlled? Can it be made 1 wire or should I just send a PWM signal to it related to voltage or RPM?

How is the pressed on reluctor wheel thingy supposed to go on? I got a new one with my rear main seal and I’m unsure of the orientation of it? There’s a chance I will be getting rid of it and going with a 60 minus 2 tone wheel for the standalone. But I would still like to know.

Is there any kind of Cam position sensor on it?

Does the engine sit at any kind of an angle when it’s in the factory position in a Jetta?

Does anyone have some oil squirters? I’m an idiot and broke a couple when pitting pistons in, the rods hit them......

I hope that wasn’t too much for you guys.

If you read the whole thing, thank you so much!!!

Make Diesel Great Again!!!!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Go here for a list of forums- http://forums.tdiclub.com/
This is an "Introduce yourself" thread so it may not be seen by the folks with answers.
I would recommend the how it works thread and some basic research on how these cars work. They are fairly simple, but different. I see you have many modifications, so guessing you have more than a clue.

Once you have some specific questions you may want to post them here (or?)- http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Welcome to TDI Club!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

redhuskers

TDI
passat sel
Just bought a 2015 TDI SEL

Hey guys, I just bought a 2015 Passat TDI SEL but was sent the title and it says it is a salvage title. It only had 6700 miles on it. The only thing I signed was the buyback form that said the vehicle was a buyback. Would that make it a salvage title? I can't find anything online. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

gayle

TDI
2003 vw golf gls tdi
new and need help with my 2003 tdi 1.9 golf gls 5 speed

i I am new and a bit lost on this site, I have a 2003 tdi 1.9 golf gl I have failed smog due to the fact the check engine light does not come on at all, the car runs great no issues also i do not see the the glow plug light either.
I live in Ventura,CA
I was told to go to the dealer and take all my keys and have a new cluster installed and they will match the keys to the cluster.

the car run great just can not pass a smog as if the check engine light does not come on when the key is turned it is an automated fail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
i I am new and a bit lost on this site, I have a 2003 tdi 1.9 golf gl I have failed smog due to the fact the check engine light does not come on at all, the car runs great no issues also i do not see the the glow plug light either.
I live in Ventura,CA
I was told to go to the dealer and take all my keys and have a new cluster installed and they will match the keys to the cluster.

the car run great just can not pass a smog as if the check engine light does not come on when the key is turned it is an automated fail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to TDI Club!
That sounds a bit drastic. Try this forum for answers-
VW MKIV-A4 TDIs

And here is a nicer search engine, user contributed-
VW TDI Search Engine
Could be someone disabled it to sell the car.

seansco

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
2002 Jetta TDI

Looking for fixes for my AC issues. Found this web site! Lot of good info

deathtrap

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 1992 Golf GL = Future ALH candidate
Hi guys. New here. Will be starting my first swap--ALH into MK2 Golf in the Fall. I plan to do a neat job and take my time and enjoy a mk4 TDI jetta as my daily.

Will start a build thread once I'm ready so I'm counting on all the gurus to chime in once I begin!

Rchrisman13

TDI
2004 vw beetle 1.9tdi 5spd
bought a 2004 beetle 5spd 1.9 tdi. new here from south texas. im not however new to the diesel world as I own 7 other vehicles with cummins in them and 1 with a fiat diesel.

I have a long list of questions and would like to know where the best place to post them is? they are just general questions for the time being.

chrstian2170

TDI
2015 VW TDI SportsWagan S
New 2015 TDI

Hey everyone I got my 2016 VW TDI Sportswagen Thursday. I can't believe the mileage. I'm getting 55 to 57 MPG. It almost seems like it's impossible. Is everyone else getting the same thing? This is my first diesel.

Thanks