P0226 Throttle Pedal code went away and was replaced with a glow plug code. Fixed.

thordehr

TDI
2003 Jetta
I finally got rid of my check engine light that's been bugging me. It used to read as a throttle pedal code P0226 but it ran fine with good pedal response. I started to think that it was a bad computer throwing a code when it performed a faulty check. Made me put off taking it to the dealer because I really didn't want them touching it.

When I checked it again recently that code was gone but had a glow plug code. Sure enough one of the glow plugs ohmed out at 95 ohms. I ordered a set of four from IDParts.com. I got the bulk unpackaged Beru plugs for a deal. I had squirted the glowplugs with PBblaster 4 times over the week before trying to remove them.

Today I came home and found the plugs waiting in my mailbox. Went out, sprayed the plugs one more time and gathered a 10MM 1/4drive deepwell, extension and mini breaker bar. They all broke free without any problem. I was worried about this from the horror stories I've heard about plugs breaking between the threads and the hex, being swollen inside the cylinder and refusing to come out.

Here's the glow plugs that came out. They were Beru as well. I was told there's no difference between Bosch or Beru except price.

This is after they were wiped down. The one that ohmed out was slightly blacker than the others. The good three have a lighter, slightly powdery looking crescent/teardrop shaped heat mark near the tip which must be where the hottest area is.

I reassembled with a light coating of anti-seize on the threads and using the manual, torqued to 11ft/lbs 15Nm. Pushed the glow plug harness back on, erased the codes and started it up.

No check engine light, no codes after a LONG time the dash is dark. Mighty happy about this.