First Maintenance and Tinkering (Yawn...)

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Changed the oil today after passing the 5K miles mark on the odometer. (Yeah, I know the book says 10K. I'll go to 10K intervals after 10K.) Typical easy TDI oil change. 4L out with the Pela 6000, 4L of Mobil 1 ESP in.

What's up with the position of the oil filter though? A bit of a pain compared to my past TDIs. Interestingly the car has not used a drop of oil since new. Pretty amazing for a new engine.

I'll be letting the dealer do the "free" oil changes.

Also disabled the seat belt nag and enabled the key fob controlled windows using VCDS. Very nice!

The car has been flawless so far.

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
I will be in your area (Frederick) over the coming weekend, is there a chance we could meet up for "enabling the key fob controlled windows using VCDS"?

I would LOVE to activate this feature, but most definitely need help to do so. ... my local dealer is not interested in "non standard" mods ... :(

TDI Believer

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
herbert68 said:
I will be in your area (Frederick) over the coming weekend, is there a chance we could meet up for "enabling the key fob controlled windows using VCDS"?

I would LOVE to activate this feature, but most definitely need help to do so. ... my local dealer is not interested in "non standard" mods ... :(
Glad to help. Sent you a private message.

nj1266

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
How many pumps does it take the Pela 6000 to extract all the oil from the pan? How much time does it take? I am thinking of getting one. Do you recommend it?

TDI Believer

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
nj1266 said:
How many pumps does it take the Pela 6000 to extract all the oil from the pan? How much time does it take? I am thinking of getting one. Do you recommend it?
I pump the Pela 20 times. That's enough to empty the crankcase. It takes about 10 minutes. I also use the Pela to remove oil from the filter canister and oil cooler.

I notice on the CJAA engine that I can't get as far down into the oil cooler as I could with previous TDIs.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
TDI Believer said:
I pump the Pela 20 times. That's enough to empty the crankcase. It takes about 10 minutes. I also use the Pela to remove oil from the filter canister and oil cooler.

I notice on the CJAA engine that I can't get as far down into the oil cooler as I could with previous TDIs.
I am telling DBW on you...........1st you change the oil early then you use a pela instead of getting underneath........Rich,Rich,Rich.........;)

TDI Believer

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
tomo366 said:
I am telling DBW on you...........1st you change the oil early then you use a pela instead of getting underneath........Rich,Rich,Rich.........;)
DBW doesn't like the Pela? It's the greatest invention since bottled beer!

BTW: I wonder what Castrol paid to have their Ad molded into the oil filler cap on VWs. Shameless!

No doubt my pretty new wagon will explode since I sucked out the factory fill early using a Pela and used M1 ESP instead of Castrol. :cool:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
DBW is a strong avocate of getting under the car and dropping the pan and looking around under there! so am I ;)

Mine has 9800 and is going in for a factory change soon........I will request to be in the shop with them.........:)

TDI Believer said:
DBW doesn't like the Pela? It's the greatest invention since bottled beer!

BTW: I wonder what Castrol paid to have their Ad molded into the oil filler cap on VWs. Shameless!

No doubt my pretty new wagon will explode since I sucked out the factory fill early using a Pela and used M1 ESP instead of Castrol. :cool: