Roll call for Colorado

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
audibahn said:
Hey everyone. New to diesels and new to this forum. Live in Lakewood and work in Boulder. Car is still stock and I'm using my vagcom to get a baseline of the current setup before I start modding. So many choices out there...
VagCom is a great tool to start with...Still thinking about making that plunge.

Gordon_Shumway

TDI
2003 jetta
Welcome Blow'nSmoke,

I live off of Deer Creek and drive by Tiny Town every night on the way home from work (currently in Evergreen).

PM me some time and we can meet.

Mike

tehillah1

TDI
Jetta, 1999, Green
Thanks for welcome Mike. I live up in Indian Hills...Idledale before that and have worked up the road from Fender's Junction for over 25 years now...go figure. I'll pm you some time and we can get coffee...eh?

hybridvigor

TDI
99 Jetta, 02 Jetta
New Here

I live in Silt, CO
99 Jetta 337000 miles and looking for a new owner.
02 Jetta 147000 miles gets worse milage than the 99. Time for some upgrades.
GREAT info here, Thanks!

moretwyst

TDI
o8sportwagon on order2.passatt wagon,5.9 ram 07 GTI fahrenheit
I need help. Received my 09 sportwagon after 14 months and only 1050 miles it's in dealers shop. They tell me petro in the diesel fuel. They are sending it in for testing. They say it's a $10,000 fix. I am besides myself. Is this a bad dream ? I have the same fuel in a Dodge Ram a Hino and an 05 Passet just sold.

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
hybridvigor said:
I live in Silt, CO
99 Jetta 337000 miles and looking for a new owner
02 Jetta 147000 miles gets worse milage than the 99. Time for some upgrades.
GREAT info here, Thanks!
i recommend a $50 qt of BG 244 fuel system cleaner. My power and mileage are returning after two tanks.

silvergrowler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI
sidetrack here, but...

a-shifter. Did you ever get a fmic from emt? Now that it looks like they are not making any (which I figured something would happen like that) what did you decide to do? Blew the turbo today so trying to decide between the vnt 17 or 17/22 for a 02 auto golf, but I know I want a fmic, but don't really see much out there for ready to go kits, Any local shops fab them?

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
silvergrowler said:
sidetrack here, but...

a-shifter. Did you ever get a fmic from emt? Now that it looks like they are not making any (which I figured something would happen like that) what did you decide to do? Blew the turbo today so trying to decide between the vnt 17 or 17/22 for a 02 auto golf, but I know I want a fmic, but don't really see much out there for ready to go kits, Any local shops fab them?
Nah, I would have pre-ordered one if he'd ever gotten around to shipping a plate support, but there was still the question of whether or not it would fit with a Panzer. Too late now, I guess. I'm not aware of anyone else who does one of these, but keep me posted if you find one.

If I had it to do it over I would definitely spend the money and get a 17/22 or bigger. If you're thinking FMIC, go big. Lemme know what you do!

silvergrowler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI
For the FMIC, peak eurosport said they could do it, never dealt with them though so Might just be stuck getting the eurojet setup.

You have 5spd right?

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
silvergrowler said:
For the FMIC, peak eurosport said they could do it, never dealt with them though so Might just be stuck getting the eurojet setup.

You have 5spd right?
Yeh, just made the manual swap last spring...Let me know if you find out anything about the FMIC from Peak... Eurojet's awfully 'spensive for a little guy...
Let's grab a beer and compare notes one o these times.

silvergrowler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI
Yea. I will hit you up with some info when I find out. Trust me, I am just shy of 3k right now in work so I'm hurting haha. Went with the 17 since I am staying auto and it was on sale.

Greg@RME

TDI
2009 Jetta
Checking in from Fruita, CO! I have a 2000 Jetta TDI with 215k on it.

Hate to ask, but anyone around Grand Junction with Vagcom? My CEL recently tripped, need to see what's up.

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
silvergrowler said:
Yea. I will hit you up with some info when I find out. Trust me, I am just shy of 3k right now in work so I'm hurting haha. Went with the 17 since I am staying auto and it was on sale.
You'll be happy with the '17.:cool:

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
For all the TDIs I see rolling around Colorado, there should be a lot more discussion here. :confused:
I'd love to see a Rocky Mtn GTG in 2010. I'd be willing to put forth a significant amount of time and effort...Suggestions? Recommendations? Admonitions?

alan_f

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2005.5 Jetta
A_Shifter said:
For all the TDIs I see rolling around Colorado, there should be a lot more discussion here. :confused:
I'd love to see a Rocky Mtn GTG in 2010. I'd be willing to put forth a significant amount of time and effort...Suggestions? Recommendations? Admonitions?
I'd love to see something in the Denver-Metro area. I'd be interested in a drive as well as time to meet and chat with other TDI owners. Maybe someone who has a shop would like to show us a few things, anything from how to scan your car to how to check your cams for premature wear...

I'm sure I could get a couple of my friends to tag along as well.

I hadn't suggested anything because I just don't have the time to commit to organizing anything -- but if you're volunteering...

-Alan

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
alan_f said:
I'd love to see something in the Denver-Metro area. I'd be interested in a drive as well as time to meet and chat with other TDI owners.
I'm down. Let's get this thread going. :D
alan_f said:
Maybe someone who has a shop would like to show us a few things, anything from how to scan your car to how to check your cams for premature wear...
We have our share of trusted TDI folks around here. SCarroll & A_Nut just to name a couple right off the top of my head.
alan_f said:
...but if you're volunteering...
With some more interest and input, I'll happily volunteer time and effort. Maybe even my deck/beer fridge/garage.

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
Mike checking in.
Love the Golf I bought several years ago, though I don't drive it much.
I live so close to work that doing anything other than biking would be just silly, besides, short-tripping a TDI isn't advised (that's what the Geo is for). I can assist with VAGCOM scans.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
A_Shifter said:
Dubs Along the Rockies is one of the largest VW shows/meets in the U.S.

Held every year in Colorado Springs.;)

Rockwater

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, manual
New 2010 JSW owner checking in here from Denver. A little off topic but can someone local suggest a station for premium diesel? Approaching the end of my first tank from dealer and would like to begin refueling with some of the good stuff. Seems like there are a bunch of TDI owners along the Front Range. Cheers!

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
milehighassassin said:
Dubs Along the Rockies is one of the largest VW shows/meets in the U.S.

Held every year in Colorado Springs.;)
I'll look for the promotion next year...and I'll make sure it shows up HERE. :rolleyes:

DrFaustus

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Rockwater - Nearly all the diesel in the area comes from the same refinery. Just stick to any of the major brands, as well as to a station that does brisk business. You don't want to get stuck with summer formulation when the temp drops, or the fuel may not flow well. That is especially important during season changes, like right now.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
DrFaustus said:
Rockwater - Nearly all the diesel in the area comes from the same refinery. Just stick to any of the major brands, as well as to a station that does brisk business. You don't want to get stuck with summer formulation when the temp drops, or the fuel may not flow well. That is especially important during season changes, like right now.
While that is true, the same is also true about motor oils. What makes the difference? The additive package. Each major brand mixes in their own additives.

I can say I have had good luck pretty much everywhere, at least at all the major brands. I usually use Shell. I get fuel at Western Convenience when possible and also have had no problems with Safeway.

I avoid stations that look bad. I know that doesn't tell the entire story, but if they can't take care of their pumps, are they changing their filters? Where else are they skimping?

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
I've never had any issues with pump diesel in CO. I mostly get Conoco or Shamrock. It's just crappy fuel, so I always mix it with biodiesel for cetane and lubricity.