2001 Golf Timing belt question re: 100K belt kit

brandtmeister

TDI
Golf TDI , 2001, silver
Hi all,
haven't posted/scanned through for a while and i'm sure this has been covered before, but maybe you are willing to give some tips.

I'm due to the 60K service (900 miles to go), which arggh, inlcudes the darn timing belt. Just talked to the dealership to make an appointment, but when I requested to get the 100K belt/rollers/tensioner they plainly refused to do that:confused: :eek: :confused: , they just want to do the 60K belt replacement. Is there anythign I can do about this/any official VW information I can show them that says, yes it's ok to do this?

tried to call the VW USA sevice guys, but they were just as useless (we don't have technical information...you need ot talk to your dealership). I'll check next week with the Santa Fe dealership (1-1.5hr drive, which sucks with having only one car....), but I think I had read in some previous posts that some delaerships are easier to work with and this is not the first time I had a problem with the ABQ university place.

I'll also check one of the local car places one of the vagcom folks recommended (got my own by now).

specs: 2001 golf TDI, 59124 miles (this morning).

thanks for your help!
Carsten

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Ummm, Carsten, why are you taking your car to the "dealer" for a TB changeout? Why don't we start there.

Also, check the actual production date of your 2001 car....some have an 80k belt installed.

brandtmeister

TDI
Golf TDI , 2001, silver
cool, thanks - do you know where i can find the cutoff date between 60vs. 80K miles? (or is there an easy way to check it on the belt without taking half the car apart :)

(besides some little things this is a bit above my head and haven't found any technically inclined TDI folks over here in New Mexico that could give me hand...). I'll need ot dig through my emails at home, but one guy who went to UNM (i think) recommedended a local shop, so i'll probably try to check them out as well.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Can you take a ride to see Harvieux in Los Angeles area? There might be someone in Denver, I can't recall...I hope somebody else will share thoughts about people you might turn to in your area.

I think the production date is printed on a label on the B pillar. Have a look. The 2001.5 cars and later have the uprated belt. you can also snap the TB cover off and have a look. Take a picture if you don't know what you're looking for/at. OK?

brandtmeister

TDI
Golf TDI , 2001, silver
i'll take a look at the date when i get home, - if I have to check the the TB, probably sunday as i have to be out of town tomrorow/sat and won't get home for another ~2 hours today.

no way I can get out of state in the next few weeks...going crazy with work and my wife's school is moving to a new building in 2 weeks...:)

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
On the timing belt cover there's a number for the engine...

If it's ALH 500,001 or higher, you've got the 80,000 mile belt system...

Please read over the timing belt replacement procedure - especially with regard to what must be replaced and what the torque values are:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf Then you can ask appropriate questions of the potential mechanic...

As for parts:
http://www.dieselgeek.com/Detail.bok?no=349 www.worldimpex.com and www.metalmanparts.com have parts kits with the correct items - I'm talking DeLuxe kits that are rated at 100,000 miles. If you can't get a complete parts list (watch for the suffixes on the parts!!!) from one of them, try the Canadian supplier: http://www.roselandtech.ca/VWPartsA4.htm If the repair place won't let you bring your own parts, at least insist on them replacing all the parts listed...

Sorry we don't have any Gurus close to you... Steve Carroll is outside Denver...

All the best,

Yuri.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
If your TB looks like the one on the left, it's good until 80k miles on your 2001 Golf.

If it looks like the one on the right, then it's rated for only 60k miles.

credits to runonbeer, as usual.