another fuel economy question

arjax

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 allroad TDI BHW swap 6spd code GLX, 2014 Q5 3.0L TDI
Purchased this '11 A3 back in March and since then the MPG has gone from 36mpg down to 31-32mpg combined driving (probably 50/50 highway city mileage). Just took a 450 mile round trip to Tampa Bay with 80% highway averaging probably 73mph and we ended up at 33.8mpg (pen and paper method). Over the past couple of months I have been doing all the low hanging fruit items like fuel filter, air filter, diesel kleen, changed oil and changed the DSG fluid. Nothing seems to be helping and as I mentioned MPG has gotten worse. I have also check the brakes and the pads had even ware and didn't show any signs of sticking. This past trip has left me feeling a bit frustrated as to what the issue is. The car has just turned the 60K mark.

Besides the poorer than expected MPG the car has been great and my wife and I really love it. Any ideas where to look next? I do have a VAGCOM and no codes are present.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
i dont know how realistic this answer is but im curious to know the effects of running the AC higher has on the cars.

I know i used to average more of a 37-38 when i first got it, and had some long nonstop trips in the 40-41 range, but those days are gone. i dont complain too much but i know this summer has been a brutal one and im getting more of a 34-36 range now. its really frustrating because my buddy in the same city is supposedly getting 500-550miles per fill. and im struggling to get over 450 before the light turns on. im currently sitting on 103k miles and have had replace my ac compressor (which i swear was when i lost the 1-2mpg i used to have)

I hope you figure it out, id be curious to know how youve been using your AC this summer. ive recently gotten my windows tinted in hopes to dial it back, but houston is just a giant concrete hot box.

Edit: Im assuming your tires are filled with the right amount of air?

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
What airpressure are you running? The recommended pressure IRRC is 41psi in front, and 38psi in the rear by Audi. My average is right at the EPA estimates, I would like better results, but I cannot really complain. Just keep wishing the A3 had a manual option, or Audi/VW geared the DSG better

Other than that...My results are on fuelly (pen/paper method so to say), when around town I'm typically 35-37 for a tank average, when I head out on trips I can get averages in the 40 for the tank (rare to get above 42 for tank average). Once the weather cools off some, I always notice better mpg as less full blast use of the a/c.

Last edited:

arjax

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 allroad TDI BHW swap 6spd code GLX, 2014 Q5 3.0L TDI
I think I am running around 45psi in the tires