2005 Jetta TDI/Triptronic Trans service info

munderhill

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI (Wifes)
I have to service trans on our Jetta. Have owned the car since new and with 192K trans is starting to act up when cold. Tends to stick in 1st gear if not warmed up yet (early morning). Once warm car drives perfect.

Can this be cured with a fluid change? Or is it just low? Was told they are a sealed unit and never needs servicing, I find that hard to believe. I have found a couple utube videos showing the 4 speed regular trans in gas jettas being serviced but nothing on the 5 speed triptronic.

Any help / advise on the subject is appreciated.

MU

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
At the mileage you have it is likely the valve body is worn. Your symptom of not shifting out of first when cold is the giveaway. You can try changing the fluid and see what happens. Please realize you probably have a new transmission in your future wether it's rebuilding yours, buying a new unit or swapping in a manual. All have been discussed in many threads. Feel free to use the search function to read over your options.

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI/DSG; 05 Jetta Wagon auto (retired)
Change the fluid, and if the problem persists search "09A solenoid kit". It's about $300 and usually resolves the 09A shifting issues.

Jake

munderhill

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm taking the car tomorrow to shop where they will change fluid.
Not cheap but way cheaper than a trans. They advised same as here that most likely it will fix issue.
They use a system that pumps the new fluid in while removing old. This sound familiar to anyone here.
Very reputable shop for VW in Manchester ct. Been using them for years with my diesels.

Going to have them do my 02 gasser after the diesel.

MU

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Solenoids and splice in a new temp sensor. Or just replace the valve body (that comes with all the solenoids).

Assuming we are talking about a BEW car with a Jatco slushbox.

munderhill

Veteran Member
TDI
Not exactly sure but yes the bew 1.9 pumpe dues engine and 5 speed triptronic trans. It's an excellent trans, at least has been up to the 193 k we have on it now.
Hopefully the oil flush will cure the problem for now.

MU

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I had the same sticking problem when the ambient temperature is below freezing, but I have not noticed it lately; may not be cold enough yet. I did change the ATF with Mobil 1 and added a few extra ounces over what I removed, and that seems to have helped. This morning the temperature on my UG read 26F, but there was no sticking 4-5 upshift. I will keep this updated. My VCDS did not show any DTC's in the TCU.

Last edited:

shuswap

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI BEW auto
Solenoids and splice in a new temp sensor. Or just replace the valve body (that comes with all the solenoids).

Assuming we are talking about a BEW car with a Jatco slushbox.
Oilhammer, can you advise what fluid to use for a partial fluid change on the 2005 Golf BEW with a Jatco 09A? I'm at 181k miles and have zero issues so far.
Thanks!

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
25F this morning and no delayed up shift from four to five. Two years ago this delay was a common occurance on the initial drive.

drywaller

Veteran Member
TDI
VDUBS
I second (or third) the solenoid replacement. You can get them from cobra transmission. I did mine early last year (?)
Only took me about three hours or so. Was very easy to do. Hardest part was getting my big paws in the tight space. Aside from that twas a very easy job.

munderhill

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you all for the input.
Post change/flush car shifts better. No hanging whatsoever, so far anyway. Not all that cold either though. supposed to get cold tonigh though so will see.

MU

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
I'd be surprised if a fluid change was a permanent fix. Many posts on the "won't shift when cold" were put to rest with changing the solenoids... including me at 276,000 miles. It's not technically difficult to do just time consuming.

IWUScott

TDI
2005 Jetta
I'm pretty much a novice VW repair man (though I have swapped trannys and replaced head gaskets on other vehicles), but this sounds like a flush, to me. My dad always suggested drain and fill only. Flushing can loosen built up crud which can clog valves.....sooner, rather than later.

Heliwrench

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sedan
Just chiming it so say the 2004 I just bought with tiptronic currently has 258,00 kms and was 'flushed' every 100km by the PO. works great at the moment.