P2015 intake manifold flap fix how-to

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
Intermediate gear?

Our 2012 JSW TDI has been flawless for the last 11k miles, bought used in 8/2019 at 132k. Yesterday the MIL came on, scanned w/ VCDS, had P2015 code. Googling somehow turned up this video in German, which clearly shows the inside of the V157 motor.
https://youtu.be/7DvGZDDzPxY?t=273

I thought it would be a good idea to open up the motor to blow the dust out of it and verify its' internal stop is undamaged. That went well, but I now realize the intermediate gear spins in front of a sensor. Does anybody know if the clocking of the intermediate gear matters, or if it's just an RPM sensor to verify to the ECU that the motor is spinning?

Edit: Went ahead and reassembled clean V157 motor with intermediate gear in random position. Fabbed a stopper for arm using a 1/4" shaft collar & stubby screw. Tested with VCDS, worked fine laying on the engine. Installed V157, test ran & restarted engine several times, voltage stays at .760V target when sitting on stop.

To answer my own question: It doesn't seem to matter where the intermediate gear is installed. It just needs to read the RPM of the gear.

When my craptastic spacer fails, I'll be ordering the fix kit from Dieselgeek.

Last edited:

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
Yay! My turn with the p2015 code! Just a tick over 140k (50k of which are mine), so I suppose it's time.

Will be ordering from dieselgeek today!

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I've installed my dieselgeek hard stop device and now it seems as tho the rpms on the car surge a bit like the flap is trying to find a happy spot and can't. This happens while driving in low rpms. Anyone else experience this?

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
The best idea is to start a conversation via email with us so we can send you the troubleshooting email. We ask for a good clear picture of the installed part and any other codes you might/may be seeing before or after the install. Don't respond here but to our email address as we do not regularly monitor this thread.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Have not ran VCDS but check engine light was gone the morning after the install.

Jim - ill see if I can get you a picture. Thanks!