Breeze on shifter hand when turning 2012 Jetta tdi

latitude98

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, Manual
When I make turns in my 2012 Jetta tdi manual, i occasionally feel a cold breeze on my shifter hand. i know it's not coming out of the air vents because i have hot air blowing; it being the winter time and all. Does anyone else have this problem? It feels like it comes through the area where the shifter comes out of.

latitude98

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, Manual
Bump. No ideas from anybody.... I had a 2010 Subaru wrx and never had this problem. A cold draft on my shifter hand when turning. Not coming from the vents but feels like it's coming from the area that the actual shift stick comes out of. I can't visible see any holes in the plastic or pleather wrap. Maybe a seal problem or thats just the way vw's are. I guess I'll be bringing it up to the dealer once I get my bluetooth module fixed.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
My '96 and '97 Passats had a somewhat related issue: The air flow out of the dash vents and floor vents would cool on right turns and would warm on left.
Weird, eh?
Off ramps were cooler than driving straight and it wasn't related to road speed, because rotaries would produce a warmer air flow than the same speed on the straight leading to and from it.
Keep turning left by going 'round and 'round and it would remain as if the temperature knob were turned to a warmer temp. Empty parking lot right turning circles were as if the temp were turned cooler.

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6 speed manual Moonrock Silver
I notice cool air on my left hand from the door speaker, but not from around the shifter.

latitude98

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, Manual
Thanks for your thoughts. I contacted the dealer and they are going to take a look. Will post what they find if anything.

latitude98

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, Manual
Well of course the dealer couldn't replicate the problem. I guess I'll just deal with the nuisance. I hope it doesn't lead to a major problem later on.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Open up the center console and check the insulation around the shifter. It's possible that it's not installed correctly or there's a gap in it somewhere.

This won't cause long term damage.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The solution to your problem is to keep both hands on the wheel except when you are actually changing gears. The shifter is a terrible place to rest your hand - it causes shifter fork and gear wear and can lead to an early death of the transaxle.

Yes, yes, I know you are the only person in the entire universe that puts absolutely no stress or pressure of any kind on the shifter knob when you rest your hand there, but really, just play along and set a good example for others.