www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old July 20th, 2018, 11:56   #76
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I just did a 360k mile service on my favorite 2011 Jetta today. Also got its original front brakes replaced.
Old July 24th, 2018, 09:17   #77
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

I still drive mine. Seems to be consuming some oil between changes lately, though.

2003 Jetta GLS TDI with RocketChip RC5-ASV-Euro tune specific to my performance modifications - Platinum Gray

yo
rocketeer928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2018, 11:41   #78
weirdajs
Veteran Member

I am in the process of selling my 2004 NB TDI. At this time I don't have the money to fix all the issues with it. Currently going back to college for a degree in NSA/IT nor do I have time to fix them.
no gnis I trap eht s'ereH nognilK sa llew sa tpircSavaJ ni tneulf m'I no gnirb uoy ziuq aivirt yna eca ll'I gnop gnip fo emag a ni ttub ruoy kcik erus nac I gnos emeht etiruovaf ym si "syaD yppaH" nug gniredlos a tog I tub tag a tog t'nia I
weirdajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2018, 18:11   #79
loudspl
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 ASV
Fuel Economy: lolz

Still have mine and might be getting another.

A modded TDI was a rare sight before, but even more so now.
The sound alone makes people look and wonder. It's odd in a good way.
Where else can you get a small ICE car that will still be pulling past 160 and return 40+MPG when you drive sanely? Unobtainium.

My GTI is a much faster car, but to make it faster than the TDI and get the same MPG just can't happen.

I bought my TDI back in 02. The mod bug bit when I met Jon Hamilton and Jeff at Rocketchip at a GTG in Ohio. I've since been through several rebuilds, blown turbos from Street Toys, drove across the country multiple times, been stranded in snow and rain, and had many troubles and headaches with this car.
As much trouble as it has been, it has also made some very good memories along the way. I've also met some really good people on here over the years.
Coming up on 20 years for some of these TDIs. That's antique status in CT!

Not giving up TDIs anytime soon
02 Jetta, 17:1 CR 81mm ASV, block girdle, ported head, custom Colt cam, IE rods, TT springs, Peloquin LSD, Raxles, FueLab pump, 12mm/DE143, Gibonta 5 x 0.018, R32 MAF, NX progressive nitrous, 6+6 turbo, Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, BFI mounts
MKVII GTI 6MT, full build, 525hp daily driver. Soon Xona 8267

loudspl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2018, 07:12   #80
AndyBees
Veteran Member

My son has my 2000 Jetta (370k and recent TB job, expecting it to find 500k).

I purchased my brother's 03 Jetta and will be keeping it (Georgia car).

84 Vanagon ALH toy of mine will be around for years to come.

And, I have two ALH Jetta junkers for parts, both automatics purchased cheap.

Hey, I still have one of my 84 diesel Jetta's ...
Old August 19th, 2018, 08:49   #81
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 Volt
Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

Long gone and now, my visits to the dealer are maybe once a year instead of 1 to 2 times a month.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2018, 20:20   #82
gearheadgrrrl
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Other than the JSW, hard as I try, can't seem tio get below 40 MPH!
Default I only visit dealers for freebees...

Bought my ALH golf new in '03, it didn't see a dealers shop until VW paid to fix the rusted fenders in '14.
Old August 20th, 2018, 15:38   #83
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-15 towing hwy. 17-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadgrrrl View Post
Bought my ALH golf new in '03, it didn't see a dealers shop until VW paid to fix the rusted fenders in '14.
nice!
Old August 20th, 2018, 19:34   #84
gearheadgrrrl
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Other than the JSW, hard as I try, can't seem tio get below 40 MPH!

Unfortunately the newer TDIs are more addicted to the dealers. My 2013 JSW made it through the dealer done 10,20, and 30 thousand miles freebee services no problem. Then took it to a dealer in Ft.Myers FL for an alignment and the screwed it up even worse and tried to blame it on rust from being a "Minnesota car". They gave me a $1000+ estimate to fix the damage they'd done, I went after the frozen eccentric adjuster with penetrating oil until it came loose, then had an indie shop align it properly for $100. Did the 40k and 50k myself and turned it in. Replaced it with a new '15 Golf TDI, Mankato dealer overfilled the oil but accepted responsibility and paid for St.Louis dealer to fix, had no problems with their freebee 10k service.
Old August 28th, 2018, 10:52   #85
S2000_guy
Veteran Member

I had intended to keep my '14 JSW TDI until the bitter end of the buyback period (December '18). I intended to buy a new Buick Regal Sportback to replace it.

However, in mid-July President Trump's threats of tariffs on cars imported from Germany (the '18 Regals are assembled by Opel in Germany) scared me into accelerating my timetable. So I bought the Regal on July 16th. The first appointment to turn in the VW that I could get was August 8.

Turn-in appointment went smoothly; the money was in my account when I checked 7 days later. I'm just waiting on the check from Bosch to close the books on VW ownership.
S2000_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2018, 10:30   #86
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

What's your opinion of the Regal compared to the JSW?
Old September 3rd, 2018, 10:40   #87
S2000_guy
Veteran Member

31 mpg on premium in the Regal; 41 mpg on diesel (typically costs less than premium) in the Sportwagen, so the Regal costs more to operate. The Regal was more expensive to purchase. But I like everything else about the Regal better.

The Regal is roomier, quieter, and more comfortable than the TDI. The Sportback configuration meets my needs. In fact, I only considered cars with this configuration. In my price range it came down to the Regal and the Kia Stinger. If anyone is considering either car, I recommend that they test drive both.

In summary, I spend more on fuel with the Regal but otherwise I like the car better.
S2000_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2018, 08:07   #88
tomo366
TDI Lifer

I still have my Red 2015 Jetta SEL TDI Stick shift loaded.......it was ordered for me by Chris Farnham sadly he passed away a month after I picked it up......I don’t drive it much as it is
Now the Wife’s Daily Driver......It has 49K miles and has had the entire fix done.....Great Car! I drive my CPO 2014 BMW 328D and my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee love al of them!
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2018, 14:00   #89
cheezy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: NB-52.6, B4-37 city on 2 yo fuel!?

Just rotated the tires and bled the brakes on the '99 NB. Still runs like a little 5 spd slot car / go kart. ***H would I want a Buick for?
cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2018, 15:03   #90
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Jason, this one is now in your neighborhood.

With luck it won't need anything for a while, but when it does you're getting the call!