www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old August 12th, 2018, 02:25   #1
itsmejerry
Veteran Member
Default 2015 Passat Wrong fuel tank?

Okay.. Now I'm 100% convinced that in spite of what my owner's manual says, and in spite of what the literature for the 2015 Passat says about having an 18.5 Gallon fuel tank, Both of my Passats have 16.5 gallon tanks.

Although I've never gone past "5 miles until empty" on the readout before refueling, I've never been able to squeeze any more than 16.4 gallons into my 2015 Passat.

Sometime in the car's life I should have at least once or twice by now (80k on one Passat, and 6k on the other) been able to put 17-point something gallons in my car. I've never done that. Never

Anyone else experience this?

Is there a known campaign or fix by VW?

I'm about to take the car in to the dealer and get it looked at, but need to know if anyone else has had this issue.
itsmejerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2018, 03:53   #2
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

And what do you expect them to do about it?

The fuel tank that's in the car is the one that's meant to be there, because nothing else will fit that would have been available at the assembly plant to install (the Passat is manufactured in a completely different plant than any other VW, so it's not like someone could have made a mistake, even IF there is some other fuel tank that happens to fit in the car).

It may be wrong in the published specifications ... or there might be a fair bit left in it when the gauge says empty. (IF there is a problem with your car, I suspect it's the latter.)

Last edited by GoFaster; August 12th, 2018 at 03:56.
GoFaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2018, 05:23   #3
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Yeah, there should be a gallon or more in reserve when the mfd first says 0 miles range remaining.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2018, 05:41   #4
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

I would not recommend trying to find out by running it to empty - not a good way to treat fuel pumps.
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2018, 10:31   #5
Fixmy59bug

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

If you really insist on knowing for sure, you can pull the pump under the rear seat, drain the tank, add 5 gallons, drive to the nearest fuel station and see how much you have to add to top off.
Old August 12th, 2018, 11:13   #6
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmejerry View Post
Although I've never gone past "5 miles until empty" on the readout before refueling, I've never been able to squeeze any more than 16.4 gallons into my 2015 Passat..

Sorry to say only an i***t would drive to 5 miles to empty.
The tank is 70 liters or 18.4 gal US.

Most I ever put in is 14 gal US or 52 liters. That's down to about 1/4 tank left.

"E" does not stand for ENOUGH !!!
Old August 16th, 2018, 03:55   #7
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

You have the right tank. If I filled up around 30-40miles left it’ll be about 16.5 gallons. I have went 22 miles after my odometer said 0 miles left and it took 17.9 gallons. I never want to do it again.
Smashed Ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2018, 02:00   #8
itsmejerry
Veteran Member

I'll do some tests and let everyone know.

The issue is with BOTH of my Passats.

Interestingly enough, I was able to Vag-Com my wife's car to where it shows "gallons needed to fill". Tonight the display reads "15 miles till empty, and 11 gallons needed to fill", so, I'm guessing this gives more credibility to the "2 gallons of reserve" position.
itsmejerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2018, 15:59   #9
Fixmy59bug

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

This last weekend I drove (accidentally) to where my MFI read 20 miles to empty.

It took me 16.874 gallons and I filled it to the neck.

On previous models, once the "Low Fuel" light came on, there were 2.1 gallons left in the tank. The RED part on the gauge was the reserve.

MAYBE on the newer cars the reserve is used once the gauge actually reads empty.

We wont actually know until someone pulls their pump the moment the light comes on.