2015 TDI Tuning Options?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
European and North America motors and ECUs have many differences. Tuning boxes/piggy back systems do not work as advertised or compare to ECU tunes either, we have tested them and if it was that simple we'd have something on the market. Anyone can draw a dyno graph, it's rare we see a product perform as advertised on the dyno and the only one that has for a piggy back system was burger tuning's 1.8T JB1 box. Very impressive work from that crowd as usual. They work by falsifying data outputs to your ECU, so your safety features and limiters will not work as intended from factory. Why risk dealing with a foreign company that's unfamiliar with your vehicle when you can drive into a shop that works on them regularly and have the flash done in person?
Just trying to understand tunes and what they do.

From the JB1- JB4 information that I've read, it does falsify few inputs to mainly increase boost (among other things), are you saying max boost pressure is a safety limiter?

Wouldn't then a full blown ECU tune that increases boost by 1-2PSI, bypass the same "safety limiter" as intended from the factory?

I don't believe JB1-4 modifies any EGT settings or other critical safety limiters, again I could be wrong, just trying to learn.

Sorry if this is a tangent and out of the line for the topic of tuning a 2015.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Burger tuning does not make a module for the VW diesels, I'll be testing the BMW diesel unit sometime for comparisons sake but know what to expect. What I've seen on the 1.8T, you can upload maps from a forum, have a base map, water meth and nitrous control, and can go through and increase the boost however you'd like by 500RPM increments. It's like making your own primitive map and you can plug it into a laptop. Honestly I think the system is genius and it's worlds ahead of other piggyback systems we've seen, you just need to account for the offsets with all of your data. Those newer siemens gas ECUs are very clever so you can get away with more on them, plus this thing had a lot of plugins. Burger tuning has proven themselves consistent over a decade with a variety of BMW offerings, a lot of these piggy back companies come out of the woodworks when there's a new platform and trick people with throttle mapping and things the ECU tunes out over time. Then dry up once a few forum posts expose them and change their name. Don't know how some of them sleep at night.

The safety limiters, such as over-boost conditions, are still kept intact. The difference is that if you make 22 PSI tuned, the ECU reads 22, and if you spike to say 28 it will throw the car into limp mode. If you're running stock boost of say 21 PSI, the module is hitting 24, then you could over-boost to 31 or so before throwing the same overboost code. Also keep in mind that we're not increasing boost much on this platform, almost all of the power comes from fuel mapping, the turbo is pretty far across it's efficiency range from factory. Some of these cheaper bits are just resistors that result in a linear offset, which is not what you want. This was a problem on the VE and PDs years ago, and where are those companies now when it comes to accountability?

Note: I have no affiliation with burger tuning, I'm just a fan of what I've seen so far and it is so rare to see a quality piggy back system. Tried one from Unichip/Eurocompulsion on an abarth awhile ago and was genuinely worried I was going to blow the car up.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ahh that makes sense, knowing that the overboost protection will also be skewed.

As a 1.8t gen 3 owner I've heard great things, being cheap, and warranty friendly is big plus.

alvinM3

TDI
2011 Golf TDi
Doesn't the ECU show how many times it has been flashed? Or does the counter reset with a bench flash? Wouldn't the service dept. be able to tell that the ECU has been taken out?
If you have the tuner with both, stock and oem tunes, you can revert for the dealer and switch back when you get the car back.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Ahh that makes sense, knowing that the overboost protection will also be skewed.
As a 1.8t gen 3 owner I've heard great things, being cheap, and warranty friendly is big plus.
Just to give you an idea how this car performs on an accurate dyno. Really impressed with this motor, only 15HP or so down from a stage 2+ MK6 GTI (both ours and competitors). I had some tuned EA288 comparisons too, but some competitors might try to use that data against us. Meanwhile I couldn't get a full throttle run in 4th from 1600-redline without hitting the EGT limiter and bogging out on their file :rolleyes:
Stock vs JB1
https://i.gyazo.com/f2722acccf4a4c1d5c59a1149efd027f.png
Stock vs tune
https://i.gyazo.com/22426723216c6e97e0212d27ed62e9f6.png
JB1 vs tune
https://i.gyazo.com/5dda91996f9007090ed52663bbb96316.png
Tuned vs stock EA288
https://i.gyazo.com/f9aeb0ede4e1170ec87ad1f22b48b851.png
Tuned vs stage 2 EA189 with stock exhaust and hollowed out DPF (only run to 3500, was testing an exhaust fan in the shop)
https://i.gyazo.com/f4276c63b06fe45dc5b4ad08782f26c6.png

It took us a half dozen or so files to get the boost to build smoothly on the 1.8T, it's a very tiny turbo so the spool is aggressive and takes some time to get right in terms of control. You can see that the JB1 can't account for that as well based off the wiggle around peak torque. Car even does that stock though.

Doesn't the ECU show how many times it has been flashed? Or does the counter reset with a bench flash? Wouldn't the service dept. be able to tell that the ECU has been taken out?
Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Yes, unless bench flashed with anti tamper screw removal, then reinstalling new screws and making sure it all looks proper, the dealership will be able to tell the car has been modified. If you're not buddy buddy with your service manager, it might be best to leave the car alone. We use the same tools as our competitors so they are not immune either.

Last edited:

Scongiundi

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (6spd manual), 2015 Jetta TDI SE (6spd manual)
I'm intrigued with the tuning options for my 2015. But I share the same concerns as others... brand new car with the Phase I "fix" with this amazing warranty and the possibility of warranty being voided if dealer realizes the tune.

I am interested to hear from folks who have gotten a tune on their "fixed" 2015s.

Huckleberrybeetle

TDI
2015 GSW Tdi
2015 gsw tdi

So my 2014 Passat tdi got blown away in a 2015 tornado and I just got my first 2015 tdi gsw post dieselgate. Doesn’t seem like the mileage I was getting in the passat.

Looking for an eco tune and not set on doing a dpf delete just yet unless I have some code issues with the system. Would the stage 2 Malone and dsg sound like a solid option for this car to increase eco?

In dallas, not many tuning options for diesels around here. Non regulated diesel emission state too.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With any power tune, it'll be up to your right foot if you get any better MPG. Pulls are addictive.

I can say we've got just as good MPGs with a '15 stage 2, but can't say it's really noticeably better than stock phase 1 fix or our older '12 stock. It won't be until you cut that dpf off will you see some really noticeable mpg improvements.

Sad Panda

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI
So my 2014 Passat tdi got blown away in a 2015 tornado and I just got my first 2015 tdi gsw post dieselgate. Doesn’t seem like the mileage I was getting in the passat.
Looking for an eco tune and not set on doing a dpf delete just yet unless I have some code issues with the system. Would the stage 2 Malone and dsg sound like a solid option for this car to increase eco?
In dallas, not many tuning options for diesels around here. Non regulated diesel emission state too.
I have a 15 gsw/fix and went with Kerma back in July, had a very slight mpg improvement but not much. Recently though they have been working more and more on their tune and now I am getting at least 15% increase in mpg. I drive like an ******* and am getting 480 miles per tank, on their first release I was managing 400-415. First version was in the summer and now it is winter in chicago so I expect over 500 in the summer. Seems like they have been tweaking the post injection while cruising since they figured out how to get calculated DPF load to be more realistic with actual load. I now go over 450 miles between regens instead of 250 post fix.
I have two different tune files, I prefer their 1+ tune which is much more aggressive WOT so it cuts fuel earlier due to EGT but I like to have the short punchy burst instead of going full throttle from 0-100.

VWjunkie

TDI
15 GSW SEL
I have a 15 gsw/fix and went with Kerma back in July, had a very slight mpg improvement but not much. Recently though they have been working more and more on their tune and now I am getting at least 15% increase in mpg. I drive like an ******* and am getting 480 miles per tank, on their first release I was managing 400-415. First version was in the summer and now it is winter in chicago so I expect over 500 in the summer. Seems like they have been tweaking the post injection while cruising since they figured out how to get calculated DPF load to be more realistic with actual load. I now go over 450 miles between regens instead of 250 post fix.
I have two different tune files, I prefer their 1+ tune which is much more aggressive WOT so it cuts fuel earlier due to EGT but I like to have the short punchy burst instead of going full throttle from 0-100.

How recent did they update their tune? I would love a little more MPG. I did my tune in May.

Sad Panda

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI
You've got mail
lol, that was awesome. It would be amazing if you guys had some sort of blog/news link on your site so we could tell when you have made changes to specific engine tunes so we don't need to email you all the time to see if there are any updates. Awesome though that you are so active on the forums that you spot a "wonder if kerma has a new file?" post and send them an update minutes later haha.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Holy hell that is indeed awesome. My 15 golf is running the Kerma tune, now I also wonder if anything has changed since August, haha. Saw this thread a while ago with mention of an update to the tune, never got around to sending that email inquiring about it, which I will be sending in about 10 minutes. :)

Geist296

TDI
2015 GSW SEL DSG White with Quartz/Black interior
Haven't had any problems with post "fix" cars, tuning them daily.

DSG tunes definitely liven the car up and raise the torque limiter, but it's not as intrusive as on the earlier motors. DSG tuning can only be done with the KessV2 through the transmission port located under the air box. We can rent those out for those in remote areas.
Owain,

My plan was just to do cosmetics with my GSW seeing as I have a Stg3 Mk6 R, That being said I dropped off my wheels and tires to get ready for the spring/summer( I know itchin' ) that being said found out the place I dropped them is Euro tuners, he said once I get the next phase done I should come back do a full delete with Malone ECU/DSG tune( I have read and know people with Malone and well now I am considering ) How is the reliability with the Stg 2 tune with the full delete, will probably go with a Rawtek exhaust as well and the DSG tune? I drive 50 miles one way to work and want to keep a reliable daily driver. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Rick

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
How is the reliability with the Stg 2 tune with the full delete, will probably go with a Rawtek exhaust as well and the DSG tune? I drive 50 miles one way to work and want to keep a reliable daily driver. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Rick
I have 50k miles on my deleted '15, 70k total miles. Zero issues. If you're not keen on keeping the warranty, there's nothing to worry about.

EDIT: I have a used (40k miles) buzzken downpipe just laying around that I'll let go for a bargain ;)

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Owain,
How is the reliability with the Stg 2 tune with the full delete, will probably go with a Rawtek exhaust as well and the DSG tune? I drive 50 miles one way to work and want to keep a reliable daily driver. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Rick

Haven't had any problems at all, these motors are pretty stout and with the stock turbo they aren't really trying. With deletes the DSG will probably need to be tuned, or lower RPM torque limited.

Geist296

TDI
2015 GSW SEL DSG White with Quartz/Black interior
Haven't had any problems at all, these motors are pretty stout and with the stock turbo they aren't really trying. With deletes the DSG will probably need to be tuned, or lower RPM torque limited.

Thanks, Yeah if I do the tune I will do the DSG tune as well. Since it will have more HP an TQ, I know the factory setting to the trans will not hold up for too long.

Organdonor

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sedan 6MT
My 2011 Jetta iis in at the dealer getting the "fix," as well as the timing belt changed. 85k miles. It's a 6M, and I wondered which Malone tune would be best.

Also, if I take the car into a tuner close to me that does them, how long should I expect it to take?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With Malone or Kerma, I'd spend the $170+ for the hand held tuner, its kind of worth it IMO.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
My 2011 Jetta iis in at the dealer getting the "fix," as well as the timing belt changed. 85k miles. It's a 6M, and I wondered which Malone tune would be best.

Also, if I take the car into a tuner close to me that does them, how long should I expect it to take?
TB change 35k miles early?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
With Malone or Kerma, I'd spend the $170+ for the hand held tuner, its kind of worth it IMO.
Having your own tool you can go back to stock, as I may have to do when taking the car back to the dealer for the Phase 2 this year.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I even flashed back to stock for the free 10K oil change on VWoA dime, figure it couldn't hurt.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Flashzilla

FYI I think its the same device Kerma uses just different stickers on it.

Stamie

TDI
02 Golf GLS 324,000 all stock original..... 2013 Passat tdi se 62,000 same
Flashzilla will ease your concerns

Life is not worth living in fear. GO FOR IT ! *** !