Touch screen radio DEAD on my 2011 TDI Sportwagen

arlinevg

TDI
Jetta Sportwagon
My 2011 Jetta TDI Sportwagen is out of warranty, only because of time lapse, not mileage, only have 29,798 miles. Started the car yesterday and the radio screen is dead, dead, dead. I have noted that MANY people have posted on-line about the same issue. Dealers don't cover and at some places were asking $800 to replace and charging for you to bring it in just for them to diagnose! I have never heard of such a thing and am fairly outraged. Only 29 K miles on a car with a radio that was rarely played and it's now dead and I'm supposed to suck it up? I haven't called the local dealership yet, but I will soon. Wanted to do my research before. I know I can probably buy a replacement radio from somewhere else and install myself, at least I've seen that posted frequently as a less $$ alternative fix. Anyone have any other suggestions or have heard/experienced this? I am seething that VW has obviously installed a radio with defects and is not stepping up to do the right thing. I might be more understanding if I had owned the car a few years longer and this happened, but honestly this car still looks and smells new! I had been delighted with the car up until now........:mad:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, very common. One died on one of our techs on a test drive... owner of the car was not happy.

And what really sucks is, a couple of the exchange units we got in died a few weeks later and had to be warranted right away.

Chinese innards. :(

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
After a call to the dealership I would call VW corp of America , good luck

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
sorry to hear about your touchscreen loss. Definitely call VWOA and talk to them. If they say you are SOL, then look in the classifieds here, vortex, and on ebay for a replacement. You could even get an aftermarket that may offer better functionality than the stock ones. I have a nav unit and regret buying it as I always use my phone for nav. good luck.

Micajah

TDI
2010 Sportwagen
Dead radio is happening a lot.

Radio working fine one moment then poof - not working at all - dead screen - nothing functioning. Checked fuses - one in fusebox under the hood, one in he head unit behind the connector - both are fine. Apparently it's a common problem with these radios on the Jetta line from 2010 on and it can happen at any mileage dealer will replace if it's still under warranty (in some cases) otherwise you are SOL (simply outta luck) - here a list of about at least 150 plus owners who have the same thing happening. http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discuss...9660#msg371900

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I'm likely going to upgrade mine to an aftermarket soon so if you can't get resolution I'd offer mine up to you for a reasonable price if you're interested in just replacing the one you have with a stock unit.

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline
There are numerous threads on this subject, I keep reading some ppl unplug the battery for 15 minutes (and plug it back) and the radio comes back to life.