Braking ?

Kelly6773

TDI
2011 JSW
I've owned a 11 JSW since mid sept and finally drove it moderate rain. After traveling 50 miles on the interstate and slowing down for an exit I could feel brakes grab but it felt like they weren't grabbing until 3-4 seconds after I pushed brake pedal. It seemed like they were wet and dried off pressing lightly. I hope that makes some sense I've owned many makes & models of cars but never had that happen before. It did it two more times as I traveled. I did visually check pads and at least 1/4" of pad. Is that normal for an JSW?

Kelly6773

TDI
2011 JSW
It did sit all weekend and the strange feeling ill call it did happen in the first 75 miles the rest of the 225 miles no problems. Yes both my vehicles do rust up rotors really bad! It' seems to be the climate.

Last edited:

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
brakes

had a 13 sel prem Passat, brakes were horrible, dealer replaced rotors and pads not much improvement in a panic stop situation I would have never got the car under control and stopped, my 13 sportwagen is the same I purposely leave a little extra distance to the car in front, giving me a little more room to stop

Kelly6773

TDI
2011 JSW
But the strange thing is I've put 10,000 miles on it and it's never done it before. And it only did it twice when I first started out in the rain. Hasn't been an issue since just thought it was odd.

fowvey

Veteran Member
TDI
(2014 Jetta TDI DSG) -Gone, but not forgotten, 2014 Audi A6 TDI
For the jetta the brakes will be marginal at best when theyre cold. but once i am on the highway, it is like something changes and when you need to stop, they stop. Mine grab hard when coming to a stop but I figured that was part of the dsg/dynamic slowdown program.

jjz777

TDI
'02 Jetta 02J, '15 Beetle 3 pedal Traded, RIP '12 JSW DSG
I've owned a 11 JSW since mid sept and finally drove it moderate rain. After traveling 50 miles on the interstate and slowing down for an exit I could feel brakes grab but it felt like they weren't grabbing until 3-4 seconds after I pushed brake pedal. It seemed like they were wet and dried off pressing lightly. I hope that makes some sense I've owned many makes & models of cars but never had that happen before. It did it two more times as I traveled. I did visually check pads and at least 1/4" of pad. Is that normal for an JSW?

My '12 has the same issue. I noticed it while driving in the rain and snow. I agree with afarfalla, just leave extra room.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I know when the brakes get wet they do not grab well. Once they dry they are much better. My '10 does have a brake drying feature, where it lightly applies the brakes to dry them off. This becomes active when the wipers are turned on.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
I'd guess / agree it's a wet brake issue, too. My '14 JSW does it to a small degree. Not sure exactly the cause, but it's sometimes associated with cars that have large brakes- they need some time to warm up and evaporate the water. I had a 2009 CC 4motion that awful brake delay when wet- sometimes several seconds, even cramming hard on the pedal. I got to know it, and would ride the brakes lightly in the early parts of off-ramps etc, to warm them up a bit so they'd be there when I really wanted them.

jrt750

TDI
2014 Jetta
I have 2014 Jetta 2L Gas . The brakes are horrible however what your are stating sounds completely normal to me . All cars I have ever owned do this "GM,Hyundai, Toyota, Honda including all my motorcycles" The rotors are wet , this water has to wiped be off before the brake pad can contact the rotor and do its job. The water acts like a lubricate . The rotor conditions will also have an effect but the same applies . As afarfalla states give your self some more distance behind other vehicles in lousy weather , just makes sense we get enough of it up here.

Ive been responding to another post about my horrible brakes if interested .

Other post > Delayed brakes.

Regards John
Scarborough,Ontario,Canada.