2010 Golf Custom Winter Grill Cover

r3trol0gic

Vendor
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT
Just thought I'd share my weekend project with you all.

Since winter is at the doorstep here in the Northeast, I have been contemplating a grill cover for my Golf. Taking a look around, the only viable retail option I found was from the good folks at IDParts.

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?
products_id=3930&osCsid=4h4520m3ur39m84p0livqpsio5

Unfortunately the list price for this was a non-starter for me - just not worth that much in my opinion. I am not here to argue for whether or not that price is fair, just that it was not in my budget. Anyway, fostering the DIY spirit I took on the challenge of making one myself.

Materials:
1 Package Velcro One-Wrap - $12.49 (before 60% off coupon)
1.5 Yards Black Hatched Vinyl Fabric - $8.99 (sale)
1 Spool Red Outdoor Thread - $3.49
1 Spool Black Thread - $2.99
1 Package 3/8" Elastic - $1.99
---------------------------------------
Total Cost - $22.46 + tax

I spent a couple of hours using some paper and iterating through cutouts of the top and lower grills until I had a fit I was happy with. After that, it was to the cutting and sewing and this is what I have so far. I still have to complete the bottom grill cover, but I am very happy with the results for the top section (which I bvelieve is the more difficult one to do). Once I get the bottom one finished, I will post more pics.

How it works:

The main adhesive is the velcro, the stitched sections can be seen in the pictures. I used a dremmel to cut 4 slots in the top flat ridge of the grill (under the hood, will post pics later) - allowing me to wrap 4 loops of velcro (double sided, aka One-Wrap) around the grill. This attaches to the sewn on sections on the cover. In addition, there is a small bit of elastic that connects the two pieces together that runs under the VW emblem for tension purposes. Finally, the ends that conform nicely to the headlight angles are secured with flaps that I sewed on to the edge of the cover in those sections. The flaps simple wedge tightly into the 3/16" or so gap between the headlights and the grill itself. I think this small effort makes it look quite polished. As a finishing touch, I chose to use a red thread for the border.

So - assuming I dont mess up with the bottom piece, I have a great looking set of grill covers for under $25 and I had a great time working on it.

For Comparison

The above image via IDParts.com

Last edited:

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Sorry, I have never seen any value in these devices. My engine warms up fine even in the coldest weather I see here in CT (or Mass.) Any gains in fuel economy are eaten up by the cost of these devices.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Looks like a great project.

did you leave some space where the engine combustion air goes in?

r3trol0gic

Vendor
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT
Sorry, I have never seen any value in these devices. My engine warms up fine even in the coldest weather I see here in CT (or Mass.) Any gains in fuel economy are eaten up by the cost of these devices.
I've heard mixed opinions on this exact point. Even more reason not to shell out 100 bucks. I think my investment is a more reasonable amount, and more easily recouperated if there are FE gains. Also, for me the benefits are not just in any gained FE but it the speed at which the engine comes up to temp. That is a benefit whose price-point is up to the consumer - similar to the investment in a FrostHeater
Looks like a great project.
did you leave some space where the engine combustion air goes in?
There is some space behind the physical grill where air can enter the intake. I have not seen issues with this (yet). My assumption is that the blocked off grill will force suction from the warmer engine compartment.

Kluch

TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2 door, manual
Pretty sweet man. Great job. If you started making these, I might buy one!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
r3trol0gic, what about the lower grill? That's where most of the air gets in.

I can tell you from experience that these covers make a difference in cold weather. A few years ago I drove to Detroit and on the first part of the trip (on the Mass Pike) the outside temp was around 0F. My coolant would hover at 160 going up hills, 150 down, according to my Scangauge. The next year, at similar temps, with the cover, it stayed between 170 and 180.

And in my MKVI Golf I get heat a mile sooner in the AM with the lower cover only than without, when it's in the 20s or teens outside. I think the big benefit on the newer Jetta/Golf/NB is the possibility for less IC icing, since the intercooler system will be running at higher temps than it would without the cover.

Does the car need it? No. Does it help? Yes.

Dan-o

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Looks great. I may be looking into doing this myself. Would like to see more finished pictures.

r3trol0gic

Vendor
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT
r3trol0gic, what about the lower grill? That's where most of the air gets in.
I am working on the bottom piece still. I was more concerned with how the upper grill cover would turn out (more difficult to produce). Now that I am satisfied in how it looks/works I'm going to finish making the lower grille cover. Since I have a front license plate, I am taking that into account with the shape - I don't think this is done on the IDParts product. I will post pics when its done

Where did you get the vinyl material from? It looks great I may try something like that.
I go it from Joann fabrics. It is a nice vinyl, looks great up close. The current pics don't really capture the texture. I believe it was 17.99 a yard, but it was 50% off when I got it...

So, the link below is the one I used - still on sale! Zoom into the pic to see the texture better.

Joann Black Trexx Vinyl

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I've heard mixed opinions on this exact point. Even more reason not to shell out 100 bucks. I think my investment is a more reasonable amount, and more easily recouperated if there are FE gains. Also, for me the benefits are not just in any gained FE but it the speed at which the engine comes up to temp. That is a benefit whose price-point is up to the consumer - similar to the investment in a FrostHeater

There is some space behind the physical grill where air can enter the intake. I have not seen issues with this (yet). My assumption is that the blocked off grill will force suction from the warmer engine compartment.

Just take a close look. my 09 looks like it sucks all/most of the air for combustion from the top of the drivers side of the grille, just under the hood.

perhaps the MK VI is a little different.

engineered2win

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
Just take a close look. my 09 looks like it sucks all/most of the air for combustion from the top of the drivers side of the grille, just under the hood.

perhaps the MK VI is a little different.
+1 If anyone has ever opened their hood and looked around they would notice that the intake for the airbox was above the upper grille. The upper grille block does not restrict air to the snorkel.

I bought the grille blocks from ID Parts and they were cake to install. I've been running them for a few weeks and my fuel economy and engine warmup times have noticeably improved. I've ran the full blocks all the way up to around 60*F and the fans never turned on. I'm not a huge fan of the grille block asthetically, but it is growing on me. Combined with the winter steelies it takes on a new look.

r3trol0gic

Vendor
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT
+1 If anyone has ever opened their hood and looked around they would notice that the intake for the airbox was above the upper grille. The upper grille block does not restrict air to the snorkel.
Yes, this is indeed correct. While there is a section of the intake that is located inside the grill assembly, there is a vented area on the top of the grill assembly that allows air intake from the engine bay.

engineered2win:

I'm curious, how does the IDParts cover attach? My approach thus far was for equal functionality while generating a clean-line and more of a sporty look.

r3trol0gic

Vendor
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT
Hey all - I finally got around to finishing the bottom grill cover. I ended up changing the stitch pattern a bit, more of a sportier look. I think I will upgrade the top grill cover to the new stitch, but for now the function is there and the aesthetics will follow. These are very easy to put on and remove, so if the temperature fluctuates its not a big deal to just take it off for a short period.

New edge finish stitch:

Lower Grill:

Top Grill Setup:

Complete Set:

If anyone is interested in one of these, send me a PM - more than happy to accommodate. Right now this one is designed for the 2010 Golf/JSW grill but I'm sure I can accommodate more models with some time/effort. Let me know!

Last edited:

BEXE

TDI
2012 JSW
It only cost 22 and change in materials, but what about your time? My opportunity cost is too great to waste on making something so I picked up the idparts setup. It took me 5 min to install and it's cake to take out when it warms up. I bet stitching and etc you have 2 hours of your time in making the setup minimum. I'm well over $100 in 2 hours at my oppurtunity cost. Yours looks great though.

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Highline w/DSG ; 2003 Jetta ALH w/5spd
BEXE -
What about his pride in creating a superior product? I don't think anyone can argue his is inferior to the iDParts cover. Time and road conditions will determine how long each stays functional and looking good though...

Also, maybe not everyone makes as much money as you do. The more you make, the easier it is to buy instead of DIY....

r3trol0gic

Vendor
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT
It's all good. BEXE, I understand your point, opportunity costs are unique to the individual so even though it does take some time, it's an enjoyable experience for me. Even if it costed nearly the same, I like DIY projects and would still try to tackle it. Not to mentioan the fact that my goal was better, not just cheaper :)

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
Clearly you still have your egr :-/ I need one of these asap.

MichVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW DSG. 2011 Golf TDI 4DR 6MT
It's all good. BEXE, I understand your point, opportunity costs are unique to the individual so even though it does take some time, it's an enjoyable experience for me. Even if it costed nearly the same, I like DIY projects and would still try to tackle it. Not to mentioan the fact that my goal was better, not just cheaper :)
I Installed the IDparts covers about a week ago on my 2011 Golf and 2014 Sportwagen. I like them. However, if I could sew, I would have also made a DIY set. I too like small projects and think the ones you made look awesome. I am a bit leary of the velcro attachment points on the IDparts covers. 2 1inchx1inch pieces of velcro hold each top cover in place. I really like how you fitted yours! Nice, professional looking work!

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
I was liking the iDParts covers also, from a distanced photo. The price turned me away, and then the install video on the site just confirmed my decision. Way too much money for the quality, fit, and finish.

They should have used little fabric elastics, with small little hooks and button snaps to fasten the top grill covers. (Hook bottom on rear side of bottom slat, then pull taught and snap into place, with supplied button snaps. User would have to screw button snaps onto upper grill, hidden by a closed hood. Or, simply elastics with little hooks that attach to various spots underhood, determined by elastic lengths.)
Not sure there is much better fastening option for the bottom though ...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Believe it or not, they stay put. I had the lower cover on my Golf all last winter, and even went through a couple car washes with it on. It didn't budge.

We looked at lots of attachment options, including hooks. Velcro and "pillows" ended up being the best solution: they stay on and avoid any damage to the car.

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
Im not suggesting they DON'T stay put. I'm also not opposed to the pillows. Personally, I think squares of Velcro look sloppy under the hood. Also, it's the little things that iDParts missed, like cutting material to fit the grill properly, where the inner corners of the headlights are...

r3trol0gic

Vendor
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT
Any TDIers in Central NY interested in offering up their cars for fitting? Jetta and Passat TDIs specifically. A free cover is my barter :)

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
Nice Cover!!

R3, nice cover!!! In the interest of testing, I tried the Golf / JSW style covers.
Yes, real nice and a perfect fit. The stitching is real sharp looking and follows the lines perfect. Simple attachment with Velcro and easily removable when needed.
The quality shows with the close fitment around the headlights and Badge. Neat sewed-on tabs help lock the cover into the ends between the grill and lights.
Nice, clean and well designed.
Great job R3, proud to have them on my car!!!
.Simple, clear instructions and nice Velcro strips.

See the quality edges and tabs to lock into the groove between the headlights and grill.

Perfect fit, no gaps and nice clean look!!
Awesome!!
All the best,
Andrew