NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
What would it take to produce Euro quality lubricity in the USA? Are we just talking additives or are we talking about massive Refinery redesign?
No effort at all. Th US already produces diesel fuel for European usage.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
maybe they will end up doing like the exhaust flap and extend the warranty to 10 years / 120,000 miles

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Tell that to the lady whose VW TDi stopped abruptly in the middle of toll road and died in the subsequent crash (one of the stories documented in the NHTSA report).

Not all blown HPFP happen in your driveway.
I haven't sat down and read all of the NHTSA information, but this is the first comment I've seen about someone loosing their life. Could you post or point to the details?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Tell that to the lady whose VW TDi stopped abruptly in the middle of toll road and died in the subsequent crash (one of the stories documented in the NHTSA report).

Not all blown HPFP happen in your driveway.
If this is false (and I do believe it is), then this guy^^^ should be put on tdiclub time-out.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I might be mistaken but I think a fatality that can be traced to a fault in the car is an automatic recall demand by NHTSA.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
May not be an automatic recall but should have made the press pay attention.

NewLyme

Veteran Member
TDI
His 2006 Jetta TDI DSG. Hers 2016 Touareg TDI 2013 Golf TDI DSG Buyback
maybe they will end up doing like the exhaust flap and extend the warranty to 10 years / 120,000 miles
2012 Golf TDI. Exhaust flap bad at 44,xxx miles. Car was 11 months old at the time. Repair performed at VW dealership. $826.xx. No warranty.

Not trying to cause trouble. If you know something I don't please share. I would like my money back!

roostre

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
2012 Golf TDI. Exhaust flap bad at 44,xxx miles. Car was 11 months old at the time. Repair performed at VW dealership. $826.xx. No warranty.

Not trying to cause trouble. If you know something I don't please share. I would like my money back!

This post from JSWTDI09 includes a link to the recent March 12, 2013 VW TSB "VWP-13-05" announcing a "10 Year or 120,000 Mile" Exhaust Flap Limited Warranty Extension:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4127523#post4127523

Last edited:

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW

yes they extended the warranty of the flap 10 years or 120K miles, I've got mine replaced friday on my 09 with 114K miles at no cost ;)

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Interesting tidbit. NHTSA opened an investigation into the Honda Pilot initiating braking without driver input last October and has already announced the recall.
Whats taking so long on this investigation.
Is VW playing hard to get or does NHTSA simply not understand the problem and therefore cannot force the recall?

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
It doesn't make sense that it is taking this long. Even if it's to absolve VW they should have more than enough info by now.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I think the problem is that it's not a huge safety issue.. There haven't been any reported injuries or fatal accidents due to the "design flaw" of the pump, so there likely won't be a recall..

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I think the problem is that it's not a huge safety issue.. There haven't been any reported injuries or fatal accidents due to the "design flaw" of the pump, so there likely won't be a recall..
Or it simply doesn't impact enough vehicles to warrant a recall? (or at least they haven't gotten enough complaints?)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I agree that the real slowdown for the recall has more to do with no injuries. The numbers seem small (~2%), unless it has happened to you, but there have been recalls done on lower failure rates.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If NHTSA has no grounds for a recall (quite possible - not a significant safety-related problem), dragging it out like this does have the effect of holding VW's feet to the fire with regards to warranty coverage. That's not a bad thing, but sooner or later, it will come to an end.

TDI WNY

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
I have 59,400 miles on my 2010 JSW TDI. Is VW repairing HPFP failures after 60,000? I tried searching the question and couldn't find an answer. Thanks.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
Mileage

I have 59,400 miles on my 2010 JSW TDI. Is VW repairing HPFP failures after 60,000? I tried searching the question and couldn't find an answer. Thanks.
Early on there were a number of repairs over 100,000 miles. I don't think that anyone really knows what their formal policy is now. It seems to depend a lot on the dealer.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
As noted above it does seem to depend perhaps on how persistent you are and how good your dealer is.

They have been covered beyond 60,000.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
pumps are going for about $650 now, as I'm hitting 60k on a modded car, I'm getting 2 micron's pure flow kit and have already installed the contain flow, I'm pretty confident with these two additions my fuel system will take a pump implosion in relative stride.

Even if my car was bone stock I don't know Id leave my fuel system to its devices hoping vw would extend my warranty if it implodes.. for the few hundred dollars I figure this has the effect of making a fuel pump repair just like a timing belt change.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Seems keeping owners in the dark is not an entirely isolated thing within the VAG group...
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/201...ction-against-audi-gets-preliminary-approval/

The suit – Anna Sadowska and Yanick Godbout v. Volkswagen Group of America – was filed in January 2011.
It contends that the continuously variable transmissions had manufacturing and design flaws that caused them to fail, leaving owners facing thousands of dollars in repair bills.
It further asserts that Audi knew about these problems and concealed them from consumers.
In the settlement, Audi denied the transmissions were defective and said it “acted properly and in compliance with applicable laws and rules.” The automaker also said it was “also mindful of the fact that future protracted litigation, with the burdens and uncertainties it creates, may not be in the best interests of their customers.” So, the automaker agreed to the settlement.
Maybe by the last part of the statement, there's a silver lining?

Hey VWGoA, the overwhelming majority of your customers would rather see you own up to a problem; acknowledge and admit to the existence of said problem; engage your customers rather than antagonize and keep them in the dark; and deliver a technical fix of the root cause rather than future protracted litigation and legal settlements! What a concept, eh? Later!

Last edited:

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
They need to extend the Torque Converter warranty also while at it... They drop like flies on all the 5HP powered VW and Audis all the time.