Sun/moonroof

Tractortechy

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
I tried to search for it and I’m not having any luck but i’m just curious and trying to find out. What do people recommend on the sun roof? Should use it or not? Are they prone to leaking if they are used? I’ve used it a couple times now and I just want to know weather I should with warmer weather in the future. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I use mine to cool off the car during the summer and i wash the car frequently especially during pollen season.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
umm. pull the valves off the ends of the drain pipes. then clean them out. i lubricated the slides of mine with a teflon dry spray. havent gotten to removing the valves on mine. but the teflon dry spray works well. Also if you have pine trees... clean the tubes regularly. Weed wacker string works good.

Tractortechy

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
umm. pull the valves off the ends of the drain pipes. then clean them out. i lubricated the slides of mine with a teflon dry spray. havent gotten to removing the valves on mine. but the teflon dry spray works well. Also if you have pine trees... clean the tubes regularly. Weed wacker string works good.

Where do the drain hoses come out at? Do you take the valves off and leave them off? Haw can I access the drains on top? Just open the sun roof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
they are in the front and back corners. should be videos on how to snake them out. The rear drains behind the rear wheel. You have to take the plastic arches out to get to them. the not sure where the fronts end up. You can either have to clean the valve out every 6 months, or just leave the thing off.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
passats dont tend to be as leaky as the cars with the panoramic sunroof.
Is that for certain? My experience with almost every VW I've had is the drains leaked, except on models that were new. I will say though my '14 hasn't leaked, yet.

As for use, I don't think they are any more likely to leak if you use them or not, you do run the risk of getting more debris in the drains if left open around trees. Lots of water gets past the seal even if closed, it is designed that way. There is a scheduled maintenance interval on lubing the sunroof rails, and if it sounds like it is struggling at all it is probably a good time to do so, before they get to that point would be the best.

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
I use my sunroof, but not very often. I've never had any issues with leaks or clogged drains. My car is garaged when home, and spends a few days a month at the local airport's parking lot. Never under any trees thankfully.

One of the aft drains is accessible from behind the fuel door by removing the fuel door itself and the rubber surround.

It's the red rubber tube in the pic:

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I use my sunroof, but not very often. I've never had any issues with leaks or clogged drains. My car is garaged when home, and spends a few days a month at the local airport's parking lot. Never under any trees thankfully.

One of the aft drains is accessible from behind the fuel door by removing the fuel door itself and the rubber surround.

It's the red rubber tube in the pic:

yeah the pano roofs are nuch more susceptible to drains plugging or the roof itself leaking.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Is that for certain? My experience with almost every VW I've had is the drains leaked, except on models that were new. I will say though my '14 hasn't leaked, yet.
I have had multiple but i think a lot has to do with what are the elements your car is exposed to... I havent had a fraction of the problems most do but i live in a pretty temperate climate with no extreme heat or cold and i keep my car in the garage. I have never once snaked out any of the 4 cars sunroofs (including my wife panoramic subaru) i have had in the past decade (and I keep cars a pretty long time too).