RNS510 No Boot

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Hey all, hoping I can get some pointers on what to do with this darned radio. It's in my wife's 2014 NMS TDI SEL, (manufactured in April) and what it's doing is the backlight for the radio screen and buttons will turn on blank at first, then the screen will have a horizontal white line flash for a second, then the backlight for the screen and buttons will go out for a few seconds, then repeat process. No noise, no backup camera, no nothing. I tried to hold down the arrow keys and star to force a reset, no such luck.

I was hoping I could find an ISO for a recovery disk or something, but it seems like the site that once hosted those is either gone, or experiencing issues. I have VCDS if it helps. Thanks!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Many have reported a firmware update will fix it that same issue.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Many have reported a firmware update will fix it that same issue.
I'd like to try that, but I'd hate to buy a firmware update if it isn't going to fix it. I read somewhere on Vorrtex there's a recovery firmware iso floating around, but couldn't find it. You have any hints on where to find one?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
check out the sticky for the RNS at the top of the page, it does sound like there are ebay copies from Croatia or some place people have had success.

We had the same issues, brought it to the dealer, we were at 38K (under B2B), they claimed they put in a new radio and VW ate the parts we paid the labor, was $150, I was okay with that.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I paid $20 for the update, i’ve fixed a few ‘14 passat rns 510s with it. Try holding star, eject and guide with the car off and radio on. You need to have it load that screen to do the update.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I paid $20 for the update, i’ve fixed a few ‘14 passat rns 510s with it. Try holding star, eject and guide with the car off and radio on. You need to have it load that screen to do the update.
I guess I'm up poop creek without a paddle on this one, holding down those buttons and the radio just does the same thing. Time to find an alternative then. Going to be fun trying to adapt the backup camera and steering wheel controls... Oh boy.